Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 12/17/2001 4:50:52 PM EDT
I went down to the Biil of Rights rally this weekend. It was at a park right next to the state capitol. Libertarian canidate for Senate Rick Stanley Gave a speech about liberty. then proceeded to on purpose get arrested. He strapped on a handgun in a holster in protest of Denvers idiotic gun laws.His intent is to get a jury trial and challenge the costitutionality of the laws. my vote is brave.
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 4:58:05 PM EDT
Well, I hope he's not just plain crazy. It might work against him in court. But seriously, that's a courageous thing he did. Not many people are willing to sacrifice for what's right. I hope he wins.
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 5:34:34 PM EDT
I hope he wins too.
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 5:51:47 PM EDT
brave
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 5:55:26 PM EDT
If he has the money (or the financial backing) to actually make a good legal fight of it, he is brave. Otherwise, crazy.
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 5:59:31 PM EDT
I think that he is brave. O am glad to see that there are people out there who are still willing to stand up for their freedom.
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 6:04:03 PM EDT
"Only poor people are crazy. (Holding bag of randsom money) I'm eccentric..." -Dennis Hopper-Movie: SPEED
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 6:42:47 PM EDT
He has a pretty good lawyer. His lawyer has taken cases to the supreme court before and is a firm supporter of the second amendment. they plan on taking this case all the way to the Supreme Court if they have to.
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 6:43:25 PM EDT
Is it illegal to carry openly in Denver? Don't think so! But I've heard Denver (Aurora) cops state (jokingly?)... "Sure, he's got the right to keep and bear arms..... and I've got the right to put him spread eagle and face down on the pavement!". Cute....eh? DaMan
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 6:49:22 PM EDT
... When I rode through Colorado a few years back on the way to Sturgis I was carrying open. A LEO near Durango warned me that I had to remove, unload and hide during my pass through Denver.
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 7:00:37 PM EDT
Winston_Wolf: You carry openly when motorcycling through states to Sturgis? All I have to say is that both you and Mr. Stanley are brave. Though it's a damn shame that it all came to this. Kudos to you for exercising your right to carry open. Even though open carry is allowed, I shudder to think what would happen if I openly carried a 1911 down State Street or the West Towne Mall. I think I'd probably be meeting with the Madison version of the police officer that DaMan referenced.
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 7:11:36 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Winston_Wolf: ... When I rode through Colorado a few years back on the way to Sturgis I was carrying open. A LEO near Durango warned me that I had to remove, unload and hide during my pass through Denver.
View Quote
That Durango Leo knows the reputation of Denver City/County cops! The most corrupt and abusive department in the state of Colorado! DaMan
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 2:36:46 PM EDT
Mr. Stanley did not have a CCW and yes the Denver City Council vote to make the carrying of a loaded weapon illegal within the city/county of Denver. if he would have gotten a permit to carry in another city/county they couldn't do anything about it.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 2:39:08 PM EDT
Sounds brave to me.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 3:25:56 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Sparky: if he would have gotten a permit to carry in another city/county they couldn't do anything about it.
View Quote
I don't know about that. It is my understanding that you can not carry in Denver, even with a CCW. Am I wrong?
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 3:55:12 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Sparky: Mr. Stanley did not have a CCW and yes the Denver City Council vote to make the carrying of a loaded weapon illegal within the city/county of Denver.
View Quote
Mr. Stanley wasn't carrying "concealed" and the state of Colorado has no law against carrying openly! Why should Denver???!!! DaMan
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 4:40:59 PM EDT
I'm hoping for "smart."
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 6:36:14 PM EDT
Revised Municipal code section 38-117.5(b) City of Denver. Open carry of a loaded firearm is prohibited
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 7:31:39 PM EDT
Is it a criminal offense? If so, felony or misdemeanor? "Ordinances" around my parts indicate non-criminal forfeiture violations (like speeding ticket or not mowing your lawn).
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 7:49:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/19/2001 7:42:44 PM EDT by DScott]
My answer is at the end of this thread: [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=79164[/url] It goes like this: OK, I'll say it- I think the guy's a nut. He holsters a gun after giving a campaign speech, gets "arrested" and then is home three hours later. Pure symbolism. If you or I, as *regular citizens* did this, we'd have a helluva time. Would the news media pick it up or even care? Look how much press the Jarbridge *incident* garnered, and that was ALOT of people in defiance of the Feds... Ya gotta give him credit for guts... and for having enough money to pay good lawyers. Please check out his website, read his platform, then decide what this stunt is worth.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 8:02:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/19/2001 8:03:03 PM EDT by DaMan]
[url]http://198.202.202.66/Gun_Information/template2739.asp[/url] Does the City of Denver have the power to stomp on the Second Amendment? This is the challenge! DaMan
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 10:19:27 PM EDT
Back home in three hours try again. try 28hours Big press I don't thinks just a miniature write up in the Denver post. Was it on the news? nope. I was there not a camera in sight. wanna know what the scene was just ask. Not a big press item here in Denver.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 6:50:38 AM EDT
One of the original reports said he was out by 7:30 pm, following a 4:30 pm arrest. I can't find it now. None of the news links on his site detail the times, they're all self-generated for the most part. So *this* politician is a good one for some reason?
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 4:48:30 PM EDT
Even if it was only three hours, that's still three more hours than most folks will spend challenging a bad law. I'd rather have someone with a plan and a lawyer challenging the law than have another fiasco like the Miller case.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 4:59:33 PM EDT
What happened with Miller?
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 5:36:30 PM EDT
[i]United States v. Miller[/i] was a Supreme Court case in 1939 that upheld the National Firearms Act. It kept the Second Amendment from being used to overturn gun control laws for the next sixty years. The kicker is that generations of Americans were deprived of their rights because Miller, a bootlegger arrested for possession of a short-barreled shotgun, jumped bail and never showed up with his lawyer to argue in front of the Supreme Court. The case wound up being decided in the government's favor because no one was there to dispute the argument that a sawed-off shotgun was not a "militia weapon" covered by the Second Amendment. [url]http://www.geocities.com/hollywood/academy/9884/bp_Miller.html[/url] A fictionalized account of the case is given in the book "Unintended Consequences".
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 1:14:28 AM EDT
DScott not sure where you got your reports from but it doesn't suprise me they are fictional. The arrest actually happened at about 12:30- 12:45pm after a short but well said speech. He was released 28hrs later after posting a $1500 bail www.stanely2002. org
Top Top