Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/13/2001 3:07:21 PM EDT
Not too long after the terrorist attacks, people were scrambling to the stores to buy an American flag to fly in front of their homes or on their vehicles.
Approxmiately every other house in my neigborhood had a U.S. flag flying on a daily basis.
Now today, I look around the neighborhood, and with the exception of myself and a few others, there are no homes with an American flag in sight. And most of those who are still flying the flag, like myself, are people who had U.S. flags flying way before the attacks.
 Do people think just because America has brought the Taliban out of power, is closing in on Usama bin Laden and slowly winning this war against terrorism that it is no longer a sense of honor and pride to support the United States of America?

Is this happening in your neighborhoods too?

A few Americans rush to fly a U.S. flag and all of a sudden everyone is flying a flag, a few people take them down and the rest follow.
....Talk about a nation full of sheeple!!

[b]ArmaLiter[/b]
Forever Flying the Colors   [USA]

Link Posted: 12/13/2001 3:07:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Mine's still up.....

The Flag that is......
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 3:10:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Sorry to say it but I hope so..

I am seeing plenty of American Flags......................

AND I LIVE IN CANADA!!!!

Gee there are more stars and stripes up here then Maple leaves!!!
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 3:15:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 3:18:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Not a fad at my house, but then Mine stays up year round.
Sadly, yes, the fad is wearing off amongst the sheeple, who never got the reasoning behind flying it in the first place.
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 3:18:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Of course it was a fad, just like smiley faces and beanie-babies.  Most people don't understand (or want to understand) how our country works or is supposed to work.  They want to be told what to think, what to do, what to wear, what to eat, what to drink, etc.  Thinking for ones self is far too much effort.  And those who do think for themselves are viewed with great suspicion.

You'll find that, while gun owners aren't immune to this mindset, more of us are actually interested in patriotism that the rest of the population.  [Rant mode ]
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 3:19:39 PM EDT
[#6]
All ours are still up on all our vheicles.

We did have to take Grandpap's flag down though, all day in the sun in 100 degree heat back in September was causing it to stretch and fade.  So we acquired multiple copies and fixed them to all the cars.

One of our friends cant take down his flag- he PAINTED it on one of his outbuildings facing US60.
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 3:35:55 PM EDT
[#7]
We fly this flag EVERY DAY since 9-11 and intend to forever.  My 8 year old puts it out and takes it in every day.  One of the few chores he does without being told.

To answer your question....I have seen a decline in the neighborhood and make it a point to note this to the kids.  Us flying the flag is patriotic and the right thing to do.

[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/035/CA/g8/Pr/4g44742.jpg[/img]

As a family we have committed to a few other things since 9-11 and having put things in our lives into perspective.

My wife and I now give blood every other month (twice so far since 9-11).  I was a sporadic donor before.

We have made it to church more in the past 3 months than we did all of last year.

If any "good" can come out of this, I believe many people have reset their priorities.

We have.

[beer]
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 3:51:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Still flying!  I intend to fly it every day for the rest of my life.  I've always been a "flag waver" of sorts.  In a way, I felt vindicated instead of ridiculed for a while there.

I have seen a decline in recent weeks around the 'hood, though...
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 4:00:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Mine's still up. Just about everyone in the neighborhood still has their's up.
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 5:20:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Many have gone down recently. Mine's still up.
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 10:17:48 PM EDT
[#11]
I have had 3 flags on display indoors for the last 6 years.
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 11:09:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Yeah, some of my nieghbors has taken down their flags too.  I guess they're not that committed. I still got my up. I got one of those American flag decals and put them on my gun case next to the NRA's decal.  The Bank of America is giving away free flag decals if you go and ask.
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 12:00:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 2:20:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Kbaker is right!...mines been on proper display(12"X20")since 93.
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 5:37:34 AM EDT
[#15]
I used to just fly mine on holidays (Flag Day, Independance Day, Veterans Day, Memorial Day).  Since 9/11 it's been up continuously.  I even have it lighted so I can fly it at night.  Maybe patriotism has waned a bit, but there are some people who were not patriots at all before 9/11 and they are still flying their flags proudly.  That is progress.
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 6:02:06 AM EDT
[#16]
I have my 8 x 12, foot that is, hanging on my workshop wall. I wish I had a way to fly that one out front.

[marines]
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 6:26:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Yes. It always has been.
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 6:35:43 AM EDT
[#18]
I term it "Mushroom Patriotism".. I've already seen those little clip on car flags laying in the street..
The ones that buy a six dollar "Made in China" flag, then nail it to a curtain rod, and fly it til it's faded seem to pop up at times like this as well..

-Meplat
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top