Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/13/2001 4:03:27 AM EDT
I was notified by a friend this am that she had possibly sent out an infected e-mail containing a virus; instructions were to ssearch all drives for a file named SULFNBK.EXE.  I found this file in the WINDOWS/COMMAND folder on all four of my computers - it has a very weird black icon associated with it.  I saved it to disk and dumped the file.

Now the funny part.  This has been resident on my computers for several months; McAfee has not even peeped over it, and I've had not problems.  If anybody here finds it on their computer and can tell if it is really a virus, please post here.  If anybody cares for me to send them the file (at your risk) for analysis, drop me an e-mail.  Aside from that,  there is the information for everybody else; do with it what you will.

shooter
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 4:36:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Here's a link to Symantac on the subject.
Your friend may have been hoaxed, and your the next unintentional victim.

[url]http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/sulfnbk.exe.warning.html[/url]

Jay
Arizona

Link Posted: 12/13/2001 5:35:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Here's a link to Symantac on the subject.
Your friend may have been hoaxed, and your the next unintentional victim.

[url]http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/sulfnbk.exe.warning.html[/url]

Jay
Arizona

View Quote

Thanks, Jay.  I had a feeling something wasn't right; good thing I saved the file to disk before deleting it, it won't be so hard to restore now.[rolleyes]

Shooter
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 8:54:28 AM EDT
[#3]
hehe...yeah, emails about a virus...I'm still waiting to see one that doesn't turn out to be a hoax.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top