Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/8/2001 10:18:17 PM EDT
It's late and I have had this idea in my head for a while. In a few years when i buy a house would it be feasible to extend back a 10-15' section of my basement wall 25-30' back or so? I could shoot all day long in my own basement. that would be awesome. I will be in texas if that matters. And would more than likely have sruppressors for all my toys. Come on construction jedi's what would be involved and estimated costs. I figure rent a bobcat dig it out from outside. Knock down the wall (making sure it was supported properly) and then put in a structure cover and put the dirt back in on top. Run siome lighting and a simply retractable target holder. the bullets would go into the side walls which would be dirt or reinforced with rubber mats, minimizing riccochet. Lets hear it..
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 10:23:52 PM EDT
Actually, I designed a dream home with a shooting range below the basement.
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 10:34:48 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 10:39:10 PM EDT
Why not some Concrete piping--a 3 or 4' internal diameter pipe would give plenty of room for you to get to the end of it for repairs if needed, and you could put a fairly long amount in cheaply. Put some PVC pipe alongside it, and run a couple of simple wires through the PVC pipe (hook it up to household current or just a battery), put a light fixture at the end of the piping (opening into something like a large plywood box or made of railroad ties that would catch the bullets readily--and the light fixture would be above the level of the pipe, so it would not get smashed easily). A simple pulley system to take the targets out would work. You could easily crawl to the end of it if necessary to do repairs.
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 10:42:26 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 10:14:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/9/2001 10:09:24 AM EDT by thee12nv]
Originally Posted By AFARR: Why not some Concrete piping--a 3 or 4' internal diameter pipe would give plenty of room for you to get to the end of it for repairs if needed, and you could put a fairly long amount in cheaply. Put some PVC pipe alongside it, and run a couple of simple wires through the PVC pipe (hook it up to household current or just a battery), put a light fixture at the end of the piping (opening into something like a large plywood box or made of railroad ties that would catch the bullets readily--and the light fixture would be above the level of the pipe, so it would not get smashed easily). A simple pulley system to take the targets out would work. You could easily crawl to the end of it if necessary to do repairs.
View Quote
Not a bad idea... I just wanted something large enough to drag an old tv or monitor down there and blast it to hell. What about the riccochet of the concrete walls? I know ventalation (bathroom fans that come on when you turn on the range lights :), walls (Ruuber or wood beams) and other little details need to be worked out but man it would be nice to just go downstairs and blast away. I was thinking houston, tx I will be working there soon and down the road may get a house. The water table there prevent this? I know it would in Fl, plus we have no basements here.
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 10:51:29 AM EDT
Basement? In Houston? hahahahahahahahahahaha Seriously, I think you have to get a little farther west to be able to have a basement without water problems, and health issues.
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 11:20:21 AM EDT
You'll need some serious ventillation systems for the basement area. You don't want to have yourself and your family breathing lead; its toxic stuff. You'll probably need a filtration ststem too - you can't just vent it and blow it outside. You don't want to expose your kids and everyone in the neighborhood to it either.
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 12:07:19 PM EDT
Originally Posted By FALARAK: Basement? In Houston? hahahahahahahahahahaha Seriously, I think you have to get a little farther west to be able to have a basement without water problems, and health issues.
View Quote
Allright i get the hint... Maybe when i move somewhere else you will see this post again :)
Top Top