Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/6/2001 3:01:22 AM EDT
Went and picked her up from the APA not two days ago.  Adorable, friendly little thing that seemed perfectly content with us right away.  

I worked late last night and when I got home (3 a.m.) looked around for the cat.  I concluded that she was probably holed up behind the couch or something sleeping.  So I sat down to browse the board thinking nothing of it.  After worry took over I began doing a thorough search of the house with a flashlight.  Obviously to no avail.  I woke my wife up while prying the covers off her to check there.  The only thing we can think of is the kitten slipped out as I slipped in.  

I walked around the neighborhood with flashlight calling for the cat quietly (it wasnt even 5 yet).  My wife is out in the car driving around right now.  

To the point of this post:  I don't know what to do.  I don't know where to look.  My daughter is going to be heartbroken, and to be honest, so am I.
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 3:15:27 AM EDT
[#1]
New kitten = SCARED kitten!

I'm willing to bet the thing is holed up somewhere REAL tight. give it a day or so, it'll come out when it get's hungry enough!

Good luck
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 3:17:28 AM EDT
[#2]
I sure hope so, Ruckus.  Do you think that a kitten that has been with us for two days would be smart or instinctive enough to realize where home is?
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 3:24:17 AM EDT
[#3]
I Reaaaaaaaaaaallly doubt it!
Unless home is only a block or so away!

IMO, Cats don't have that 'homing beacon' sense that dogs do.

But where ever that cat is, it's prolly scared as hell, and ain't gonna come out for a while. But I'll bet a dollar to donuts it's in the house somewhere. Hang tight for a day or so, you'll prolly hear it sneaking around in the middle of the night looking for something to eat. So be sure to leave some food out for it until it becomes somewhat comfortable with it's new home.
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 3:33:25 AM EDT
[#4]
This cat did not display any signs of being scared.  She followed my wife around like a shadow.  

BTW, FWIW,  she has a "tortoise shell" coloring and is in the Granite City, IL area
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 3:33:41 AM EDT
[#5]
I really don't know much about cats, but..
it might be worth leaving some milk or food outside.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 3:38:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Food, milk, and the bedding she slept in last night sprinkled with catnip for extra measure, outside now.  Thank you
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 5:00:45 AM EDT
[#7]
As the owner of 4 cats, I'd be willing to bet she is just holed up somewhere too.

When I first brought my first cat home, she did the same thing.  You have to look everywhere, mine crawled in under the refriderator from behind once.  Under my desk drawers, from behind it.

When I moved from IN to AZ, she crawled inside of the box spring of the bed at the hotel.  Look anywhere you think something 1/4 of her size could get.

My fiancee' once had a cat the literally found a hole in the wall and was hiding there.  I would check the house one more time.  I shocked ARlady and I where these little cuties could get to.  I mean....under the refridgerator!!!!!

Good luck finding her.

Oh yeah, also had a kitten jump into the dryer once while I was pulling clothes out of it.  It took me 15 minutes to figure out where the meows were coming from, I was getting ready to open up a wall cuz I thought the got into the basement ceiling.  No it was not turned on, just nice and warm.  Cats love warm spots, or tight confined spots if they are scared, check those first.
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 5:06:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Get a puppy:

[url]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=239607&a=14033231&p=56787795&Sequence=0&res=high[/url]
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 5:13:17 AM EDT
[#9]
She's home!  My wife just woke me up (so I hope this is coherent) She got out of the shower and the cat rubbed up against her leg.  

The thing that's getting me is I DID look everywhere possible (and not so possible) for the cat to hole up in.  I have never been so sure of something as I KNEW the cat was not in the house.  Miracle.  Prayer works.  No doubt.

We might be renaming the cat to Houdini, though.

And here it is: [beer]

Link Posted: 12/6/2001 5:19:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Glad you found her!
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 5:22:24 AM EDT
[#11]
That's some great news!!

You ought to delete this post now, or the usual assholes will turn it into a debate on the merits of cat ownerwhip.

Just some advise from what I've seen previously.

Things seem to get out-of-hand quickly.
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 5:42:17 AM EDT
[#12]
This "regular asshole" will point out that his cat is his best friend.  The cat gives me space, accepts my offer of friendship - most of the time, maintains her independance and shows her appreciation for a good scratch.  As a side benefit she protects my property from the occasional kamikazi rodent.  Asks for very little.  She has yet to sue me, talk about me, talk too much, lie to me, steal from me or any of a host of other offenses.  Pretty good buddy I think.
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 5:50:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Well, at least ya didn't lose a mitten.  In the future may I suggest:
[img]http://www.netsnapshot.com/users/1340/images/PA@CM8CoBQIAAAdUBvw_1340_31.jpeg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 6:10:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Just one of the "usual assholes" checking in [:D]
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 6:11:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Hey dolomite, that was real good. I sent it to several of my friends. Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 8:58:46 AM EDT
[#16]
This kitty isn't related to Fluffy, is it?

You think a cat is hard to find in the house?  Try a snake.   But the, maybe the snake could find the cat.  Then the snake wouldn't come out for a week.  Oh well.
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 9:04:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Years ago I ran the security in a brand new 40 floor luxury apartment building. At least once a week a resident would show up at my office door frantically looking for help because their cat had somehow gotten out of their apartment. It NEVER happened. In every single case the cat was still in the apartment and had found a place to snooze that the owner did not know even existed. Cats are a hoot.

"Dogs have masters, cats have a staff."
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 9:13:06 AM EDT
[#18]
I believe all Cat discussions are supposed to be posted in the "Targets and Range Supplies" forum...
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 9:21:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 9:29:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Glad the kitten showed up. Get used to it though.  I have four cats and when one of them wants to be by itself, they can truly make themselves scarce.
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 9:43:37 AM EDT
[#21]
This is part of the new kitten's job description--to hide out and worry you.

I used to find kittens who had climbed under the chest-of-drawers, climbed up the inside back, and then jumped into a closed drawer.  They would then meow for help.

Wait till they run halfway up your drapes, and stop, hanging.
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 10:05:16 AM EDT
[#22]
hehehe, had a tabby that would do that. old cabinet that had lost its front, cat crawled to the back of the cabinet, there was a spot at the back she could climb into the bottom drawer through and went to sleep. meanwhile i go looking for a motherboard manuel for my computer to check somthin. open the drawer and see sleeping kitty in the drawer. this happened numerous times. kittens and cats are among som if the most interesting animals for their ability to find holes to hide in and make you come find them. many years later at a different house. this same cat climbed a tree. onto a branch and jumped onto the roof ( didnt know this i was inside then) i knew the cat was outside and it had started to rain a little. figured id go see if the cat wanted in. well i open the door and step out onto the driveway *meow* -from my right-  i look, no cat.. must have gone inside since left door open. start to head in *meow* -left this time-. so look around the car *meow* -right (pattern anyone?)- look over.. no cat. what the heck is that little monster doing to me? well i just stand there *meow* *thump roll goes a nut from the roof* look up.. damn thing is on the roof and walking around the edge as i move. had to get a ladder to get her off the roof. nutty cat.
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 10:11:05 AM EDT
[#23]
A dog wouldn't do this to you, but they are loyal [:D]
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 10:35:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Hi Tras -

Glad you got your friend back!  I too have a Tortie calico. They're nifty, and sometimes a bit ditzy.

Mine once got trapped inside/underneath the Barcalounger easy chair when I retracted the footrest; she didn't complain as it was cozy, and I didn't know she was there.  When we were going to bed and wondering where Pastel was - not that many places to hide in a 1Br apt! - it took us quite some time to find her.  We knew she didn't get out (hadn't opened door all evening) so I got a can of cat food from the "cat cupboard" and kept clicking the pull-tab, along with tapping a fork against her bowl.
We immediately heard her jump to attention, detecting her collar bell & ID tag jangling inside the easy chair.  I put a big styrofoam block inside the chair now as a space filler to avoid this.

For the record, pet cats (as opposed to mousers on farms, etc.) really should be indoors.  They do fine if raised that way (as opposed to changing the habits of a mature cat used to "going out") so start 'em out right as a kitten.  If you have an attached garage, put the litter box there and a pet door in the interior door. They will live a LOT longer (8,9 or even 20 yrs vs. 4 yrs avg) due to avoidance of traffic, cat fights, and disease (feline leukemia & kitty AIDS, as well as other bad stuff like coronavirus).  You'll save a lot on vet bills too!

For the record (and gun content) my cat is continually interested in scent of Hoppe's No. 9 and, on occasion, CLP, when I'm cleaning my guns ;-)  She has a total aversion to Barbara Boxer, Dianne Feinswine, and any Clinton, sleeping thru any television coverage crowing about their latest "achievements".

Cats are Republico-libertarians.  Largely self reliant, well-armed, and tolerant of others that tolerate them ;-)

-Bill Wiese
-San Mateo, CA

Link Posted: 12/6/2001 10:45:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

For the record, pet cats (as opposed to mousers on farms, etc.) really should be indoors.  

Cats are Republico-libertarians.  Largely self reliant, well-armed, and tolerant of others that tolerate them ;-)

-Bill Wiese
-San Mateo, CA

View Quote

You obviously have a good grasp on felinity.  

And you are correct, cats should be kept indoors.
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 11:14:25 AM EDT
[#26]
I believe that cats are pure libertarians.  They pull the Republican bit to see what they can get away with.

What about dogs? What is their party affiliation?  

Let's check the characteristics: sticking their noses in everyones crotch, sh*tting all over the place, humping your leg, tearing up stuff and giving you the "poor lil' ol' me" look, follows you around everywhere - including the head, completely dependent.

Sounds like a Democrap.
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 11:27:23 AM EDT
[#27]
I am continually astounded by the ability of my cat to use her natural camouflage and hiding ability to disappear at will.  It's amazing what tight little places they can fit into and go to sleep in.

Yes, cat's do have a natural homing instinct.  Outdoor cats in country can range pretty far from home (over a mile radius, I've heard).  The cat I had as a kid used to disappear for days on end (taking extended hunting trips?) and we'd be all worried that she met with her doom.  Then she'd just show up at the door and ask to be let in like nothing was wrong.  
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 11:36:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Tras,

Glad you got you kitten back.  I think they ususally will find their way home.

I can sypathize with what you were going through.  My kitten got out of the house when a guest leving the a party left the door open.  We didn't notice for a few hours and couldn't find the cat for about a day and a half despite near constant looking.  

The next night, my neighbor called and said they saw a kitten in the storm drain in front of their house, and sure enough there he was.
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 11:37:47 AM EDT
[#29]
"A home without a cat; a well fed, well petted, properly revered cat, may well be a perfect home. But how can it prove it's title?"
Mark Twain
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 11:42:04 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 11:45:37 AM EDT
[#31]
Got one Calico tortie, also (her name is Stimpy, she chirped every time the show was mentioned & it stuck), who hides like nothing else! She has gotten to the point of opening cabinets, and hiding in the roast pan! We will surveil her discretely as she checks to make sure no one is watching, then pulls at the bottom of the door unil it opens enough to get her nose in. Then with just the flash of a tail, she is GONE!

Don Out
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 11:53:50 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
She's home!  My wife just woke me up (so I hope this is coherent) She got out of the shower and the cat rubbed up against her leg.  

The thing that's getting me is I DID look everywhere possible (and not so possible) for the cat to hole up in.  I have never been so sure of something as I KNEW the cat was not in the house.  Miracle.  Prayer works.  No doubt.
View Quote

Glad she came out of hiding.  I find it best to get them an obnoxious collar with a bell when you first get them.  That way, no matter what, you run a good chance of finding them if they're still in the house.  My wife and I just adopted two new kittens that were abandoned in our neighborhood.  Bo and Forest both got belled collars and we were always able to find them, even when one got trapped behind the droors in the bathroom.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 12:03:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Good idea about the collar and bell but make sure the collar is one that she can get out of if she absolutely has to. I like the ones with a short section of elastic sewn into them so they give a little.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top