Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/5/2001 11:29:44 AM EDT
I just started jogging.  I'm working to get up to 3 miles at about 9 minutes a mile as a short term goal.  

Will jogging everyday build me up any faster than going every other day?  Can jogging everyday be a detrement to the body?

Anyone have any tips from their routine to share? Thanks...  
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 11:45:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 11:50:35 AM EDT
[#2]
if you must, wear good shoes and run on the dirt or grass, not pavement. asphalt is softer than concrete, but not by much.
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 12:03:14 PM EDT
[#3]
What are your goals - endurance, speed, or cardio vascular?
9 minute a mile pace is respectable for a beginner.  Unless you’re training for a race or a marathon, it’s a good practice to give yourself a day’s rest in between for recovery.  Built you stamina and condition your body little at a time.  Pushing yourself too soon too fast will NOT bring quicker result and may even lead to injuries.  Most importantly, listen to your body.  Stop running if you experience discomfort.  
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 12:03:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I ran cross country & track in HS & college.

Also ran a lot after I graduated.  Running increases the shock on your knees by 3x & [b]good[/b] running shoes will absorb 80% of the shock, so don't skimp on shoes. I really like New Balance because of the various width sizes they have. Pick up a good running mag & read up on the better brands & models than try some on for comfort.

After you are comfortable with your distance running every day won't help & unless training for marathons, extending the distance past 5-8 miles a day won't do much for ya.  Mixing something else on alternating days should be better for you. Most good aerobics programs only call for raising your heart rate to a target level for 20 minutes a day 4-5 days a week. That won't work off much weight unless you really watch food intake but will help your heart.

I turned to more swimming as I got older & then mixed it with the running.  Run one day, swim next, both the following day & then a day off. Start the cycle over. I was training for triathalons then but always found the bicycling too boring!  I found discipline is best, fix a schedule for training & try your best to allow nothing to interfer.  Let others know it is important to you & not flexible. They will get to know and most will understand.  After a while you will be addicted to the endorphine rush & it will remind you if you forget to workout.

After the floods along MS river in 93 I slowly developed some crud in my lungs, acts like exercise induced athsma but the local docs & the ones at Mayo Clinic in MN can't find the problem. A real pain in the ass.[:(!] Now I can hardly work out at all after 20+ years!

Link Posted: 12/5/2001 12:16:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Speaking of runners...

Many of the runners/joggers I've seen will, invariably, wear multiple layers of sweats in the summer, and shorts/t-shirt in the winter.

Is it masochism (other than that associated with running in general) or is it something else?

Link Posted: 12/5/2001 12:16:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Basically you have to do what your body tells you.  If you are hurt, then rest.  If you are just starting out, try every other day.
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 12:17:05 PM EDT
[#7]
If you are just beginning to run but are in good shape you probably won't have any problems after the initial shock.  Take it easy at first and don't push yourself to far all at once.  Depending on your age/weight/health/normal activity level, you should develop a routine that enables you to challenge your mind and body but not cause harm.  If you run and have severe muscle or joint pains you're overdoing it.  Always warm up before and stretch after a workout.  A small amount of soreness after workouts is normal but if you are in pain you need to cut back.  It's never a bad idea to talk to your doctor about your exercise routine.  

My routine (I'm male, 25, 6'2", 200lbs, and fit/active):
Sunday - Usually a complete rest or easy hike with the wife
Monday - Run 2 miles (15min30sec) + Upper body weights + Ab/Back routine
Tuesday - Lower body weights + Ab/Back routine
Wednesday - Run 2 miles + Upper body Weights + Ab/Back routine
Thursday - Outdoor run in hilly/sandy/muddy terrain 5 miles (55min) + Much stretching
Friday - Upper body Weights + Ab/back routine
Saturday - Run 2 miles (try to lower time) + Stretching + Ab/back + Any muscle specific resistance training that I think will help.

This is my 'standard' exercise routine but it varies depending on my weekly work/school/study/family schedule.  I also do other cardio work during the week [;)]  I run 4 times per week.  I like to hike/camp a lot so if I know that I am going out, I'll reduce my exercise routine the week before the trip.
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 7:20:20 PM EDT
[#8]
You might want to try running for time instead of distance.  Try jogging at a slow pace for 15 minutes (or more if you feel comfortable).  Gradually increase your running time, but maintain your pace.  After a period of time, increase you're pace for the same route you've been running.  Example: for a week you run at a comfortable pace for 30 minutes. Now go and run the same 30 min run "faster" and see how much time you can shave off.  Now go and increase you timed run (instead of 30 min., say now 40 min.), but still at you're "comfortable pace".  Another step to try is to run a timed distance one way, and then to decrease you're time "on you're way back" Example: running 20 minutes away from you house, then "backtrack", trying to get back in less then the 20 minutes it took you to get to you're "halfway point" (of course take hills into account).
The most important aspect of running is to enjoy it.  Running is all mental (excluding injuries of course).  Run most of you're routes in loops, backtracking can get monotonous.  Really try to enjoy it, because if you can't, every minute can be "hell".  As mentioned before, listen to you're body as well.  You're knees and joints will take an incredible pounding (get good running shoes).  As for clothing, the less you can wear and stay comfortable, the better (10 degrees outside I'll wear shorts, short sleeve coolmax shirt and a goretex jacket, maybe a hat if it's windy) Remember, you're body will be putting out a lot of heat after just 10 minutes of running).  I could be wrong, but luker could be wrong.  I thought the only time I had a problem running the doctor informed that I had shin splints, and I thought he (doctor) informed me that it was from running on some grass fields (soft surfaces was the cause) I could be wrong (over 18 years ago).
Fatman, wearing heavy clothing in summer months is just plain stupid in my opinion.  I think the feeling is you sweat more, thus you'll loose more weight (not too healthy).  I used to live in upstate N.Y, and when I ran up there, it was shorts and a Goretex coat.  Remember, in only 15 minutes of running, you're body puts out an incredible amount of heat.  The key is not to let you're body sweat evaporate to quick when it hits the air (thus with goretex coat acting as a windbreaker, you really do stay warm, also remember that most of you're body heat is lost from the head and upper body, so if you had a wool cap on, you'd stay even warmer).
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 7:23:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Basically you have to do what your body tells you.  If you are hurt, then rest.  If you are just starting out, try every other day.
View Quote

Nail.

Head.

A relative of mine runs quite a bit...ok, that's an understatement, he's up to about 350k lifetime miles now and his character appeared in the movie "On the Edge" (movie wasn't that great).  Anyway...he's really into the quality of shoes that absorb the impact.
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 7:25:42 PM EDT
[#10]
You don't get stronger training, you get stronger resting.  Take at least one day off a week.  Go easy several days and wring it out one or two days a week followed by a rest day.  For normal days, you are pacing yourself well if you could carry a normal conversation.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top