Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/2/2001 1:54:14 PM EDT
Are there any manufactures out there still making chrome plated bolts and carrier assemblies?  I though Kinght's, Wilson, or Les Bear was making them, but I can't find info on them anywhere.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 1:57:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 2:07:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I know Knight's does.  I don't know if you can buy one without buying a complete rifle though.  Call Brian Fromang of KAC and ask, (561)-778-3700.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 2:10:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I have heard that premature upper wear is an issue with these. Is that true?
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 2:18:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't know about premature wear to other components, however, I have heard of the chrome plating flaking off.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 2:22:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I just think they look cool.  If they cost a whole lot more, then I don't really care for one.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 3:08:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Check out [url]http://www.Brownells.com[/url]. Personal $.02, avoid'em.  Chrome riding aluminum is just asking for trouble, and if chrome was so good on a bolt, ask yourself why Armalite and Bushmaster don't gots'em.  

The looks thing is a whole 'nuther story; 'specially if it gets the chicks.  In that case, you may want to consider a fluted stainless barrel as well to set off the chrome bolt.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 3:23:37 PM EDT
[#7]
When I was in the Army overseas, I was issued an M-16 that had a chrome bolt carrier..I guess the bolt was too. I don't remember...Were those bolts and carriers ok? Semms like all the aftermarket ones are put down as no good.  When did they switch from chrome, to the non-chrome we have today?
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 4:47:43 PM EDT
[#8]
While your at it why not cover that thing in some of that Rainbow tape,then hang some of those fuzzy little velvet balls from the forearm.Maybe some fuzzy dice from the front sight would be good too.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 5:28:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I don't know about premature wear to other components, however, I have heard of the chrome plating flaking off.
View Quote

I think you may have it wrong.  The reason why some of the chrome flakes off because that type of chroming is like for automobile bumpers maybe.  The hard-chroming for like rifle barrels etc is actually different type of electro-plating.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 8:35:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
While your at it why not cover that thing in some of that Rainbow tape,then hang some of those fuzzy little velvet balls from the forearm.Maybe some fuzzy dice from the front sight would be good too.
View Quote

I was initially thinking of hanging the dice from the front sight, but I don't think there's gonna be enough room when I mount the Chevy 454 big block on the Knight's RIS to cycle my trigger for full auto.  [BD]

With further R&D I think I might be able to make my M4gery four wheel drive.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 8:54:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Oly makes one,
[url]http://www.olyarms.com/usa.html[/url]

go to New Stuff and scroll to the bottom
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 9:00:49 PM EDT
[#12]
American Spirit Arms, in Scottsdale, AZ makes one, too. Saw 'em at the last gun show, definitely high on the cool looking factor.

[url]www.gunkits.com[/url]
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 4:32:36 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a chrome plated bolt and carrier in my ASA upper and a Young Natl. Match in my Metalcraft target rifle. Both are smoother than a baby's ass, if that means anything. Very easy to clean too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top