Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/7/2001 2:03:46 PM EDT
Looks like we're in for another interesting night with crazy[whacko]Mike in the ring. So who do you thinks gonna win this one? Will it be a knockout...or will it go the distance? Either way, should be interesting.

[i]Tyson Will Skip Mercer for Lewis

By ED SCHUYLER JR., AP Boxing Writer
NEW YORK (AP) - Mike Tyson called off his January fight against Ray Mercer so he can challenge heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis in April.

"This is a business, and I'm sure Ray understands why I need to take Lennox out now," Tyson said in statement Friday. "Lennox made me an offer than I could not refuse, and it is time to give the people what they want."

Shelly Finkel, Tyson's adviser, said, "It was worthwhile to go directly to Lewis."

As the No. 1 contender, Tyson is in position for the WBC's mandatory challenge against Lewis, who regained the WBC and IBF titles by knocking out Hasim Rahman in the fourth round of a rematch Nov. 17 at Las Vegas.

On Tuesday, Lewis sued in U.S. District Court in New York to have Tyson drop the Mercer fight or have the WBC remove him from the mandatory challenger's position

"The heavyweight championship is my destiny, and I need my belts on my waist again," Tyson said. "So keep taking those acting lessons, Lennox, because your next role will be playing Cinderella, and I am going to break your little glass chin."

Lewis' only two losses were on one-punch knockouts - by Oliver McCall in 1994, and by Rahman last April 22.

Tyson stopped Brian Neilsen after six rounds Oct. 13 at Copenhagen, his first fight since Andrew Golota quit after two rounds Oct. 20, 2000.

The Jan. 19 Mercer fight was to have been telecast by Showtime, which had no comment about the cancelation.

The cancelation indicates that Showtime, which has a deal with Tyson, and HBO, which has a contract with Lewis, are close to agreeing on what would be a major pay-per-view fight.

They have had many meetings.

"I'm hopeful," Finkel said. "It's not done yet."

The career clocking is running down for both Tyson and Lewis. Tyson will be 36 on June 30. Lewis, of Britain, turned 36 on Sept. 2.[/i]
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 2:20:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I pick Tyson....by a tooth.
[:D]
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 2:23:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Tyson would've eaten Mercer alive (literally).  Lewis, who wouldn't of had a prayer against an old-school Tyson, seems to get better as a fighter as time goes on.  It'll be an interesting fight anyway - Mr. Conservative vs. Mr. Psycho.
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 4:14:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I think they ought to ban the gloves, and give them chains and clubs. The surviving dirtbag gets a few million to spend until the next time someone tries to kill him.
Don King ruined boxing. I don't even watch any more.
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 6:11:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Boxing would be more interesting if it had more structure, i.e., a single governing body that would schedule the fights instead of having the managers and lawyers negotiate things.
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 6:52:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Renamed, please use caution.  Something such as you propose makes sense.
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 8:25:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Scheming warlords, drugs, shifting alliances, battles ending in sudden collapses... Is it Afghanistan or the world of boxing? [BD]
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 5:02:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Tyson is a broken down Bum that owes the IRS more money than he can ever possibly earn.

I think this fight will be Boring!!

They both stink IMHO
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top