User Panel

Posted: 12/15/2001 4:52:57 AM EDT
http://www.cheaptrick.com/multimedia/ohcandy2.asf
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 5:05:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes, but do you remember The Tubes?
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 5:07:24 AM EDT
[#2]
You act like these bands were one hit wonders that faded away into the fog!

Besides, that can't be. I mean, who could forget "white punks on dope" or "she's tight?"
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 5:10:16 AM EDT
[#3]
As far as CT, you're right, but The Tubes never really enjoyed mainstream success, IMHO.  Besides "Talk to Ya Later", any song ever make it?  Nope, they were definitely a band for those of us who KNOW good tunes.  Plus, Vince went on to play with Jerry and the boys after Brent died, you gotta love that.
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 5:41:29 AM EDT
[#4]
I do.  They sucked.  They ar only remembered as good because the contemporary music scene at the time was even worse.
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 6:21:21 AM EDT
[#5]
I didn't care for Cheap Trick back in the day, but now that I'm older I kinda appreciate thier sense of humor. Thier song "Talk Dirty To Me" cracks me up. I remember the Tubes, they were okay, I do get a bit of a nostalgia rush when I hear them on the radio once in a blue moon. It's fun to see who remembers them, you get a good idea of just how old your getting by the number of people you work with who never heard of them.
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 6:22:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Yep, I remember them... I used to work with Marshall Tucker's road crew, and Cheap Trick's drummer loaned us their cymbals one time in St. Louis when Paul Riddle, MTB's drummer, realized he had left his back in SC.

And being an "old fart" (you guys sure cut that "old fart" poll a bit low a few weeks ago... anybody over 45 was considered and "old fart!" LOL!!!)  Well anyway, being an old fart, I actually remember the Beatles when they were still together!

ARnSC   [8D]
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 6:29:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Not wanting to show my age, but ...[:)]

I used to have the Cheap Trick albums "In Color" and "Live at Budokan" when they first were released. I sold them a long time ago in a garage sale when I no longer had a phonograph system to play records on.

Now the question is, "How many of you remember phonograph players?" [;D]

[b]ArmaLiter[/b]
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 6:58:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Thier song "Talk Dirty To Me" cracks me up.
View Quote

Are you sure you're not thinking of that beloved hair band Poison?

Cheap Trick was a great pop band of their time.
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 7:01:38 AM EDT
[#9]
I believe Cheap Trick does the theme song on the "70's Show".
Does anyone remember the bay area band Earthquake? (Leveled, 8.5, Rockin The World...)

YO ARnSC---You kin to George? I saw MTB 7 or 8 times back in the "olden days".I hope Toy and Tommy are lookin down at us right now jammin their asses off...!
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 7:03:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Cheap Trick ROCKS!
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 7:06:37 AM EDT
[#11]
I saw them at a club in Louisville about 4 years ago.  They put on  a good show for a bunch of old guys.
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 7:12:23 AM EDT
[#12]
I saw Cheap Trick in Columbus OH when I was at OSU in 1991. Other than the 2-3 songs I knew they played the rest of the time I was just sitting there going WTF I am here for these guys suck!

[beer]
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 7:16:19 AM EDT
[#13]
I saw them in the Black Hills back in the winter of '84-'85.   They 'opened' for REO Speedwagon.  Best damn concert I have ever seen to this date.   It was dead even which one put on a better show. Actually throw away  a 'live at Budakon' tape because it got played to much.  Had the album also,  now the CD sitting somewhere just in case the mode hits me.  (got lucky at that concern also)
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 8:44:13 AM EDT
[#14]
I was never much a fan of Cheap Trick. I saw them play in NYC over the summer at the Joey Ramone benefit and they rocked!!Definitely the best band of the night
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 11:01:28 AM EDT
[#15]
When I was in Winnipeg, Canada (I think it was Winnipeg...this was years ago) I stopped in at a bar with a business contact...CT was the band playing.  Kinda cool...they used to be "big" from what I remember about them.

Link Posted: 12/15/2001 12:51:19 PM EDT
[#16]
never saw cheap trick, but the keyboard player was a riot.

now, the tubes? they rocked! remember qua lude?

whaddaya want from life????
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 12:56:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Who could forget "I want you to want me"

ARnSC
Saw Marshall Tucker many many moons ago in the fall of '81.  One of the best concerts I've been to.  Dual drummers if I remember correctly.
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 3:54:38 PM EDT
[#18]
I saw them in 1980 I think headlining a concert at the L.A. Coliseum; others on the bill were Journey, the Babies, Black Sabbath (with Ronnie James Dio), and a couple others.  By that time they had already peaked in their popularity, and much of the crowd left after Journey played.
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 4:35:04 PM EDT
[#19]
how about Stixx? [:D]
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 10:35:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
As far as CT, you're right, but The Tubes never really enjoyed mainstream success, IMHO.  Besides "Talk to Ya Later", any song ever make it?  Nope, they were definitely a band for those of us who KNOW good tunes.  Plus, Vince went on to play with Jerry and the boys after Brent died, you gotta love that.
View Quote

What about "She's a Beauty"?  That seemed to get alot of airtime.  Good band.
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 11:43:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Anybody back in Phoenix remember a local band named " The Factory"
Borg
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top