Cool story dude.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 1:58:53 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
THE FAR SIDE IS 100% BETTER

Link Posted: 10/13/2008 2:01:23 PM EDT
[#4]
From the 2005 interview:

Q: What led you to resist merchandising Calvin and Hobbes?

A: For starters, I clearly miscalculated how popular it would be to show Calvin urinating on a Ford logo.

Link Posted: 10/13/2008 2:01:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I will always have a soft spot for C&H, I doubt I will ever find a replacement that will hold up to Wattersons standards.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 2:02:28 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I will always have a soft spot for C&H, I doubt I will ever find a replacement that will hold up to Wattersons standards.

I love your Tracert Bullet Avatar.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 2:14:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Sad day when they stopped coming, one of my favorites. Only comic that still runs that I read daily.

Dilbert.

I want my childhood back.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 2:32:07 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Sad day when they stopped coming, one of my favorites. Only comic that still runs that I read daily.

Dilbert.

I also liked FoxTrot but C&H has been my fav for many many years.

While I didn't have a "tiger" I probably drove my parents nuts hauling home every walking, crawling or slithering critter I could catch as a kid.

My two favs still are the time I was at camp and Dad foolishly decided to open the top of my snake container to see what I had in there. The Cotton mouth that lunged at him resulted in a "no snakes" policy for quite some time. [lived in FLa at the time.] The opther was when I caught a HUGE painted turtle and having nothing big enough to put it in, I stuck it in the pool. Dad had quite the surprise when, after taking his morning run, he decided to take a swim while it was still dark............While he didn't know WHAT it was, he dang sure knew who PUT it there. Being awakened by the bellowing roar of dear old Dad as he leapt from the pool post haste woke the entire neighborhood up I do believe..................

And I had to get rid of the turtle.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 2:40:39 PM EDT
[#9]
I wrote a letter to Mr. Watterson when I found out that he was going to stop writing C&H (I think I was 13) imploring him to please keep writing it.  I still have the form letter I got as a response (that's what I get for writing c/o the syndicate), as well as the last comic he did cut out from the Sunday paper.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 2:42:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I've never read any of the comic strips, prior to this thread.

Don't really find it funny, probably because I didn't grow up reading it.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 2:48:54 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Funny does not a comic strip make.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 2:49:46 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Dilbert.

Yeah, Dilbert is the only comic currently being run that's worth a crap.  Everything else is old comics that are being reprinted.

C&H was my second favorite, behind, of course, the Peanuts.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 3:11:15 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
My son has this shirt.

You do know that it was shit like that shirt that was the reason he quit in the first place. All of the unauthorized graphics of Calvin pissing on a Ford , Chevy Chrysler logo.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 5:08:29 PM EDT
[#14]
height=8
Quoted:

I think if you read more than just one strip at a time it will help out.  Very few of them were written to be a stand alone comic.  Most hinged on the one before it and the one after it.  Calvin reminds me a lot of how I thought as a child and also a lot of how my child now thinks and acts.  Hobbes is the voice of reason, but his voice usually fell on deaf ears.

If you have $10 or so to spare, drop into a book store and pick one up.  If you can get the first book of comics it might help with anything that comes later.  If I am not wrong it is simply named "Calvin and Hobbes."  I used to have it, but my older brother took all of the originals when he moved out.  He did make it up to me recently though by buying the collectors set.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 5:09:33 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think if you read more than just one strip at a time it will help out.  Very few of them were written to be a stand alone comic.  Most hinged on the one before it and the one after it.  Calvin reminds me a lot of how I thought as a child and also a lot of how my child now thinks and acts.  Hobbes is the voice of reason, but his voice usually fell on deaf ears.

If you have $10 or so to spare, drop into a book store and pick one up.  If you can get the first book of comics it might help with anything that comes later.  If I am not wrong it is simply named "Calvin and Hobbes."  I used to have it, but my older brother took all of the originals when he moved out.  He did make it up to me recently though by buying the collectors set.

I'll check it out, but is it humor that adults can enjoy? Or more of a kid thing...?
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 5:12:08 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll check it out, but is it humor that adults can enjoy? Or more of a kid thing...?

more importantly.. what is your age group and where were you raised?  
It's more something a lot of us grew up to and could relate to.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 5:14:22 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's one of those rare things that is crafted with two levels of humor to it.

Kids laughed at Calvin and Hobbes for one reason, adults laughed at it for another.

It's even better when you grew up reading it as a kid, then when you go back to read it as an adult everything is seen in a new light.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 5:17:26 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's one of those rare things that is crafted with two levels of humor to it.

Kids laughed at Calvin and Hobbes for one reason, adults laughed at it for another.

It's even better when you grew up reading it as a kid, then when you go back to read it as an adult everything is seen in a new light.

This. I'm 4^$&#^**$ ahem, and still enjoy it far more then I should.

In truth, this was more an adult comic rather then a kids strip but it was enjoyable at both age levels.

Link Posted: 10/13/2008 5:20:52 PM EDT
[#19]
I like playing under C&H rules:  Make shit up as you go...
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 5:24:02 PM EDT
[#20]

miss that little guy
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 5:29:55 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

No, it's not.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 5:36:11 PM EDT
[#22]
As a young soldier in Germany the highlight of my day was reading Calvin and Hobbes in the Stars and Stripes newspaper.

My all time favorite was when he sold his soul to the devil to make a headshot with a snowball on his little girl friend.

The cartoonist was quite simply amazing. I am glad to see I am not the only one who formed an emotional bond with Spaceman Spiff and his faithful tiger.

It was indeed a sad day when the last strip ran.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 5:39:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 5:40:01 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
www.geocities.com/EnchantedForest/Glade/3868/Last.gif

miss that little guy

This was the most heart-breaking day of my life that didn't involve a phone call that went " ________ just died".
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 5:40:27 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

FAIL!!!
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 5:42:30 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

FAIL!!!

Don't feed the
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 5:44:29 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

FAIL!!!

Yep, the far side was funny, C&H could make you THINK while being funny.

Link Posted: 10/13/2008 5:46:56 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Did the author do any lithographs or anything?

I would love to get a nice framed one for the office.

No, Watterson Didn't do -any- merchandising or licensing other than his books.

Yep.  You have to admire a guy who values artistic integrity more than loads and loads of cash.  There aren't very many people like that around.

I read somewhere that Watterson used to go to bookstores and pull out random C&H books, and sign a random page, or draw a picture.

They ended up on eBay and he never did that again.

Aww, man! I have a signed book (not C&H), I would never ebay it. I would love to have one of his random drawing books. That would be awesome! I really like Calvin and Hobbes and my husband loves it. My boys will read the ones I have picked up at Goodwill. They think it is hilarious. I would love to have the entire set on hardcover.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 5:48:32 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

more importantly.. what is your age group and where were you raised?  
It's more something a lot of us grew up to and could relate to.  

23, raised in CA.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 5:49:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Awesome series.

Bloom County was great also
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 5:55:42 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Awesome series.

Bloom County was great also

yes indeed!  and now Opus seems to be heading that way again.....
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 5:57:04 PM EDT
[#32]
I remember reading Calvin and Hobbes growing up.  I do break out the old soft-cover books and read them every so often.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 5:57:05 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

FAIL!!!

Don't feed the

You agree far side is 100% better than calvin and hobbes???
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 5:58:21 PM EDT
[#34]
In addition to the snowmen and Spaceman Spiff, this has to be one of my favorite Calvin & Hobbes strips.

Kind of reflects on the attitude of certain lawmakers.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 6:02:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Calvinball was the BEST. Hobbes had game! I fondly remember the "Pernicious Poem Place"

Supreme dictator for life of the Get Rid Of Slimy girlS (G.R.O.S.S.) club Calvin FTW!

ETA: And Rosalynn! How could you not like Revenge of the Babysat?
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 6:02:45 PM EDT
[#36]
This is one of my favorites.

Link Posted: 10/13/2008 6:05:08 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
This is one of my favorites.

progressiveboink.com/jon/images/calvinhobbes/jon6.GIF

yep that is a good one as well.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 6:07:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Snowman compilation:

link

Here's the final strip:

Link Posted: 10/13/2008 6:12:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 6:12:19 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Here's the final strip:

i120.photobucket.com/albums/o164/emstc/calvin_hobbs.gif

Makes me smile, yet sad at the same time.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 6:13:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Reading C&H got me through some *really* tough times and I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for it.

Really magical stuff.  Thanks, Sam!
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 6:17:02 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:
www.geocities.com/EnchantedForest/Glade/3868/Last.gif

miss that little guy

This was the most heart-breaking day of my life that didn't involve a phone call that went " ________ just died".

Really. I refused to look at it until the very last thing. I thought I was going to bawl right out loud in front of everybody. And I was well past my late 20's.

I kept that last strip. Still have it carefully tucked away in one of my C&H books. Can't really look at it much, get's me to this day.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 6:17:52 PM EDT
[#43]
BushMeister thanks for running that last strip, an outstanding way to go out.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 6:22:23 PM EDT
[#44]

Link Posted: 10/13/2008 6:26:19 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I really enjoyed his work, and probably had all of his books.

Lost them in the Divorce of 2000.

I had no idea there was a boxed set out - looks like that's going on my Christmas wish list.

EDIT:

Didn't know the boxed set was hard cover.

Nice for some, not for me.

Guess I'll just re-buy the soft covers.

I dunno if they'll have it again this year but Costco had a GREAT price on the box set last Christmas time... If you have a membership or know someone who does, get it there...

It is $94.50 at Amazon with no shipping charges.

We bought it for my mother in law for Christmas a couple years ago.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 6:29:07 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

I love the Far Side also but I would trash someones thread by saying the above quote.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 6:29:34 PM EDT
[#47]
This thread made me smile.

Link Posted: 10/13/2008 8:42:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Loved Calvin & Hobbes, Bloom County. Have all the books. Current favorites Pearls Before Swine, Get Fuzzy.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 8:48:50 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

FAIL!!!

Don't feed the

You agree far side is 100% better than calvin and hobbes???

you FAIL to understand how the interwebs work...

troll posted in a C&H thread that something was better.

I told jcarrel to not feed the troll
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 9:00:14 PM EDT
[#50]
The snowmen ones were always great, but I have to say his creative test answers were my favorite.

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top