Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/16/2001 4:21:37 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 6:22:35 PM EDT
[#1]
If it were me, I'd go with the IROC without hesitation...
As long as the price was reasonable...

I've owned several 1st, 2nd, and 3rd generation F bodies...

'67 RS 327 4spd
'68 Spt cpe 327 AT
'70 Drag car 515 BBC w/NOS
'73 parts car
'76 parts car
'84 Z-28 H.O. 5spd...
'86 IROC TPI AT...
'88 Spt cpe. 305 TBI AT...

The 3rd gen. cars were all fast, fantastic low maintenance cars...
They were all over 135 mph at one time or another...

There are so many aftermarket parts for these things, you could just about build one from a magazine...
I personally don't care too much for the '93 and newer Camaros...
They just don't have the Muscle car lines...
If you're looking at an '88 IROC, it should have the 5 speed in it, not a 4 speed...
Also, the '87 and newer motors had hydraulic roller cams in them, making them more responsive and more HP...
Also, these cars handle like they're on rails...Much better than a '68 Chevy P/U...
They are well balanced while airborne too...(No nosedive)
My motto:
Drive'em like you stole'em...

I'm actually looking for another IROC to futz with in the spring...

Need something politically correct to play with...

Link Posted: 12/16/2001 6:35:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I sometimes miss my Mustang('89 Notchback), but I think I'm better off without it. I love going outside in the morning and turning the key in my new Silverado, and knowing that it's going to start, and keep running. The mustang was borderline undriveable on the street, but man it was fun! Someday I'll get a project car again, but for now I'll stay WAY below 160mph...
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 6:51:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 6:55:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Everybody needs a truck.
Some 20,000 original mile trucks need a 327.
[;)]

edited for:
reminders of insurance costs and "original" status values.
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 6:59:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I owned a 1988 IROC. I loved that car and regret selling it to this day.

Only down side to driving it was that it wasn't very forgiving to bumps in the road, especially during turns at speed.
On a smooth road it was a pleasure to ride all day long. Oh, it also wasn't too hot in the rain or when the road was wet.

I have to admit that my last car, a Lincoln Mark VIII was much faster and drove much better.
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 7:17:24 PM EDT
[#6]
The old truck will bring alot more money   that year Iroc has no HP  LOL 305ho ya that high outputI have a 69c10 fleet side 350 with 327 heads runs like a it's a** is on fire...and i also have a 69 camaro z28 clone

Semper-fi
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 7:55:22 PM EDT
[#7]
go with the truck.

no I-roaches.  [:D]

i must add that i'm not anti-camaro/chevy.  in fact, should i ever get around to saving up the money etc, etc, etc, i wanna re-build a '68-'70 chevelle.

but trucks are just freakin' cool!
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 8:03:49 PM EDT
[#8]
I love camaros.....but for some reason the IROC never appealed to me.  Had an 83 Z-28 that I loved with all my heart though.  Very fast car.  Absolutely sucked in the snow.  That being said, driving around in mint vintage steel is waaaaaaaaay cooler than any post, say, '73, camaro.  Just my opinion....now I'm into jeeps.
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 9:42:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies guys. I was hoping you would read this Art. BTW..your 70 Camaro was beautiful. Is your brothers Chevelle done yet?
The IROC probably does have a 5 speed. I've never been in it. The guy that owns it bought a Vette so he's getting rid of the IROC. I think I'm going to go with it unless he wants a crazy price for it. I have a 72 era 350 and a 327 short block kicking around here somewhere that need a home.[;)]
View Quote

Thanks for the kind words about my '70...Had to sell it to support Mom, and probably will never be able to afford another like it...Had alot of fun with it though (owned it for 12 years).
Wife and kids came along, so my hobbies had to downsize a bit...

Now I play with other peoples money and cars...[:)]

My brother's Chevelle isn't done yet, but wih the money he's throwing at it, we'll have it done & painted by spring...(He's 24 yrs old & makes $100,000+ a year)...
BTW ladies, he's still single!!!
(Has a nice home and a new 'vette too)

His Chevelle is basicaly gutted right now, with the motor/trans/rear being new and running...
Threw a seat in it last week, and took it for a spin around the block...
Runs pretty damn good for a 396...
I think he'll be REAL happy with it...
He's coming home Friday for the holidays, so he'll be frying tires soon enough...

BTW...
Pay no attention to the "iroach" comments...[:)]
Anyone who doesn't lke IROCS or Z's in that bodystyle, apparently never owned one...[:)]

Link Posted: 12/17/2001 9:58:42 AM EDT
[#10]
If you don't have a truck,get the steside.

But if you do the Camrao could be alot of fun.
The last one I had was a 85,I pulled the v6 out a put a something that did not make me feel like a fag in it[rolleyes](AKA 383[:)])

If you want to put a BUCH of time in to it.I have seen guys get 350-400hp out of 305s in street trim but them again I can get 600 out of a later 350ci in street trim.

BTW: there is a way to get a ZZ502 in that thing but it will cost you about 2,000 befor the motor,but you just may end up the only guy in Can. 1,000hp+ IROC[}:D]
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 12:55:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top