Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/17/2001 9:01:35 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 9:13:37 PM EDT
[#1]
The movie only covers book 1.  What you see in the trailers, like when she says "If you want him, come and claim him" is obviously not in the books.  They felt they had to expand her role.

Edit:  Is that not what you're asking?  Arwen is a very minor character in the books.  I can't even think of a specific time that she is mentioned in the first two books.
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 9:25:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Book I - Many Meetings.
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 9:46:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 10:17:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Woo hoo! The Tolkeinites are voicing concerns about about Peter Jackson changing the characters for the movie.

[url]dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ap/20011217/en/lord_of_rings_fans_2.html[/url]

"Verlyn Flieger, an English professor at the University of Maryland who has written two books on Tolkien, shares those concerns.

``This is the alteration of a scene, but also of a character,'' Flieger said. ``In the book, she [Arwen] is not a warrior woman. There is a warrior woman, Eowyn, but of course she won't come in until the second film, so I think there is a marketing dimension to this.''"
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 10:41:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I agree with the Tolkeinites,  the nude scenes with Liv and the Orcs were way over the line.

I'm sure the Orcs will say "but the water was cold"...

Link Posted: 12/17/2001 10:42:56 PM EDT
[#6]

"But Will Bishop, a 38-year-old bookstore employee who saw an advance screening of the film in Philadelphia, had no problems with the changes Jackson made and even liked Arwen, saying she brought a softer, more human feel to the story. "

Uh...that's nice and all but....

...she's a freakin' elf.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 4:21:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Its a BS PC attempt to stick a woman into a show about men (or, er, males). I cant recall Arwen having a more than wallpaper role in the books, she's hardly mentioned at all until the appendix. I guess they wanted to piece together more romance in the movie, there certainly wasnt any in the books.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 9:19:51 AM EDT
[#8]
What many people don't realize is that the trilogy is actually 6+ books.  Books 1-3 are [i]Fellowship of the Ring[/i], 4-5(?) are [i]The Two Towers[/i] and the rest are [i]Return of the King[/i].  Arwen shows up when they reach Rivendell, since that is where she lives with her father Elrond.  I can't remember if that's at the end of book 2 or in book 3.

loonybin
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 9:24:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Hey, Arwen fights alongside her male counterparts with no problems, laying waste to the orc hordes and dispatching the minions of Sauron like so many canapes. This proves that women should be allowed in combat MOS'es in the American military, and any attempt to prevent that is just the Penisocracy trying to preserve their sinecure!

Fight the power!
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 9:32:59 AM EDT
[#10]
I think the movie Arwen is a composite character of the books Arwen, Eowyn, and Galadriel (the character who actually stops the 9 Riders, IIRC). I've seen Liv Tyler acknowleging that Arwen was expanded for the movies to add some romance. If they do it well, more power to them. There are way too many characters to keep track of anyway, and her part should be minimal at best. Is it marketing, sure, but if the movie doesn't make any money there won't be any more Tolkein movies and the rest may not get finished (highly unlikely, but possible if the first only takes in 50-60 million. I suspect they will make 300+ with the first one, ensuring the other 2 get full funding for FX and marketing). LAter.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 10:36:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 10:50:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Arwen appears at the end of 'The Fellowship of the Ring' when the characters reach Rivendell.  She has a minimal role in the books.

Not sure how cool changing characters' importance in the story is...  I've read the books 3 times and even tried to make it thru the Silmarillion.  I hope they don't f**k it up too much, I have too many cool pics in my head.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 11:18:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Yep...many meetings...but I think it's book 2...whatever.

I suspect she will be at the Ford in place of Glorfindel.  Or possibly just added there to get her more screen time...fine...no biggy.

The river stops the riders at Elronds command...yes, even though he isn't there.

No Tom...no Barrow-Downs...pity...but the masses couldn't handle Tom...and Elrond can always hand out the Westernesse hardware, so...

Show about males?  Maybe, but Eowyn gets the best lines ever uttered in a fantasy story. In response to the Witchkings statement "Hinder me?  Thou fool, no living man may hinder me."

"But no living man am I! You look upon a woman! Eowyn I am, daughter of Eomund. You stand between me and my lord and kin. Begone, if you be not deathless! For living or dark undead, I will smite you, if you touch him!"

Yep...makes my hackles stand up just typing it.

Sorry...not trying to nit-pick....it's just that I fear greatly that one of the best stories ever written will die a PC death at the hands of hollywood.  

Just as Lucas has abandoned that which brought him greatness in favor of the muppet show.

Keep the faith.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top