You will NOT be able to:

Own a Firearm
Carry a Firearm
Borrow a Firearm
Purchase Ammunition
Obtain an Authorization to Transport

Unless you have a Firearms Possession Licence or still have a valid FAC. [/b]

Please Note:

The law is written so that it says you must be in possession of a firearms licence by no later than January 1, 2001. This means that you cannot wait until the last day to apply, as no agency could issue a licence in one day, especially with the mandatory 28 day waiting period before you can get it. We recommend that you apply no later than August 31, 2000. Send your application via registered mail so that you have proof that you complied, and that you allowed ample time for the government to complete your application. This may be important to you next year, as there is very little likelihood that the government will be able to complete the amount of applications they will receive this year.

You will need to acquire a Possession Only Licence if you own firearms and do not intend to acquire any more.

You will need to acquire a Possession and Acquisition Licence if you intend to acquire firearms other than the ones you already own. You must have passed the Firearms Safety Test to get an Acquisition Licence.

Firearm Licence Applications are available at your local post office, or by calling 1-800-731-4000.

[url]http://www.shooterschoice.com/notice_to_all_firearms_owners.htm[/url]

Thank God I'm an American!
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 5:06:33 AM EDT
[#1]
The 28 day 'waiting period' is a fiction.  Due to understaffing, poor training and the least effective bureaucracy I've yet seen, the average processing time for a possession & acquisition license up here is well over six months.  Mine took more than 11 months.
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 6:01:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 6:46:19 AM EDT
[#3]
they have to catch you first...
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 6:51:56 AM EDT
[#4]
The Fed govt has spent $600 million with no end in sight.  That is a not a small amount of money.
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 6:55:23 AM EDT
[#5]
are you kidding, that is nothing, it's the governments job to waste money. that's all they do. i know we should be getting really mad about this but we don't. i guess it's part of being canadian. if rick mercer was still on "this hour has 22 mintues" (tv show) he'd have a really funny rant about that.
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 7:12:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I shoot occasionally with a friend that works in the maritime CFC office. He told me they have a building up there that is approx 60' X 100' full of POL,PAL & registration applications.
View Quote

And wouldn't it be nice if a bolt from the blue came down and set the whole building alight? All that paper burning...sure would keep a lot of Ottawa's homeless warm this time of year :^)
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 7:28:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 7:57:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Hell, we've had those exact same restrictions in Illinois for as long as I can remember.

Here, it's a clear cut FELONY case to go against the grain!
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 8:03:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 8:16:26 AM EDT
[#10]
    "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they
    are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these
    are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights,
    Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the
    consent of the governed, --[red]That whenever any Form of Government becomes
    destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and
    to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing
    its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety
    and Happiness.[/red]"

OOPS! i forgot, your (pffff) ... country ... doesn't have this as its birth-right! [}:D]

Canadians = Brits with better beer.
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 8:22:03 AM EDT
[#11]
i was home in michigan last month when a radio commercial cought my attention, it said all firearms owners must regester all their firearms buy jan 1. i almost flipped out untill the radio played its callsighn right after, it was a canadian station, i thought poor bastards.
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 8:28:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Doesn't seem like yours is really trying to uphold your birth rights either.

Ai
View Quote

ouch! ... [;)]

yeah, it seems more like regional thing here, [blue]EH[/blue]?
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 8:34:40 AM EDT
[#13]
anyone seen Canadian Bacon? in a few more years we really could take over canada. wouldnt be much of a war though.  : )
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 8:39:51 AM EDT
[#14]
We, in the U.S. shouldn't make fun of the poor Canadians, this $hit is could hit the U.S. a little later. It will take them awhile, but if you think about it, how long did it take to get Brady and the U.S. AW ban in place? And how long did it take to lower the mininum BBL lenght from 20" to 16"(inches). Ans: 10 years. The anti-gunners don't give $hit whether it is constitutional or not, their objective is just to ban guns and they will keep it up for as long as it takes.

[img]http://www.hkweaponsystems.com/images/quotes/mao.gif[/img]
"Every good Communist should know that political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. The Communist party must control the guns"
-Mao Tse Tung
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 8:46:00 AM EDT
[#15]
All I can hope is here in America where we have laws protecting our RIGHTS, if the federal gov. were to break them,like gun registration, I'd hope "actions" would be taken to correct the problem.
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 8:57:29 AM EDT
[#16]
"... But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably
    the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is
    their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new
    Guards for their future security.-"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top