Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/15/2001 2:53:03 PM EDT
[url]http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/fr/591426/posts[/url]
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 3:00:11 PM EDT
Some should e-mail the producers/writer of the NBC tv show ER about this real incident.
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 3:27:51 PM EDT
Not that it will ever see print, but here's my letter to the editor (and my 1,000th post here!)
I read with interest the report concerning Tracy Roberts, and her use of a firearm to defend herself and her three children from two young adult males who assaulted her in her own home. It is a tenet of the gun-control mantra that guns - especially handguns - are not useful for self-defense. That guns in the home should be kept unloaded and locked up separate from the ammunition. That women especially are less able to use a gun to defend themselves - they are more likely to have the weapon taken from them and used against them. That when surprised by an assailant - and especially more than one assailant - that gun owners have no chance to retrieve or use their defensive firearms. That firearms in the home are far more likely to kill a child than an assailant, and that therefore guns (especially handguns) should be legally denied to the law-abiding except for narrowly defined "sporting purposes". Now, will Handgun Control, the Violence Policy Center, Join Together, Americans for Gun Safety, The Brady Campaign (formerly Million Moms), Ceasefire, the Handgun Epidemic Lowering Plan (HELP), PAX, and all the rest please tell that poor woman that she should have just submitted and allowed those two poor misunderstood boys to do what they wanted? That she didn't need a gun? That the police would protect her? (Well, the police would certainly take a report on the incident, anyway. When they finally found out about it and showed up.) Will these groups tell Ms. Roberts that they'd rather see her beaten and raped and possibly dead, than see her defend herself and her children with a firearm? Because that's the position they take. (BTW, would someone please tell these organizations that only in about 1 in 1,000 defensive gun uses does anyone get shot, much less die. And someone please tell Ms. Roberts that if she's not a member of the National Rifle Association now, I'll pay for her membership.)
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 11:20:38 AM EDT
Score one for the good guys. Great work K.
Top Top