Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/17/2001 6:56:35 AM EDT
I am 35 and my wife is 34. We are both professionals and in good health. We have two kids, 13 and 10. We have a 30-yr mortgage on the house and 24 more years to go on payments. All credit card bills are paid in full at the end of every month and only have one car payment. We contribute the max on both our 401K and also have company life insurance which is 3x what we each make. We also have a very strict savings plan that we adhere to every month.

Question:

Which is better for us, Term or Whole Life insurance? If Term, for how long?

How much should we insure ourselves?

Thanks for all your advise.

riddler
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 7:13:32 AM EDT
[#1]
My lay opinion- IIRC, term is fixed with no return of premiums, and whole-life is where there is some future return of premiums invested, right?  My recommendations:

Term, and for the period of time when you no longer have to support the kids or pay for their school... say, until they're 22 or so (and presumably past college).  The amount should be for whatever it woud cost to pay the house off and pay for educational expenses, so the survivors don't have to radically change their lifestyles mid-stream.  After that point, there is little left to protect, presuming you're also saving for retirement and the survivors will be able to support themselves.

Whole life is just a different way of investing, where you don't have as much control over where the money is invested and where the upper limit to the amount of profit you could make is capped.  Check expenses/costs for the two, and you'll see that term is cheaper overal, IIRC.  Now, if you've got no other retirement, there are more effective ways to achieve that goal, too.

Geez, I almost sound like I know what I'm talking about, huh!  Get professional advice from a non-interested party- NOT the guy selling the insurance!  [:D]
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 7:21:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks DScott for your insights!

BTT for all others to chime in.
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 7:55:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 8:00:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Here's simple way to determine the proper amount of life insurance one should have.

It's called the DIME method.

D- Death, how much will it cost to bury you and to pay off any medical bills incurred during you final days.  Those can be substantial.  
I- Income, if you die, where will the family get money to survive.  Would you want your wife to have to work?
M- Mortgage, pay off the mortgage or allow them to make the regular payments.  
E- Education, money to send your children to school.

You are probably looking at $350,000 to $1,000,000 in coverage to pick up the whole tab.  With term insurance, that could $50 to $150 per month in premiums.  With term insurance you get the most for the least amount of money.  Later in life you can probably convert that same term policy, regardless of any health issues, to a permanent policy or a reduced coverage permanent policy.  Of course the premiums will be higher.  

Be careful on selecting a whole life policy.  There are many different versions out there.  There are ones that pay dividends and ones that don't.  There's also variable life products which are connected to the stock market.  There's also ones with vanishing premiums, etc....and the list goes on.

Hope this helps.  
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 8:25:01 AM EDT
[#5]
beekeeper1

Oops!  I'm just a consumer of the stuff, after all!  [:D]

Sounds like our man here has alot of savings, and both he and his wife are working and are fully invested in company retirement plans.  Would ANY whole life make sense?
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 8:25:56 AM EDT
[#6]
You guys just reinforced what a friend of mine told me. He basically said to go for Term Insurance of 30 years. Whatever I save compared to Whole Life can be invested in some stocks or mutual fund and I will still come out ahead. Of course he did tell me to get maybe a $50,000 Whole Life on the side if my finances allow it. [:)]
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 8:30:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 8:35:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top