Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 9/16/2008 10:40:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Check your local laws on discharging firearms.  If it is legally OK for you to discharge firearms in your backyard, go for the DIY approach.  Otherwise, I recommend finding a vet.  

Also check your local laws on the disposal of animal remains.  A lot of locales don't like the idea of people putting animal remains in the garbage or burying them in backyards.  

Sorry about your dog.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2008 10:46:02 PM EDT
[#2]
A 22 should be fine.  The only reason I would suggest you do it is so when you are asked what should be done, you say "Take it to the vet."

I had one dog bleed a fountain of blood through the hole in its skull and one cat where the eye partially popped out of the skull.  For some reason this never bothered me on any livestock during slaughtering season or deer, ducks, quail, etc.  But it really bothered me on the family pets.

Take it to the vet.
Link Posted: 9/16/2008 11:20:39 PM EDT
[#3]
While I understand the reasoning behind your wanting to do this, it's not something I could ever do myself.  I'd call the vet.

ETA: Unless my friend was in dire pain.
Link Posted: 9/16/2008 11:20:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Why not just let the dog die of old age?

They sometimes go in their sleep, which is the best way.
Link Posted: 9/16/2008 11:27:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't do it .

I did it years ago for a neighbor who's dog had been run over and crushed .
By all rights , this dog should have been dead but it refused to give up .

I won't go into the gory details , but I used enough gun and shot
placement was perfect ( Tough To Miss From A Foot Away )
What I learned that day is that even when you destroy 90% of the
brain and sever the spinal cord . It still takes about 2 seconds for the
light to go out of the eyes and 4-5 more for the body to shut down .

Quick yes , but not instant .

It would have to be dire circumstances for me to choose this option for
an animal I consider a pet
Link Posted: 9/16/2008 11:30:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I had a small mixed breed dog dumped at my place and we decided to take him in. We had him for about 3 weeks when he wiggled through a gap in the fence and got hit on the road. He was mangled to badly to be saved and it was very obvious that he was on his ay out but I decided to make it quicker for the little guy. 2 shots to the head with a .22 later it was over and I still feel guilty for botching the job.  If you think you can do it go for it but its a hard job and I wouldnt reccomend it.  Thinking of it still brngs tears to my eyes.
Link Posted: 9/16/2008 11:36:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I've never had to kill a dog before but I've killed plenty of coons I've trapped. Even with perfect shot placement, they die, but still kick (reflexes). Also had to do the same thing to some of my prize show chickens. They flop like hell.

What I'm saying is that even if the animal "dies", it'll still most likely kick and flop a little bit. I wouldn't want to see that with my dog.

I think you're better off with another means of putting it down.

I have a friend who's friend's kid killed himself with CO2. Ran a tube from the exhaust of the car to the car, closed the windows and was lights out. Horrible, but CO2 does work, the trick is making sure there's enough of it in a confined area.

I've heard that antifreeze also kills pets (heard of it being used to kill stray cats). Supposedly they love the taste of it and it knocks them out.

Just my two cents.

Bummer
Link Posted: 9/16/2008 11:50:24 PM EDT
[#8]
22 or 9mm.  Point blank range behind an ear.  Very little sound.

Doesn't work on smaller animals - just not enough mass there to counter the shot.  You don't want a mess like that.  

Feed him his favorite food first.  Tell him you love him and you're sorry it has to end.  Remember the good old days.  Be ready to cry if you care about him.  

You know this is not an easy thing to do.  Don't pretend that it will be.  Cowboy up and do the hard thing that no one else can do is part of being a man.

Don't do this around any other people.  Very bad to have anyone around.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2008 11:56:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Ive put a couple non-dog pets down myself, and my dad put one dog down we had who was older, and had maggots boring holes all over her back. I was a kid but I remember him leading her around back our hay barn and doing the job. All our pets got burried on our property including my parents Arabian mare who got collick. We hired a backhoe operator to come dig a pit in our riding arena and put her in there.

Its hard to do but IMO its part of the responsibility of owning a pet.

Link Posted: 9/17/2008 12:01:08 AM EDT
[#10]
OP, I am a fireman of 17 years. I understand that you care for your dog, but do it right and have a vet put the dog down for you. The carbon monoxide idea is horrible, and will not be a "quick and painless" death, contrary to what most people believe. The dog would suffer from the pain of slow suffocation, vomitting, and an excrutiating headache... same as a human would. Not to mention the risk that the CO will also enter your home and pose a risk to you and your family.

If money is a problem, explain it to the vet. Most vets are very sympathetic people and will do whatever they can to help, and might be able to set you up with a payment plan.

Most have said it in this thread. I will say it again, and am done with this topic.

Have the vet put your dog down. It is the most painless way to do this, for both you and your pet.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2008 12:04:03 AM EDT
[#11]
It's easy to say a real man shoots his dog himself; it sure as hell isn't easy to actually do it. It's easy to pull the trigger on a piece of paper, a clay pigeon, or a game animal. It is totally different when it's your pet buddy in your sights. It's very hard to put your pet down that way.

Since you're in town I say have the vet do it to avoid legal hassles in addition to all the rest of it.

Link Posted: 9/17/2008 12:50:53 AM EDT
[#12]

I've heard that antifreeze also kills pets (heard of it being used to kill stray cats). Supposedly they love the taste of it and it knocks them out.

Antifreeze is another drawn-out, painful way to kill an animal. Don't do it.

ETA A family cat apparently got into some antifreeze. It took him 3 days to die. Most of the time he was paralyzed.
Link Posted: 9/17/2008 12:55:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Use a bigger caliber than a .22LR. If you miss ever so slightly, you will have a animal in severe pain. I know from experience, and I personally will use a shotgun if/when I have to do it again.
Link Posted: 9/17/2008 1:03:53 AM EDT
[#14]
No one has said it yet? Call the police.
Link Posted: 9/17/2008 1:14:07 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/17/2008 1:18:08 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Code of conduct prevents me from saying what I really want to say. Not funny at all. This is one of the saddest threads I've seen in quite some time. I wish I would have never opened it.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2008 1:19:09 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
*snip*

come on man, i know it was just a light hearted joke, but remember there is a guy here that has to put his best buddy down.

I think he would appreciate it if you didn't make statements like that
Link Posted: 9/17/2008 2:17:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Having used the truck's carbon monoxide via shop vac hose to a plastic trash can to put down a cat...

I would pay to put down an animal.... which I did for our dog last June.  

Fifty nine dollars as I held her in my arms as she exhaled her last breathe in the back of my truck.  I bought her home to be with us on our property.

I still regret what I did to that cat and thats been three years ago!

Much luck friend... this is one of the hardest decisions you have to make.          
Link Posted: 9/17/2008 2:23:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Better to keep your mouth shut, and let people think you are a fool, than open it and confirm the fact.

Why are you asking on the internet the best way to kill your dog?  Have you been planning this thread since April 2006?

Ask your vet what the best caliber and location is for a humane kill, in the city.
Link Posted: 9/17/2008 2:29:56 AM EDT
[#20]
When it is time for my dogs to go I will take them to the vet - they love going there (seriously: they get excited whenever I say "want to go to the vet", I have always made it a fun experience for them, treats during the visit, lots of attentions, other doggies smells, a nice walk after).

If I had a dog that was scared of the vet I would find a vet to come out to the house.
Link Posted: 9/17/2008 3:25:33 AM EDT
[#21]
I have put down several pets in my lifetime. Several that I really cared about. .22 did a good job for what its worth. Hated to do it, but I will always be the one who puts my pets down.

I put my mom's dog down because it had an infection that was tearing it up and it was just too expensive to fix. I took it for a really long walk. It was the happiest day of its life. I came back alone.

The cats and dogs I have put down did not twitch at all. I put the bullet through the spinal cord and it was just lights out.
Link Posted: 9/17/2008 3:29:29 AM EDT
[#22]
You could always go to the shelter when they are doing the euthanasia's and stay with the dog or go to a vet.  If it is done with a muscle relaxer then pink juice they just fall asleep.

I'm not sure I would want my last memory of my long time four legged partner to be him bleeding from a hole in the head.

If you are close to Mt. Pleasant the Isabella Shelter used to be pretty good about doing this for you for a small fee.  I've done it more that a couple times, it sucks.

Joe
Link Posted: 9/17/2008 4:07:38 AM EDT
[#23]

Not arguing for or against the practice here, but shot placement is very, very important.

A critter can live a long time and thrash around quite a bit if shot in the ear or between the eyes as suggested. You'd be better off placing your shot at the base of the skull angled toward the area between the eyes. This destroys the brain stem and results in a very fast death.

Sorry to hear about your old friend.
Link Posted: 9/17/2008 4:21:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Don't do it.  It's hard enough taking the dog to the vet and holding him while he gets a shot, then goes to sleep.  You'll be able to brag on AR15.com ... but you'll forever fell like shit for doing it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2008 4:26:42 AM EDT
[#25]
oh man, my sincerest sympathies to you.you could get a vet to do a house call, some of them do. its a quick injection and takes only a few seconds.
ive almost had to put down one of my own pets at home, thank god she died on her own.

its freakin hard as heck saying good bye to an old friend, i feel for you.

but if you choose to do it yourself be sure you can handle it before hand and dont miss, that would be way too traumatic. it be best if you can give your fella some sedatives to put it to sleep first no matter which method you choose, a travelling vet or your own 22.

Link Posted: 9/17/2008 4:27:45 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Fuck you.
Link Posted: 9/17/2008 4:28:46 AM EDT
[#27]
Had same problem, call your local vet and see if they know a traveling vet. I had one come to the house. Dont do the shooting thing, its tramatic for you and I've scene a dog take a 22 to the back of the head and he fell over and starting wagging his tail, I strongly recommend you don't do that...Will never forget that.
Link Posted: 9/17/2008 4:32:06 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I don't have a problem with doing it yourself but, I've been told that some vets will make a house call to help you out.

Hope you have your flame suit on.

ETA- Do you have a neighbor or friend that could help you out?

Call the vet.  If they won't do a house call then ask them to recommend someone who will.  When its time for my young 'ns that is my plan.  You need to show them you love them one last time and I think thats the best way to do it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2008 4:33:26 AM EDT
[#29]
I would rather have the vet put mine down. They are inside dogs and part of my family. If they are an outside dog, I could see doing it to save some money, I guess.
Link Posted: 9/17/2008 4:37:08 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Code of conduct prevents me from saying what I really want to say. Not funny at all. This is one of the saddest threads I've seen in quite some time. I wish I would have never opened it.  

+1...Call a vet.I could never in a 1000 years shoot my dog.
Link Posted: 9/17/2008 4:46:13 AM EDT
[#31]
I've done it for friends.  In one case, the dog was injured and was in agony and couldn't really be moved.  I use a .38 most of the time.  I do not recommend doing it on your own dog unless it's just absolutely necessary.  If you can't afford a vet, call a friend who the dog knows.  Don't use a .22 unless you are willing to take a couple of follow-up shots rather quickly.

Our vet would come to the house for a job like this but I actually prefer to do it at the vet's office.  I don't really treat my dogs like little humans, just the way I was raised, but I still like the little guys.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2008 4:49:02 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Why not just let the dog die of old age?

They sometimes go in their sleep, which is the best way.

I let my dog go this way. He was in no pain in spite of his blindness and weak heart. He was happy to be alive until his final day, when he laid on his favorite blanket and fell asleep for the last time. I was present when he passed, it was peaceful. We wrapped him in that blanket and buried him in it. In a way it gave a sense of closure.

If I had killed him or paid someone else to do it, I would feel guilty and wonder how many more happy moments I denied him before his natural time. Had I taken the vets advice, he would have been put down over a year before his natural death. But he lived and never showed signs of pain. He even managed to get my younger dog (female) pregnant before checking out. The pups were born the same day he died.
Link Posted: 9/17/2008 4:54:00 AM EDT
[#33]
Having been witness to a dog shot in the head that didn't go as planned, I'm going to suggest having a vet do this.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2008 4:55:37 AM EDT
[#34]
Show some compassion to your loyal buddy and have a vet out to your house and euthanize him. Heck, at least you can hold and comfort him (or her).
Link Posted: 9/17/2008 5:04:34 AM EDT
[#35]
Please have the Vet come and do it. I just had my Beagle put down in July. First shot to make him go to sleep and the second shot to stop his heart. He died without a twitch, peacefully in his sleep. I believe your loyal companion deserves a death that will not haunt you. Believe me, it is hard enough without your last memory being of you shooting your pet in the head. I am sorry that you have to go thru this because it sucks. I wish all the best for you and hope you go with the Vet.
Link Posted: 9/17/2008 6:35:36 AM EDT
[#36]
Brother, if your dog is like family, would you take your parents or kids out back and put a bullet in their head when they have a terminal disease?

Do the correct thing and have a vet put the animal down.

Or know someone who works in the medical field.  It is not that hard to get a hold of drugs that when given IV will terminate life with no discomfort.  I know this because I'm friends with a pharmacy tech and she euthinized her dog of 15 years at home on her own.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2008 6:54:54 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
My dog is old and needs to be put down soon, I live in the city. I would much rather do it myself then take it to the pound and have its last moments being scared. What is the best way to do this? I have no experience with doing something like this. Would a .22 close range be my best choice? Thanks for the help...

Take it to the VET and let them do it. I had to put my 13 yo Beagle down this past spring. Believe me, if you care anything about the dog you won't go the .22 route. Watching it happen in the vet office was still one of the single most horrible things Ive ever f'ing watched.

edit: you can be in the room when they do this. so you can hold him. He won't be as scared with some strangers... shit man
Link Posted: 9/17/2008 6:57:12 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I've never had to kill a dog before but I've killed plenty of coons I've trapped. Even with perfect shot placement, they die, but still kick (reflexes). Also had to do the same thing to some of my prize show chickens. They flop like hell.

What I'm saying is that even if the animal "dies", it'll still most likely kick and flop a little bit. I wouldn't want to see that with my dog.

I think you're better off with another means of putting it down.

I have a friend who's friend's kid killed himself with CO2. Ran a tube from the exhaust of the car to the car, closed the windows and was lights out. Horrible, but CO2 does work, the trick is making sure there's enough of it in a confined area.

Just my two cents.

Bummer

There is nothing peaceful about antifreeze. It cause violent illness and further suffering. DO NOT DO THIS under any circumstance.
Link Posted: 9/17/2008 7:00:43 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Yes.  22 in the ear, or between the eyes, up one inch.  I for one, commend you for doing it yourself, but you'd better put your flame suit on.

what he said.
Link Posted: 9/17/2008 7:05:38 AM EDT
[#40]

Dont shoot your dog. If you truly care for it, the image will haunt you. Dont make your last moments with your friend loud and bloody.

It's just a little blood.  If you're going to go all PTSS over killing your dog you need help.  Don't be a pussy.  The dog doesn't suffer, he just goes away... instantly.  Bury the dead, then go down to the pound and give an unloved animal a home.  It's sad to lose a good dog, but at the end of the day it's just a dog.
Link Posted: 9/17/2008 7:09:42 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Just my two cents.

Bummer

Antifreeze kills very painfully-shuts down the kidneys and other organs, they die having to pee but are unable. Poisoning, especially with something that has toxicity as an unintended secondary function, is quite slow, and much worse than improper shot placement with a followup.
Link Posted: 9/17/2008 7:09:43 AM EDT
[#42]
People who have an old dog should plan to have $100 laying around to do this right, at a Vet's office.
Link Posted: 9/17/2008 7:15:32 AM EDT
[#43]
Find a decent vet.

When it came time for our dog to go the vet tech that he knew and liked came to our home and administered the injection while he lay on his rug in front of the TV with his family around him.

If it has to happen, I can't think of a better way.
Link Posted: 9/17/2008 7:15:47 AM EDT
[#44]
Done it many times, usually if I like the dog, I will pet it and talk nice to it--get it happy and then shoot it in the head before it knows what is going on.  Goes out happy that way, never knows what hits it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2008 7:19:37 AM EDT
[#45]
Pull the nickel out of your ass and call a vet to make a house call.

While he is going to sleep you can pet him.

He wont die alone and wont be afraid.

The dog deserves that much.
Link Posted: 9/17/2008 7:28:42 AM EDT
[#46]
I couldn't do it unless it was a situation where a vet couldn't get there in time (hit by car etc).  My dog hates the vet, so I'm hoping that when his time comes, I can get a vet to do it at home.  I really just hope he dies in his sleep.

This thread is depressing .
Link Posted: 9/17/2008 7:51:03 AM EDT
[#47]
My dog was 14 years old when he started to have problems, he had a hard time walking and getting thru the dogie door. He was stuck in the dogie door when I made the choice to put him down. It was the day before Thanksgiving in 2004 and I helped him out of the door and we walked around the yard for a few minutes. I dug the hole and got the .22 loaded with about five rounds. I walked him over to the spot and petted him for the last time then I put him out of the pain he was in. The spot where I buried him is in the Sun during the Winter, and in the shade during the summer, he loved the yard and patrolled it with pride, so I figured it was best for him and me if I did this. The idea of taking him to the Vet and locking him up in steel cage with people he didn't know as the last thing he saw, just didn't sit well with me. It only took one shot, but it was really hard on me. Knowing that he is free of the pain helped me get over this.
Link Posted: 9/17/2008 7:54:04 AM EDT
[#48]
i've put more than a dozen dogs to sleep for freinds and family ...

two of my own ...

draw an imaginary X between their eyes and ears ...

hold the pistol perpendicular to the surface of the skull and pull the trigger ...

like stated above ... pre dig the hole ... give 'em a treat ... put 'em to sleep

wife is an RN and took our Douge De Bordeux to vet and got to watch him struggle for the last 30 seconds of his life

i have NEVER had any problems ... one minute they are enjoying a snack with you and the next minute you are doing the most humane thing you can

good luck
Link Posted: 9/17/2008 7:59:29 AM EDT
[#49]
I've put down a lot of animals for family over the years. Cows, horses, llamas, pigs, but never a dog or cat. I just can't do it. Its hard enough to lose a friend like a dog without risking causing them more pain.

Its ultimately your decision.

Link Posted: 9/17/2008 8:00:57 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Not fucking cool.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top