Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/17/2001 9:46:55 PM EDT
Hello all you Oregonians [:D]

My brother-in-law is moving to the Portland area the first of the year.
He's currently in TX.

What are the laws like up there?

Any good places to shoot/hunt?

Any info.,advice,insight appreciated.

THX

Link Posted: 12/17/2001 9:49:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I've spent some time in OR

He can get a CCW pretty easily.
Hunting and fishing opportunities abound.

Link Posted: 12/18/2001 12:54:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Also all class 3 items are okay. Only bummer is no more private sales at gun shows. He may want to join Tri-County gun club in Sherwood.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 1:42:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Oregon is pretty good with gun laws,some pretty good hunting and fishing too. Steel head fishing on the Wilson river and the Trask river are pretty good, Salmon fishing is pretty good on the Clackamas river,Willemmete river, and the columbia river.Elk hunting in the tilimook forest is good,and eastern oregon is good for hunting also in the Three sisters area. Personally i dont hunt anymore because there are alot of people who hunt in oregon and some people are pretty reckless, about 6 years ago i was shot at while deer hunting up in the woods outside of Vernonia. I mean how hard is it to see a bright orange vest,so i decided i valued my life. as far as shooting goes there is the tri-county gun club in sherwood cost is something like $285 for membership for a year,then in portland there is a pistol range called "The Place To Shoot". Pretty good range cost is $50 for membership and $10 to shoot every time you go to the range. There is a local IPSC competive shooting leage out at the Tri-county gun club that has defensive pistol compititions and a leage for 3 gun tactical shooting(Pistol,Shotgun,Pistol caliber AR-15's)
Concealed weapons permits are pretty easy to get for oregon is a "shall issue state" He will need to take a firearms safety class and receive a certificate from an NRA approved instructor, and  as long as their is no felony conviction,or domestic violance convictions from any other state he should be able to get a permit. Open carry in the Portland metro area is frawnd upon and is illegal in portland and beaverton.The gun shows in the area are ok to go to and look around but you have to be pretty careful who you buy from there are some slimmy dealers around that will lie to make a buck and they dont really care if they are selling illegal stuff so one needs to be cautious. But over all Oregon is good and friendly to gun owners. There is a standard state and Federal background check for purchase of all firearms. As far as state background checks go the state checks the state police data base,mental health data base,local police data base systems. Background checks take about 10-20 minutes and as long as you pass you can walk out the door with you weapon of choice that day, no cooling off periods or days waiting.Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 10:29:04 AM EDT
[#4]
THX for the replies
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 10:30:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Hell thanks for the bouncing boobs..
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 11:13:55 AM EDT
[#6]
And to all you non-Oregonians, it's pronounced Ory-gun, not Or-rah-gone.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 6:34:02 PM EDT
[#7]
btt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top