Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/2/2001 11:47:15 AM EDT
Last year when I was on my air cadets .22 rifle team I was helping a younger female cadet with her air rifle shooting.  Anyway she showed up every week for air rifle and she tries really hard.  I was the best shot in the .22 program but it was cancelled so I migrated over to the air rifle program.  This cadet was going to make the team this year since a spot opened at the end of last year.  Anyway I realized that if I continue to do well in air rifle this year she will be of the team.  I don't think this is fair since she showed up every time and I just now show up and get a spot simply because I am a natural shooter.  What do you guys think?  Should I drop out I mean I can shoot at home if I really want and besides I really don't like air rifle much.  Or is it just tough luck for her?  I would really hate to hurt her feelings since she is so nice and tries so hard while I can grab ahold of any rifle and shoot well.

Thanks for any advice.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 11:51:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Well, if it were me, I would graciouslly bow out.
after all you did say you really weren't that interested, Right? and she obviously is interested, and dedicated in the sport.

Thas' what I'd do.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 11:53:26 AM EDT
[#2]
What Ruckus said!
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 11:55:48 AM EDT
[#3]
give it to her. you might get some ass.

im kidding of course.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 11:56:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 12:02:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 12:03:47 PM EDT
[#6]
thanks for the advice guys.  I am leaning towards dropping out since when you're not on the team you don't shoot.  I can shoot at home while this is the only place she could shoot and I am not interested in getting any ass since she is 13 while I am 16.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 12:52:51 PM EDT
[#7]
btt,  any more input from anyone would be great.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 12:56:54 PM EDT
[#8]
If it were me I would drop out, but be around to help her out with her shooting skills.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 1:02:37 PM EDT
[#9]
See about getting a coaching position. Then you're not stepping "down" or "across", but upwards. This creates a spot to be filled by a dedicated up and coming shooter. Win/win.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 1:06:19 PM EDT
[#10]
All things considered, at least the information that you've offered.  I think that it would be the gentlemanly thing to bow out as already suggested.  I mean you aren't gung ho for it anyway, so why not let her continue to go on with the program.  She may get better and better, and as said more women involved in shooting is a very good thing...plus it'll make you feel warm and fuzzy [:D]
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 1:06:56 PM EDT
[#11]
the coach one is a no-go.  While I was best at .22 I am not at air rifle.  The team captain is two ranks and years ahead of me and a better shot(at air rifle anyway).
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 1:45:35 PM EDT
[#12]
I would quit. I mean, who really wants to shoot an air rifle anyways? Let the girl have the spot.

Michael
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 1:50:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for all the advice.  I think I will slowly pull myself out of the air rifle scene.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 1:50:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Let the girl have it. [:)]
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 1:58:08 PM EDT
[#15]
I think, bow out. Like you and others have said, you aren't that interested in air rifle!

Also giveN that she is 13 years old, if she get's bumped off the team, she may lose all interest in shooting.

You might want to ask her to come over shooting at your place. Coach her and keep her interest in the shooting sports going strong!
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 2:08:40 PM EDT
[#16]
No matter what you decide, The fact is you stopped thinking about yourself long enough to consider the feelings of someone else.

Your parents did a good job.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 2:22:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Stay in man,she was there every day and she will still be there untill her day comes.

DON'T step on her DON'T talk crap but do take your due if it comes your way,she willl get there if she really wants it.

I had to deal with something like this once,I wanted on the football tam and there was a guy that worked to get on for two years and I got it the first year.
He said he should get the spot and should be able to play in all the big games(what we saw as big in high school)
That made me think,I took to spot cuz I was wanted to play and he wanted to show his a$$.

If she is there to shoot she will shoot team or no team,and people like that don't get passed up for long.

BTW: still be cool about it and stay friends.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 3:07:49 PM EDT
[#18]
What does she look like?

I'm with big bore.  It's fake if you give it to her.

Would you want accolades you didn't deserve?

Link Posted: 12/2/2001 3:12:46 PM EDT
[#19]
You're thinkin' with the wrong head again.  If it was a guy, would you be so chivalrous and concerned?  

The team is there to compete.  If you want to compete, and you beat someone else out, tough titties for them and good for the team.  Maybe you should just go up to the team cap'n and say,"Coach, I'm a better shooter than this chick cadet, but she's tried [i]really[/i]hard so maybe she deserves it more" and watch the veins rise in his neck.  

You might actually be doing air cadet a favor.  Don't cut her any slack.

shooter
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 3:24:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 3:35:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Have you considered talking to her about it?  Ask her just how serious she is about shooting.

Oh BTW where does your wing shoot?

We just had 28 Air Cadets out at our club.  They use our range all the time.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 4:29:58 AM EDT
[#22]
What Ruckus said.

Bow out of air rifle, and get into real shooting like in .223 or .308 then later ask that girl if she want to joint in.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 11:40:09 AM EDT
[#23]
I have to consider that this is the only oppurtunity she has to shoot at all.  I mean have guns and a large property to use them on.  I think I should let her have it so she doesn't lose interest cuz that would be a shame.
She is too nice to ever ask me to drop out but I think it would the right thing to do.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 11:57:54 AM EDT
[#24]
IF you are gonna stay in air rifle, and compete to teh best of you ability, and you are committed to a FULL season.

STAY IN. Is she REALLY benefitted from gettin a spot she DOES NOT deserve??? What will give her the better life lesson - getting a spot she doesn't deserve, or learning to practice harder and EARN it next year?? (Think "gov't welfare program" here)

If you aren't gonna commit to a whole season, then don't compete at all, and she will then have EARNED the spot.

I'm just glad to see you care about doing the right thing.

Link Posted: 12/3/2001 12:01:46 PM EDT
[#25]
I'll also say I like JohnnyGT's idea.

See above.

Link Posted: 12/3/2001 12:04:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Is she hot? (I can't believe I'm the first one to ask this).

BTW, since you said don't like airguns to begin with, I'd bow out. Maybe a another spot will open up later or next year.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 12:07:28 PM EDT
[#27]
What are the criteria for making the team?  Just showing up & pulling the trigger?  Or does include the results (scores)?   If she improves enough to outshoot you, will she step aside for you?  

What if she improves enough to outshoot the next person up?  That might be a "best of both worlds" solution.  If you can coach her enough to move up a couple of spots, maybe she can make the team on her own.  
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 4:01:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Thanks alot guys for all the advice.  This is somewhat of a hard decision to make.  The main reason I think she deserves the spot more than me is because I just showed up now and basically replaced her with no warning.  I would feel really badly if I caused her to lose interest in shooting.  While she isn't the best shooter she has improved greatly in the last year.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 5:46:40 PM EDT
[#29]
If you were really excited about Air Rifle, I'd say stay in.  But it really doesn't sound like you care all that much about the class, and that means you're a "ringer" that will bump out another shooter who really really wants that spot on the team.  Taking this girl's spot would be a crappy thing to do.

Also, you keep talking about how nice this girl is, but then you deny any interest because she's 3 years younger.  Yeah, but when you're 20 and she's 17 you'll sing a different tune.  [:D]

My advice - tell the team that you really like .22s and let the girl have the spot.  Then invite her out to your house to practice and give her some pointers.  In a couple of years you may find you have a perfect shooting buddy.  [;)]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top