Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/7/2001 1:19:08 PM EDT
Recently another tragic incident occurred in our city, like has so many other times before in so many other cities before.  Several young white males went on a speeding rampage in an affluent part of the city and ended up severely wounding many innocent people and killing one elderly man before finally killing themselves.  

No apparent motive was identified however, like so many times before, these wreckless thrillseekers used a high-speed automatic Mustang 5.0.   Much of the media portrays this a just another "car accident" but the time has come to call this type of violence what it truly is: "Assault Driving"

It is time to put an end to the thousands of needless deaths each year caused by the use of High-Speed Assault Cars such as the "Mustang 5.0L Automatic" or the "5-speed Corvette ", more brazenly known as "Muscle Cars".  

Believe it or not, these high-speed vehicles of death are actually DESIGNED to drive at speeds well over 120mph!!  

How many more "[I]car accidents[/I]" must there be before these killing machines are finally banned?

I mean, [I][b] nobody NEEDS a car that can drive 120mph![/b][/I].  These assault cars are made for just one thing - killing other innocent drivers - and lots of them.  

There are plenty of other ways a person can travel about the town without resorting to such uncontrollable and destructive killing machines, such as the bicycle, the Geo Metro, or mass transit. These small, built-for speed people-killers have no place in our society.  

But I know this is an uphill battle.  The Big Auto Lobby has many conservative legislators in their back pockets and spend countless millions in TV advertising showing their High-Speed Assault Cars driving at breakneck speeds and spinning out of control on wet roads.  This just encourages people, mostly aggressive young males, to push these death machines to their limits.  

We've tried mandatory registration, licensing and even driver's education, but still the needless and horrific carnage continues, day after day.  

New traffic laws were enacted, stiffer penalties were imposed, and yet still people manage to get a hold of these High-Velocity Autos of Death and drive at ridiculous speeds through our streets.

Now is the time to ban the production, use and possession of family-killing cars like the Mustang or Corvette or any other so-called "Muscle Cars" and their copycats.  

And when these are finally cleared from our society, we may then have the safety and peace that we all yearn for and hope to pass on for our children.
[:|]
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 1:24:07 PM EDT
[#1]
NO, ban dihydrogen oxide!
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 1:40:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Geeshhh..... can I get a high-speed assault car? Are they all black - I'm really tired of all these sporterized cars that lack the necessary velocity? What kind of RPM are we talking about here?
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 2:02:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 2:11:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Making this kind of argument to my anti aquaintances brings howls of protest!

The worst automotive spectacle I've witnessed in a long time is right here in my apartment complex:

A Geo Metro with a "Drive it like you stole it" bumper sticker.  The very idea of putting a daring sticker on a 3 cylinder econobox.  If I was a cop, I'd pull that car over, run the plate, and give the driver a ticket for wreckless ignorance.

-------
"IIIIIIIIII can't control you,
YYYOOOOOoooo can't control me."
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 2:22:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I agree with The_Macallan. These vehicular weapons are decimating our youth. Many are obtained from car shows for the purpose of commiting crimes and gang activity! We need to put a stop to this before all our innocent drivers are slain by the clearly defective and deadly devices. I also think we need to ban bridges. Many deaths have been attributed to bridges, and those who use them for illegitimate purposes. And while we're at it tall buildings and bathtubs are clearly defective and death traps. How long must we tolerate death to our citizens caused by these unsafe and deadly devices!! And the time is now to rally the safety nazi minnions to ban all dangers known to man. After all, freedom itself leads to dangerous and irrational behavior....we need to lock down all actions by all people, at all times! In fact the only safe life is no life at all, therefore, to be ultimately safe, life itself should be banned! It is flawed, dangerous and eventually terminal to all who try it!

[8)]

Link Posted: 12/7/2001 2:30:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Last week I went to a CAR SHOW! I was shocked to find these lethal missles of death openly on display! And get this, ANYONE can just walk up and buy the killing machine of his or her choice. A total, drooling idiot with 10 or more violations can merely pay the price and just drive away! Its time to close this carshow "loophole"
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 2:34:31 PM EDT
[#7]
If we remove the shifter knob, would that be one less evil feature?  [;D]
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 2:38:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Pretty funny.

Would this be a bad time to mention that you have to have a special licence and undergo testing to use one of those deadly assault vehicles.

Then there's the registration and DMV records.....

and DEQ...

and required insurance (in this state) for using it...

Naw, this probably isn't a very good pro-gun arguement.  Or is it?[:D]
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 2:39:23 PM EDT
[#9]
So that is why soccer moms look at me with shame when they see my drive by in my Mustang.

It's a 5 speed though, does that make it bolt action??  It's sure not full auto....
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 2:42:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I totally agree.  It's time for reasonable legislation -- for the sake of the children.

I propose the following:

-  The following cars, or replica's thereof should be banned from further manufacture.  Those wishing to keep their already owned "muscle cars" must submit to a driving background test, provide federal registration of themselves and any other drivers and carry at all times a "Vehicle Owners Identification Card" or VOID.
[list]
[*] Corvette[/*]
[*] Mustang[/*]
[*] VR4[/*]
[*] BMW M3/M4[/*]
[*] Vector[/*]
[*] Bugatti[/*]
[*] F50[/*]
[/list]
- All cars manufactured in the United States must meet a strict "transportation purpose" guideline.  Cars for safe transportation purposes shall not have more than three of the following items:
[list]
[*] A manual transmission with more than 4 forward gears and one reverse gear.[/*]
[*] Low profile and wide "sports tires" which sit conspicuously low in a menacing fashion.[/*]
[*] Any motor larger than 4.5 liters with more than 5% titanium or aluminum parts.[/*]
[*] More than two disk brakes (front).[/*]
[*] More than 150 rear wheel horse power[/*]
[*] More than one spoiler (front or rear), or other menacing looking ground effects.[/*]
[/list]

-  Any vehicle with three or more of these features shall be classified as a "muscle car" or "sports car" and possession shall be punishable by 10 years and a $10,000 fine.

-  Owners of pre-ban "muscle cars" may not park them in a garage thereby hiding their presence from neighbors.

-  Purchasing of pre-ban "muscle cars" shall be legal once the perspective owner fills out a Form 4, submits to an FBI and local DMV background driving history check and criminal history check, obtains sign-off from local police chief and pays a one time tax of $2,000 per vehicle.

-  All pre-ban "muscle cars" will be banned from county roads, residential streets, any road or street within a city limit and may only be driven during day light hours on federal interstate highways.

I think such legislation is only reasonable.

Link Posted: 12/7/2001 2:50:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 2:57:40 PM EDT
[#12]
What about these awful things:
[url]http://pastvertical.8m.com[/url]
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 3:03:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Pretty funny.

Would this be a bad time to mention that you have to have a special licence and undergo testing to use one of those deadly assault vehicles.

and DEQ...

View Quote

Nay Nay old buddy! You can go to "Crazy______'s"
right now with a wad of cash and drive off in the 400hp killing machine of your choice. No background check and only one piece of paperwork that you are free to throw in the glove box and forget about! Its only the law abiding ham and egg joe who has suffer the indignity of licensing and registration.
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 3:11:54 PM EDT
[#14]
It is time to go to the root of the problem. I demand that testosterone be declared a controlled substance and would be administered to legally married heterosexual couples ONLY for the purposes of procreation.

This has been willed, where what is willed must be.
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 3:22:40 PM EDT
[#15]
I agree. Ban them! Those things are deadly!

Of course, I would then have to sell my five pre-bans to the highest bidder(s).
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 3:24:26 PM EDT
[#16]
lurker,
I'm with you on this one. Dihydrogen Monoxide has lead to several problems
The Invisible Killer
Dihydrogen monoxide is colorless, odorless, tasteless, and kills uncounted thousands of people every year. Most of these deaths are caused by accidental inhalation of DHMO, but the dangers of dihydrogen monoxide do not end there. Prolonged exposure to its solid form causes severe tissue damage. Symptoms of DHMO ingestion can include excessive sweating and urination, and possibly a bloated feeling, nausea, vomiting and body electrolyte imbalance. For those who have become dependent, DHMO withdrawal means certain death.
Dihydrogen monoxide:

is also known as hydroxl acid, and is the major component of acid rain.
contributes to the "greenhouse effect."
may cause severe burns.
contributes to the erosion of our natural landscape.
accelerates corrosion and rusting of many metals.
may cause electrical failures and decreased effectiveness of automobile brakes.
has been found in excised tumors of terminal cancer patients.
Contamination Is Reaching Epidemic Proportions!
Quantities of dihydrogen monoxide have been found in almost every stream, lake, and reservoir in America today. But the pollution is global, and the contaminant has even been found in Antarctic ice. DHMO has caused millions of dollars of property damage in the midwest, and recently California.

Despite the danger, dihydrogen monoxide is often used:

as an industrial solvent and coolant.
in nuclear power plants.
in the production of styrofoam.
as a fire retardant.
in many forms of cruel animal research.
in the distribution of pesticides. Even after washing, produce remains contaminated by this chemical.
as an additive in certain "junk-foods" and other food products.
Companies dump waste DHMO into rivers and the ocean, and nothing can be done to stop them because this practice is still legal. The impact on wildlife is extreme, and we cannot afford to ignore it any longer!
The Horror Must Be Stopped!

Iso
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 3:26:19 PM EDT
[#17]
OK Screw you guys.

What about the the 21st Amendment to The Constitution;

The velocity being necessary to the well being of a well exciting travel means about a free state, the right of the people to keep and drive bad ass autos shall not be infringed.
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 3:42:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 3:57:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
lurker,
I'm with you on this one. Dihydrogen Monoxide has lead to several problems
The Invisible Killer
Dihydrogen monoxide is colorless, odorless, tasteless, and kills uncounted thousands of people every year. Most of these deaths are caused by accidental inhalation of DHMO, but the dangers of dihydrogen monoxide do not end there. Prolonged exposure to its solid form causes severe tissue damage. Symptoms of DHMO ingestion can include excessive sweating and urination, and possibly a bloated feeling, nausea, vomiting and body electrolyte imbalance. For those who have become dependent, DHMO withdrawal means certain death.
Dihydrogen monoxide:

is also known as hydroxl acid, and is the major component of acid rain.
contributes to the "greenhouse effect."
may cause severe burns.
contributes to the erosion of our natural landscape.
accelerates corrosion and rusting of many metals.
may cause electrical failures and decreased effectiveness of automobile brakes.
has been found in excised tumors of terminal cancer patients.
Contamination Is Reaching Epidemic Proportions!
Quantities of dihydrogen monoxide have been found in almost every stream, lake, and reservoir in America today. But the pollution is global, and the contaminant has even been found in Antarctic ice. DHMO has caused millions of dollars of property damage in the midwest, and recently California.

Despite the danger, dihydrogen monoxide is often used:

as an industrial solvent and coolant.
in nuclear power plants.
in the production of styrofoam.
as a fire retardant.
in many forms of cruel animal research.
in the distribution of pesticides. Even after washing, produce remains contaminated by this chemical.
as an additive in certain "junk-foods" and other food products.
Companies dump waste DHMO into rivers and the ocean, and nothing can be done to stop them because this practice is still legal. The impact on wildlife is extreme, and we cannot afford to ignore it any longer!
The Horror Must Be Stopped!

Iso
View Quote
yes we need to ban h20
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 4:01:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 4:58:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Now we'll have to sue the car manufacturers for knowingly selling a 'defective product'.  There were no steering wheel locks designed into them, although they are available aftermarket.
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 5:16:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pretty funny.

and DEQ...

View Quote

Nay Nay old buddy! You can go to "Crazy______'s"
right now with a wad of cash and drive off in the 400hp killing machine of your choice. No background check and only one piece of paperwork that you are free to throw in the glove box and forget about! Its only the law abiding ham and egg joe who has suffer the indignity of licensing and registration.
View Quote

Nah it's worse than that - we must require that even private transfer of these evil "Muscle Cars" be done with through a federally licensed agent - to close the car show loop-hole, and the problems with private transfers and strawman purchases...
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 5:28:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I totally agree.  It's time for reasonable legislation -- for the sake of the children.

I propose the following:

-  The following cars, or replica's thereof should be banned from further manufacture.  Those wishing to keep their already owned "muscle cars" must submit to a driving background test, provide federal registration of themselves and any other drivers and carry at all times a "Vehicle Owners Identification Card" or VOID.
[list]
[*] Corvette[/*]
[*] Mustang[/*]
[*] VR4[/*]
[*] BMW M3/M4[/*]
[*] Vector[/*]
[*] Bugatti[/*]
[*] F50[/*]
[/list]
- All cars manufactured in the United States must meet a strict "transportation purpose" guideline.  Cars for safe transportation purposes shall not have more than three of the following items:
[list]
[*] A manual transmission with more than 4 forward gears and one reverse gear.[/*]
[*] Low profile and wide "sports tires" which sit conspicuously low in a menacing fashion.[/*]
[*] Any motor larger than 4.5 liters with more than 5% titanium or aluminum parts.[/*]
[*] More than two disk brakes (front).[/*]
[*] More than 150 rear wheel horse power[/*]
[*] More than one spoiler (front or rear), or other menacing looking ground effects.[/*]
[/list]

-  Any vehicle with three or more of these features shall be classified as a "muscle car" or "sports car" and possession shall be punishable by 10 years and a $10,000 fine.

-  Owners of pre-ban "muscle cars" may not park them in a garage thereby hiding their presence from neighbors.

-  Purchasing of pre-ban "muscle cars" shall be legal once the perspective owner fills out a Form 4, submits to an FBI and local DMV background driving history check and criminal history check, obtains sign-off from local police chief and pays a one time tax of $2,000 per vehicle.

-  All pre-ban "muscle cars" will be banned from county roads, residential streets, any road or street within a city limit and may only be driven during day light hours on federal interstate highways.

I think such legislation is only reasonable.

View Quote

Wow, you must be on the staff of the Honorable Senator Charles Schumer.  Seems like you've got all the bases covered.  (you've been planning this for a while I bet [;)]
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 5:46:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Funny thing is I had 1 vehicle that had several of these features: 4 Wheel Disc Brakes, 180 HP, 5 Speed Transmission, etc...I burned up the engine at a speed of 127 mph on the Beeline Expressway between Orlando and Cocoa.

But, as with guns. I responded once to a person who wrote into the Sun-Sentinel spewing Anti-Gun garbage. Unfortunately it wasn't published. This bitch went into how we should regulate guns like cars. We register cars and liscense drivers after all.

Well, my response was something like this, but much better worded:

1) Cars Do Not Have To Be Registered. Only a car that is to be driven on the road needs to be registered.

2) Owners Do Not Have To Be Lisenced Drivers. Only those who actually use a car on the road have to be lisenced. I can drive my car on a private track all day with no lisence as I have done before. The same for firearms, I can shoot all day with no lisence at a private range. But, to carry I must have a CCW.

3) A Driver only need be 15 y/o to drive on public streets. There is no minimum for driving on private property. Again, I have driven on private property before I was anywhere near 15. To own a gun, I have to be 18 or 21, depending on the gun. Same goes for private property, 18 and 21.

4) A car can be sold by any person at any time without regards to state lines. Yet, I cannot sell my own gun to a guy down the road because he isn't a Florida resident.

5) My Florida DL is reconized in all 50 states, all territories, and almost any country around the world. Yet, a Florida CHL isn't even accepted in Alabama (Note: This was true when I wrote the letter. Since, Florida and Alabama have signed Reciprocity.)

6) I could have a car that goes 255 mph at 15 on public roads or any age on private land if I have $300,000 to spend. But, I cannot have a gun that fires more than 1 shot per trigger pull anywhere no matter how much money I have becuase I would have to be 21.
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 5:49:19 PM EDT
[#25]
And I propose after we get those big "long range of travel" SUV's we can go after those Sunday Morning Specials that are so blatantly advertised in the local paper and are cheaply made and have no "traveling" purpose except to gain high amounts of speed very quickly!
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 5:57:14 PM EDT
[#26]
7) As of now, you can own any car you want. But, I cannot own many guns. You can have any muffler you want, even one that makes your car nearly silent. Yet if I even have the parts to make a silencer for my guin, I'd go to Federal Prison for 10 years. You can have a car with a ram bumper (to ram other cars), but I cannot have even a Bayonet Lug much less a bayonet on my Rifle without going to Federal Prison for 10 Years.

8) You can drive down the road legally or many times in excess of the posted speed and never get pulled over. Yet, many honest gunowners are stopped, questioned, or forced to produce papers every day. Some courts have even ruled that simply owning certain guns creates a presumption that they are illegal. Yet, owning a sports car ahs never created a presumption that it is stolen, etc...much less would any judge sign off on that.

In conclusion, I could only hope that one day guns will be as unregulated as cars. But, alas that will never happen.
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 6:29:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
And I propose after we get those big "long range of travel" SUV's we can go after those Sunday Morning Specials that are so blatantly advertised in the local paper and are cheaply made and have no "traveling" purpose except to gain high amounts of speed very quickly!
View Quote

These "High Capacity" fuel tanks are the first thing that needs to be controlled!
So far no mention has been made of high octane the so called "Cop Killer" Gasoline!
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 6:57:32 PM EDT
[#28]
And don't forget those Hi-capacity vehicles!  I live in MD so any vehicle capable of loading more than 20 riders are considered Pre-Ban.  Are we going to let our children ride in those evil dagerous looking "school busses"?
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 7:45:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
the "Mustang 5.0L Automatic" or the "5-speed Corvette ", more brazenly known as "Muscle Cars".  
View Quote
Actually, it is usually the other way around, with far more Mustangs having manual trans than 'Vettes.

I think all cars should be manual trans, then most of these kids couldn't drive, because most people learn on autos.  Just think how much traffic that would clear out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top