Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/10/2001 7:08:56 AM EDT
The Second Amendment The Truth About the Second Amendment "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed." The Second Amendment is perhaps the most misunderstood of all provisions of the U.S. Constitution. Opponents of reasonable gun laws repeatedly argue that gun safety regulations run afoul of Second Amendment rights. In truth, however, no gun law in this country has been overturned on the basis of the Second Amendment. Rather, the U.S. Supreme Court and an overwhelming majority of federal appellate courts in this country have held that the Second Amendment protects only a right to keep and bear arms in furtherance of a well-regulated militia. Click here for cases discussing the Second Amendment. The public's common misunderstanding of the Second Amendment has been engendered, in large part, by a campaign of misinformation supported by those opposed to common sense gun laws. As former Chief Justice Warren Burger said, "[The Second Amendment] has been the subject of one of the greatest pieces of fraud, repeat the word 'fraud,' on the American public by special interest groups that I have ever seen in my lifetime." Click here to read articles on the Second Amendment written by LAP attorneys. The Legal Action Project of the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence has dedicated itself to dispelling the myth – this "fraud" – surrounding the Second Amendment. Through on-going articles on the issue, public education campaigns, and support as amicus curiae, or "friends of the court," in cases where the true meaning of the Second Amendment is challenged, LAP seeks to educate the public on the true meaning of the Second Amendment. Click here to read the Brady Center's challenge to Attorney General Ashcroft's ethics violation undercutting the U.S. position in Second Amendment cases. Click here to review briefs filed in United States v. Emerson in support of the true meaning of the Second Amendment. Click here to read transcripts from the Second Amendment Symposium hosted by LAP and featuring renowned historians and experts on the Second Amendment. =========================================== i pulled this right off the site. they called the nra's views extremeist. they'll learn... maybe. *shakes head disapprovingly* OffRoad
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 7:26:08 AM EDT
OffRoad, Thanks for posting that article which couldn't be more opposite end of the spectrum than my own views. It's a sad day for our nation when a federal judge can't even understand the simple, basic, and literal meaning of amendments to our Constitution. I hope you are right and maybe they will learn one day. BBURN
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 7:29:57 AM EDT
The attack 9/11 on WTC/Pentagon will hurt their position because at first the news media at least here in Calif. tried to play the sales of guns, but in reality even in Calif. there was a lot of guns sold, and so therefore there are a lot of people who don't believe this BS from CPHV, Brady etc.
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 9:15:52 AM EDT
I guess they can't read. Don't [i]interpret[/i] the Constitution, [b]read[/b] it. It means what it says. Nothing more, nthing less. And certainly nothing different.
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 9:45:13 AM EDT
Well said, Norm, well said! BBURN
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 10:21:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/10/2001 10:13:56 AM EDT by ARlady]
except i'm pretty sure that there HAS been at least one case in which a law infringing on gun ownership was struck down as a violation of the Second Amendment. i can't remember the details, or even the state (it was a state law), though i think it was Georgia or Alabama, somewhere in the "deep south". of course, this was before the 20th century when people actually read the Constitution for what it was rather than what they wanted it to be.
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 10:25:59 AM EDT
I was at a toy store not too long ago to buy a kids place mat (for the dinner table). They have a number of them: ABCs, States of the Union, Ballet steps, World Geography, etc. Well, they also have one on the Constitution of the United States. Guess what the second amendment said on this place mat? "The right to raise an army". UNBELIEVABLE
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 11:00:21 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Mickeymike: I was at a toy store not too long ago to buy a kids place mat (for the dinner table). They have a number of them: ABCs, States of the Union, Ballet steps, World Geography, etc. Well, they also have one on the Constitution of the United States. Guess what the second amendment said on this place mat? "The right to raise an army". UNBELIEVABLE
View Quote
We have the right to raise an army??? SWEET!! Who else is in with me? All the tanks, rpg's and heavy arms we can afford! Whooohooo
Top Top