Site Notices
Posted: 12/4/2001 5:08:12 PM EDT
10:00PM EST on the History Channel.
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 5:09:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Why the hell would they show that?
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 5:13:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks like its about military training, and places like Front Sight.
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 7:26:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Damn it! I missed it. I think I'll have to order the VHS.
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 7:58:57 PM EDT
[#4]
That was a good show.
It will be back on in three hours.
cpermd
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 9:15:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Yep, on again at 0100 Central!

Firing Ranges

Discover how military and police personnel, as well as private citizens, hone their shooting skills with one of the oldest of training techniques when we review the history of firing ranges--from a simple knot on a tree, old bottles, rusted tin cans, and highway signs to high-tech targets and advances in weaponry.

Sounds kinda cool. Going to bed. Gonna tape it. Thanks for the heads up!
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 7:55:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Good show, but did they have to make it sound like shooting ranges are so dangerous?  They talk about going downrange to change targets like that is the root of all evil.  Pulley-system target carriers were built so you could keep the line hot and allow people to change targets without bothering the other shooters.  The biggest threat on an indoor range is poor ventilation, not bullets coming directly back at the shooter after hitting an angled plate.

They also criticized the "pits" in highpower as being dangerous and "outdated".  Meanwhile, that kind of range is still the most common in highpower and accidents are very rare.  It's like a few anti-gunners just couldn't help but include the danger aspect somehow.

Plus, since when is a nuclear weapons test conducted on a "firing range".  The last half of the show was about gunnery ranges, not firing ranges.  I wish they had shown more about the pop-up targets and simulation environments instead.

Oh well...
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 8:39:31 AM EDT
[#7]
I sort of liked the stuff they do at China Lake...
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 4:58:24 AM EDT
[#8]
I noticed they mentioned Police training alot but failed to mention that the NRA helps train many Cops  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top