Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/1/2001 8:22:48 AM EDT
I just lost a life-long friend.  He joined the Navy during Korea, and did more than his fair share to fight for the freedom of the Korean people.  I was there because I had to be.  He was there because he truly believe that anywhere people are fighting for freedom, we (the US) should be there too.  He was a member of the UDT.  I didn't understand what a big deal that was until many years after I found-out.  He mentioned it like it was nothing more important than stumping his toe.  Yes, he was modest.  After that, he was a law-enforcement officer here for over thirty years.  He fought hard against bad cops, and I saw him help several people that needed help with fighting back.  The "thin blue line" never existed for him.  He even, much to the consternation of many local officers, ran for sheriff here about eight years ago.  He spent much of the last 45 years of his life in pain.  He had painful kidney stones, it seemed, almost weekly.  He died from a degenerative brain disease that the doctors think was caused from decades of taking strong pain medication.  He is survived by his wife, two daughters, two grandchildren, and hundreds that will miss him.

It's another good guy gone.  I mean no offense to you "youn'ins," but at the rate we're losing good guys, like Steve-in-VA's father, how can the world become a better place?z
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 9:08:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Very sorry to hear about your loss. His family will be in my Prayers. Take care.
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 9:12:35 AM EDT
[#2]
I, too, am sorry to hear of the loss of your friend. I shall pray for his family also.
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 9:14:59 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't think you have to worry about good men coming up. A whole new generation is in Afghanistan as we speak. Out of that mess I am sure some exceptional men will develop.
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 9:16:15 AM EDT
[#4]
zoom, those guys from Korea are getting to that age where health problems are taking many including your friend.  Most of the higher ranking officers already gone.  My father, who served during this same time period is certainly not getting any younger or more active.

Pretty soon we won't even be talking about WWII vets, because there won't be any.  Pearl Harbor 60 years ago; amazing how time flies.  Korean war era vets not far behind unfortunately.

My sympathies on the loss of your friend, an american who had a positive purpose in life.
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 5:10:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Condolences and a final salute to your friend.

As to how will the world get better because these guys are gone, just think of the family and friends they have taught and trained.  They just made us all stronger.

SRM
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 5:20:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Sorry for your loss, zoom.  And you're right, we're losing too many of the good guys...

Link Posted: 12/1/2001 5:32:38 PM EDT
[#7]
zoom, my sorrows and prayers go to you and his family.

You should feel privliged knowing someone like that!.............Wish I did
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 5:39:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Zoom, I was too young for the Korean era but not for the Vietnam time.
I believe as the ad says "Each generation has its' hero's."
Very sorry about our loss.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top