Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/10/2001 9:25:10 PM EDT
Hopefully someone here can help since I am at a complete loss....I am currently studing computers at school and [i]still[/i] don't know what the heck is going on with mine right now!![>:/][>:/]

Anyway, this is what is going on.

I deleted all currant partitions on my existing harddrive (30gigs).  I used Delpart to delete the NTFS partitions and then created 3 equal 10gig partitions using FDisk.

I then installed Window 2000 Pro onto the first partition.  The main installion files get installed onto the hard drive but when the computer restarts the hard drive is not recognized.  In BIOS the boot sequence is as follows: 1) Floppy 2) HDD-0 3)CD. WWhat happens is that during the power on self test everything gets recognized but stalls at the message [b]"Verifying DMI Pool Data"[/b].

If I put a floppy in and reboot it will go past this and boot to the floppy.  If I change boot sequence where the CD is read second it will also boot from the CD.  But I can never get past this message when I am trying to boot to the HDD!!

If I go into DOS I can read the "C" drive and the setup fills (from Win2000) are listed on the partition. I have removed the CMOS battery and reinstalled it.  I also replaced the HDD cable.  This is a system I built myself only 6 months ago with a FIC mother board and an AMD CPU.

Any ideas????  Cuase I am completely baffled??[>:/][>:/][>:/][>:/][>:/][>:/][>:/][>:/][>:/][>:/][>:/]

Thanks

Sgtar15

PS. [b] As a follow up question.....what would be the best round to shoot this M&%^$@ F&*%^&%$ thing with?[/b]
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 9:31:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you reformated the partitions as fat32 after creating them with fdisk.

If the partitions are not formated the computer will not be able use them properly.
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 9:35:08 PM EDT
[#2]
stalls at the message "Verifying DMI Pool Data".
View Quote

I've seen about 20 machines w/ Abit motherboards and close to 40 Dell's that do that.  Dell tech support blamed it on Intel's buggy DMI standard, and their workaround was to hit reset after it locked-up.  The second time through, it usually would continue booting.z

Link Posted: 12/10/2001 9:35:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm certainly no expert, but I think you should format the drive and don't forget to also use whatever the switch is (/mbr ?) to overwrite the master boot record.

Don't worry about creating partitions yet, if it works you can always go back and do it again or you can buy partition magic and make it easy.

If you find out what the problem is let us know.

Link Posted: 12/10/2001 9:41:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Run fdisk and have it display partition data.

Make sure that you have c: as primary and set to active. If that wont work run the command "fdisk /MBR" without the quotes. If that didn’t work, post your fdisk output back here and I will walk you through writing zeros to the drive.

Also – Set "Plug and play BIOS" or "Plug and Play OS" set to OFF in bios.
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 9:56:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Karma,

I will try that and then post the reply.  Are you going to bearound for a while?

sgtar15
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 10:00:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Here’s a cool free utility:
It’s called Gwscan. It will test the read and write performance of your HDD for each cylinder. IF you have bad sectors (or other problems) it can sometimes repair them.

It’s also good for wiping out corrupted partition data – IE a “non dos partition” in fdisk that you cant delete. It will also kill most boot sector viri and get rid of EXT2 (Linux) HPFS(OS2/Linux swap) partitions.

[url]ftp://ftp.gateway.com/pub/hardware_support/drivers/win3.x_and_dos/mass_storage/hard_drives/7510801.exe[/url]

and yes I'm working for the evening so I'm awake.
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 10:00:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Instant Karma & others,

[b]It worked!!!!!![/b]

I ran FDisk /mbr and it now works...thank you very much[:)][:)][:)]!!!  Trouble shooting...gotta love it!

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 10:06:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Instant Karma & others,

[b]It worked!!!!!![/b]

I ran FDisk /mbr and it now works...thank you very much[:)][:)][:)]!!!  Trouble shooting...gotta love it!

Sgtar15
View Quote

COOL!
Glad to be able to help [:)]
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 6:52:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
PS. [b] As a follow up question.....what would be the best round to shoot this M&%^$@ F&*%^&%$ thing with?[/b]
View Quote

Nobody answered this so I will -

Step 1. - Take to a safe area, toss it in the air and hear loud crunch. [:)]

Step 2. - Blast repeatedly with rounds of #4 Buckshot & 00 Buckshot. [:D]

Step 3. - Pour lighter fluid all over it and light a match. [}:D]
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 8:02:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Nobody answered this so I will -

Step 1. - Take to a safe area, toss it in the air and hear loud crunch. [:)]

Step 2. - Blast repeatedly with rounds of #4 Buckshot & 00 Buckshot. [:D]

Step 3. - Pour lighter fluid all over it and light a match. [}:D]
View Quote

Kevin,
I beg to differ.  After you pour lighter fluid (or, better yet, gasoline) all over it in step 3, stand about 30 yards off and start shooting it with 5.56 tracers until it catches fire.  This is the approved method. [:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top