Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/12/2001 10:28:39 PM EDT
I am getting a settlement from a previous employer... after paying off my creditors I should have about $20,000 left... to do with as I please... I'm big on NFA guns and just love guns in general as a serious hobby... What would you do with $20,000.  I'd like to "invest" in something that I can sit on for a couple of years and then turnaound and sell it for a profit.  What are some good "buys" in the wonderful world of NFA or just non-NFA guns.  What would you buy with $20,000?
Robert
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 10:35:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
... What would you do with $20,000.  I'd like to "invest" in something that I can sit on for a couple of years and then turnaound and sell it for a profit.  
View Quote

A down payment on a house. Only thing I can think of that will appreciate in a couple years.
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 10:36:31 PM EDT
[#2]
My list:

1. Any damn rifle you want(Like a Barrett .50BMG).
2. Down payment on a house
3. CDs (The Bank kind)
4. 401K plan

sgtar15
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 10:39:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 11:25:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 11:34:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Solid gold teeth.[8D]
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 11:40:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I see you are in the PRK...I didn't know they allowed NFA items....am I wrong?  

medcop
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 12:19:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Right now December 2001 I am in Cali, Come next month (January 2002) I am permanantly moving myslef and my business (corporation) to Las Vegas, NV.  Yeah Cali sux :(    
(trust me its just the nice weather ... that's it)
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 12:23:11 AM EDT
[#8]
yeah a down on house is practical and sensible... maybe 10k down and maybe I'll find some reg. HK and DIAS sears and sit on 'em. Can't go wrong there.
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 12:34:11 AM EDT
[#9]
NFA for Class III dealers or Class II manufacturers ONLY... NO individual transfers.  Too Bad.  :(
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 1:28:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Canada.
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 1:33:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 4:54:09 AM EDT
[#12]
I am getting a Vector Uzi.  Care to join me?  

Other obvious Class 3 stuff to look at would be an M16 (the lower is the spendy thing, and you could get multiple uppers) and a MAC, which is the cheapest, although not the best, way to get into NFA stuff.  As for value, unless the 1986 gun law goes out the window, and don't hold your breath, all full auto is going to just go up in value.

Then of course there are suppressors . . .

Tell ya what, just send me the $20K and I will be glad to be of assistance.
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 6:40:49 AM EDT
[#13]
1972 Corvette Convertible with LT-1 engine and factory A/C.  Only 240 made and priced at about 20k.
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 6:44:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
... What would you do with $20,000.  I'd like to "invest" in something that I can sit on for a couple of years and then turnaound and sell it for a profit.  
View Quote

A down payment on a house. Only thing I can think of that will appreciate in a couple years.
View Quote

This guy is NUTS,evenbody can tell you that more guns will make you happy!

Anyway thats a good idea,buy a house,if you have one buy one to rent out or may just some land.

If you buy a house and rent it out to people you could make more that 20K over time.
Just think of the guns you can buy with that[;)]
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 6:50:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Learn how to trade covered calls in the stock market, make 10% a month and use that money to buy your toys.  That way instead of running out of funds in a month you will have a continous stream of income.  Then get a class 2 or class 3 license for your corporation so you can buy or make whatever you want.  M-16 around $700 AKs around $500.

Money is made by how much you are given.  It's made by how you manage it.
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 6:52:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Down payment on a house is never a bad idea.  Although...if you absolutely had to have a NFA weapon, I'd go big and get something like a MG-42 or M-60
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 6:53:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Learn how to trade covered calls in the stock market, make 10% a month and use that money to buy your toys.  That way instead of running out of funds in a month you will have a continous stream of income.  
View Quote

Got more info?

Link Posted: 12/13/2001 7:05:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Learn how to trade covered calls in the stock market, make 10% a month and use that money to buy your toys.  That way instead of running out of funds in a month you will have a continous stream of income.  
View Quote

Got more info?

View Quote

Here is a site to get more information.  I belive they currently have a free trial of their services.  [url]http://www.thegumpinvestor.com[/url]

I'm new to this myself.  Basically a covered call, is a contract to sell a stock that you own at a predetermined price.  For offering to sell your stock at that price you are paid x amount by the person who wants to buy it.  If the stock price doesn't increase to the determined amount the person won't buy your stock, you get to keep x amount, and then offer to sell your stock again the following month.  If the stock price does increase, then you will get x amount, plus you are still selling your stock at a gain.

I'm getting involved in it because my brother runs are large portion of that company.  The services they offer examine the various stocks and let you know if they are a possible good investment or not.  

The two forms of risk are a limited gain, if the stock sky rockets you still have to sell at the predetermined price which is still a gain just a limited one, and the normal loss if a stock goes down in value.  The plus side is you get paid every month that you offer to sell your stock.
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 7:55:46 AM EDT
[#19]
If you're looking to invest in NFA weapons, go with something more rare and unusual.   An MG42 would be a good bet - they're going right around the $20k mark.  A Maremont M60 will do you well also, but may be a bit over $20k.  If you can find a transferable RPD, for $20-25k, grab it - they're rare as hens teeth and a seller can name his number.  I'd stay away from MG34's unless you've seen it run.  Too many are rewelds and simply don't run for shit.  If you can find an all original or good running reweld '34, you'll be quite happy.  Other good rare transferables you might want to consider are a Beretta 93R (about $15k), PPSH41 (about $6k), a M3/M3A1 greasegun ($8k+), a good Savage or Colt Thompson will always have interest with collectors, and finally, AK47's are few enough that they always seem to be doing well.  Some of the more common stuff - M16's, HK's, Uzis, etc. are just too common to increase in value that much.  With that kind of stuff, there's always someone who will be able to undercut you on the price by a couple hundred.  Prices have been pretty stagnant for well over a year and I think we're seeing the end of the 10% annual increase in value on NFA stuff for a while...at the very least until the economy does a 180 and gains some momentum.

If you want to invest, I'd recommend you stay clear of the SOT route.  The license will run you $500/year to have those post86 guns, and as soon as you let that license expire, you have to get rid of the guns.  And with all the post86 guns out there, and the difficulty of getting a PD love letter to transfer them to another SOT these days, it will probably be at a good loss; you may even have to cut them and sell them for parts.  You will have nice shooters for a while, but in the end you won't have much to show for your $20k if you need to get out and get cash quick.

Link Posted: 12/13/2001 8:14:27 AM EDT
[#20]
OPTIONS-

1. Take the 20k and buy a couple of NFA guns and hope laws, supply and demand, ammo supplies, etc. do not ruin your investment potential.

2. Take the 20k and use it for $3,000 down payments on 4 houses priced around $100,000 each. Use the extra $8,000 for short-term investments (cd's, quick turn gun or two) and to cover the payments when your properties are vacant. With rates at 7.5% or so for FHA, your payments would be about $811 per month (incl. taxes and insurance), rent them for $1200 per month. Let the rent come in for a year or two and then refinance to get the original investment back. After two or so years you have the original 20k and 4 houses to sell or continue to rent.

I do this for a living and can get most anyone approved to do the same. Use the 20k as seed money to start making real money. Once your at acertain point in 12 to 15 years, you can retire and live completely off of the rental income or just keep padding your normal income.

Give me an e-mail and I'll run the numbers for you.

This is not a solicitation for business, he asked "what should I do with 20k" and I'm answering what I would do.
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 8:32:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Diversify.  Spend some on weapons, some on real estate.  Save some.
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 9:23:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Purchase a full auto item. [:D] Possibly even a belt fed item! [:D][:D][:D]
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 10:38:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Got more info?

View Quote

Here is a site to get more information.  I belive they currently have a free trial of their services.  [url]http://www.thegumpinvestor.com[/url]

I'm new to this myself.  Basically a covered call, is a contract to sell a stock that you own at a predetermined price.  For offering to sell your stock at that price you are paid x amount by the person who wants to buy it.  If the stock price doesn't increase to the determined amount the person won't buy your stock, you get to keep x amount, and then offer to sell your stock again the following month.  If the stock price does increase, then you will get x amount, plus you are still selling your stock at a gain.

I'm getting involved in it because my brother runs are large portion of that company.  The services they offer examine the various stocks and let you know if they are a possible good investment or not.  

The two forms of risk are a limited gain, if the stock sky rockets you still have to sell at the predetermined price which is still a gain just a limited one, and the normal loss if a stock goes down in value.  The plus side is you get paid every month that you offer to sell your stock.
View Quote

This is a put option contract.
This is also know as speculation pure and simple.
Nothing wrong with it as long as you understand the risk v. reward.
If it was me, I would forego the FA stuff-think of just the ammo cost over the life of ownership. Ouch.
If it was me I would invest in the stock market. Share prices are down when compared to share value, so you will be in a good position when the economy gets moving again.
If you go the route of real estate, be careful.
Alot of markets are over-valued right now. Gains could be flatter than you anticipate when you cash out.
Why not invest it in a business that you want to get into? There is the real potential for making a long term income on that. Just my $0.02!
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 3:23:57 PM EDT
[#24]
What is the average return on an NFA investment... I was told 10% a year doesn't hold water.  I know it's all based on demand and availability but waht is the "average" if there is one?
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 3:43:59 PM EDT
[#25]
And what happens to value when you just *have* to shoot it?  Ammo cost consideration is another negative, unless you just want to buy $20k worth of fun times!
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 4:36:21 PM EDT
[#26]
If you don't want to buy a house/real estate, this is what I would do:

SWD 11/9mm's that Keith at GCA is advertising--about $3000 for 3 of them ($600 in NFA Taxes)--$3600

Vector UZI--$3000 (+ $200 tax)

M-16 Registered Receiver gun--I know of a dealer that has (had) stripped RR's for $3800-4200.  $4200 including Tax.

HK Autosear $4500 + 200 tax = $4700

HK SP-89 $3000 and HK 91 $2000 to put the sear in.  

That is the $20,000

You could then sell the guns piecemeal to recoup your investment.  If you bought a $20,000 NFA gun, and had to sell it, you would be stuck with your profits to that date, vs. selling only what you had to.  

As to price increases:

About a year ago, MAC's were $900 (advertised price), now they are $1100.

M-16's were $5000 for a Colt RR factory gun, now they are $6500.

The prices do fluctuate, depending on how the economy does, and other factors--when a popular movie comes out with a featured type of gun (M-16 in Vietnam movies, BARs and Thompsons in Saving Private Ryan), the price for them goes up.  10% per year is probably low, but it could be less if the economy is good at the beginning of the year, and bad at the end.  

The two major Downfalls to NFA items as investments is the $200 tax that you have to pay to get the gun, and the $200 to transfer it back to a dealer when you sell it, and the possibility of having future sales blocked by law--which means your investment is not worth much.  Or, they could repeal the '86 ban and allow new production for civilian sale--then your M-16 would be worth $800 and the Vector UZI worth $500.  Neither scenario is likely at this point, but they are possibilities.

If you have the money to spend, NFA items are worth it in the fun they provide, as well as the potential to make money later.  

The only thing I would change above, is to get a .50 caliber rifle instead of the HK 91 if you want to go that route.

AFARR
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 4:41:37 PM EDT
[#27]
I don't know your age but I would say buying a home and some sound investments are in order.

I've blown enough cash to know!

Good luck!
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 4:46:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
What is the average return on an NFA investment... I was told 10% a year doesn't hold water.  I know it's all based on demand and availability but waht is the "average" if there is one?
View Quote

I think this depends completely on how the stock market and overall economy is doing. When the economy does good then NFA prices rise. Since the market has gone bad earlier this year/late last year NFA prices have stabilized or dropped slightly. In short, there is no real answer to this question. It's kind of along the lines of, "How much will my stamp collection appreciate in a year?". It's just something that nobody knows for sure....
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 4:50:20 PM EDT
[#29]
ponyboy....will you please.....shut the f**k up.........[stick]
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 5:13:19 PM EDT
[#30]
I would share it with all my AR15.com buddies [:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top