Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/9/2001 12:15:28 PM EDT
Can someone clarify what the legal deal is on civillian ownership of the Raufoss round? Seller on Gunbroker is playing it like it's ordinary ammo?  I was under the impression that there were pretty tight restrictions on the Raufoss cartridge.

[url]http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=2603916[/url]
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 12:22:51 PM EDT
[#1]
What is it? What makes it any different than a normal .50BMG AP/Incendiary ammo?
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 12:27:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
What is it? What makes it any different than a normal .50BMG AP/Incendiary ammo?
View Quote

The Raufus round is a
Norwegian developed round that has been licensed to Olin to be
manufactured in this country.  It is an armor piercing,incenderary,high
explosive round with a high explosive charge of RDX.  People pop up now and again trying to sell them.  I had always heard they weren't legal...
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 12:31:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Guess that's what the blue tip means, huh? I bet that would be some fun stuff to shoot at old cars. Thanks for the info....
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 12:36:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Guess that's what the blue tip means, huh? I bet that would be some fun stuff to shoot at old cars. Thanks for the info....
View Quote

Blue Tip is regulay incediery.  Raufoss is supposed to be a lot more scary.  I don't plan on ever trying to pass one through my rifle.  But I would like to know once and for all if civies can own the damn thing...
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 12:37:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I think the Raufoss is legal to own in many states.  The blurry part is that almost none if it is available to civilians - most is stolen from Uncle Sam (I admit, I could be mixing up SLAP and Raufoss)?  Possession of the stolen ones is a big deal.  It's rarity, possible possession of stolen property charges and local bans on AP/I keep most people from getting it.  

You might want to post this question on 50world (if you haven't already) or biggerhammer.  Below is a link of a board regular at biggerhammer selling some Raufoss for $35 each: [url]http://www.biggerhammer.net/barrett/wwwboard/index.cgi?read=54372[/url].  I've been considering buying some myself.  His post suggests that this is not for sale to CA NJ or anywhere that AP / Incendiary is banned.

Hope it helps...  

Black Fox
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 12:38:35 PM EDT
[#6]
It contains Comp A4, HE.  Probably something the ATF controls.
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 12:39:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Blue Tip is regulay incediery.  Raufoss is supposed to be a lot more scary.  I don't plan on ever trying to pass one through my rifle.  But I would like to know once and for all if civies can own the damn thing...
View Quote

Sorry....I meant green tip.
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 12:41:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Don’t know about the legality *cough* (I saw a guy selling a drop in and a pre-ban colt as a package with no stamp on GB yesterday)

BUT I don’t think that round is actually MP-NM140 ‘Raufoss’

[img]http://www.biggerhammer.net/barrett/raufoss/elementer/127mm_linket.jpg[/img]
this is raufoss
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 12:42:52 PM EDT
[#9]
The ammunition reference at biggerhammer may be helpful, Ponyboy: [url]http://www.biggerhammer.net/barrett/fas/[/url]
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 12:43:38 PM EDT
[#10]
BTW anything with more than 3gr. of "explosive compound" is HE. Any HE round is a DD and subject to tax.
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 1:05:13 PM EDT
[#11]
The MK 211 MOD 0 "Raufoss" round contains 13g of HE.
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 1:23:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Iam with BlackFox on this one I thought it was U.S. Armed Forces only. So would be stolen property.
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 1:34:15 PM EDT
[#13]
725 grains of FREEDOM at 3000 feet per second.
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 2:16:29 PM EDT
[#14]
I thought the Raufoss was a Green/White tip?

Anyhow, the consensus on the Biggerhammer board was that it is not illegal to own (the explosive charge is too small to qualify for ATF regs), but that the rounds themselves are probably stolen USGI stuff, as there are no civilian sales, and certainly no surplus on the stuff.

$35 is actually pretty low for the Raufoss round--generally, they go for much more.  

One thing to point out--there are people out there who will paint ball ammo with the Red or White and Green tip and sell it as Raufoss.  If you are in the market for the rounds, you should probably familarize yourself with the correct head stamp, and if you possibly can, X-ray the bullet to make sure it has the proper construction.

Edited to add--if Famous Spuds is selling the stuff, I would have no doubt as to it's legality or authenticity.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top