Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/1/2001 6:21:39 AM EDT
I went with my wife and a few friends last night to see "Behind Enemy Lines" at the theatre.  I thought it was an excellent movie and well worth the money.
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 11:22:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Good,  I was hoping that they didn't screw up that movie.  It looked good in the trailer...

Now let's cross our fingers on Blackhawk Down.
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 11:45:50 AM EDT
[#2]
schapman43,

Did you think the ending was too much?  That's the only negative thing I've heard about that movie, but it looks kick-ass.
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 12:32:47 PM EDT
[#3]
[size=6]WARNING WARNING[/SIZE=6]

THE FOLLOWING POST MIGHT GIVE AWAY THE WHOLE F*(&NG MOVIE!!  READ AT YOUR OWN PERIL.  then go see the movie:

I went to see Behind Enemy Lines last night.  Pretty kick ass movie all in all!  I didn't like the bouncy ass photography in some scenes.
And the final scene?  30some odd serbs blasting away at one man probably not more than 100 yards away, and NOONE hits him??  hehehe  Still a great movie IMHO.
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 1:03:09 PM EDT
[#4]
um, couldja NOT give away the ending?[;D]
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 1:06:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 3:49:18 PM EDT
[#6]
I saw it today, not bad, worth the bucks spent. The bouncy scenes bothered me too.
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 4:05:28 PM EDT
[#7]
I like the stop motion slow camera work.  The movie was better than any movie hear of late.  I hope it is a warm up for BHD.  and BTW the serbs did have AK's (hehe someone was going to say it)

Link Posted: 12/1/2001 4:19:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I went to see Behind Enemy Lines last night.  Pretty kick ass movie all in all!  I didn't like the bouncy ass photography in some scenes.
And the final scene is improbable,  hehehe  Still a great movie IMHO.
View Quote

I'll Echo GUNBERT.

Why don't you use your brain and edit your post.
If your unable to come up with your own, feel free to use mine.
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 4:21:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
And the final scene is improbable,  hehehe  Still a great movie IMHO.
View Quote

I'll Echo GUNBERT.

Why don't you use your brain and edit your post.
If your unable to come up with your own, feel free to use mine.
View Quote

If you've seen the previews, you've seen what I'm talkin about.  Get your panties out of the bunch you got them in and go see the movie.  I didn't give away shit.  

(edited to add) and the insults are not neccessary.  Rudeness is a weak man's imitation of strength.  
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 4:23:15 PM EDT
[#10]
wait... ok... I'll edit my post...
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 4:32:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Yeah! The movie would have been great...If it didn't suck so bad! The director of that movie should be shot. Shit ass fad camera work, HORRIBLE soundtrack, and for the love of all that is holy make that Owen guy get a damn nosejob!

When Hackman goes to say something important...wham, close in with camera, then... DUM DUM DUM "he's got something important to say" music. Geez.

Great premise but John Woo might as well have directed it.
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 4:36:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
[size=6]WARNING WARNING[/SIZE=6]

THE FOLLOWING POST MIGHT GIVE AWAY THE WHOLE F*(&NG MOVIE!!  READ AT YOUR OWN PERIL.  then go see the movie:

And the final scene?  30some odd serbs blasting away at one man probably not more than 100 yards away, and NOONE hits him??  hehehe  Still a great movie IMHO.
View Quote

It's believable.  

They were AKs.
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 4:46:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Is this the story of the rescue of Scott O'Grady
as he described it in his book "Good to Go"
The book was very good; it described his rescue
after being downed over Bosnia.
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 5:38:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Just got back from seeing it.  I agree that the camera work is annoying but be prepared.  I think post matrix every filmaker is gonna try to do crap like that to be more "extreme".  It is MTV culture at its worst.  But the movie wasn't that bad.  I mean its what you expect going into a hollywood war movie.  Hopefully BHD will be more realistic.  

Before the previews, when they flash up trivia and crap there was a screen that said "who is your favorite war hero, Tom Hanks or Ben Affleck?" How times change.
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 5:48:12 PM EDT
[#15]
remember the chuck norris 'nam flicks? yeah, OK.

Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 7:31:21 PM EDT
[#16]
I just got home from seeing it.

I think the bouncy camera thing can work to help create confusion during "the mad minute"  but the director used it too much, too often.

I thought some of the AK's looked more like CZ's. I'm certainly no where near an expert but I thought some of the rifles didn't look quite right for AK's.
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 7:48:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Personally, I didn't think the trailers even looked that great. Looks like another hollywood formula movie to me.

And to be honest with you, I don't think I could stand looking at that dudes face for an entire movie. I don't know what it is about him, but his face just gets on MY FUCKING NERVES!
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 8:07:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Did they do the part where O'Grady got his pistol knocked outta his hand by the crew chief of the '53? Or show the Sgt Maj picking up one of the rounds that struck the helo??
If not, it isn't realistic enough.

(Amazing what you know when you were on the deployment!!)

[smoke]
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 8:43:30 PM EDT
[#19]
It rates a 5 out of 10.
Formulaic at best with typical caricatures.
Owen Wilson, downed navigator Burnett, was pretty funny and did a great job.
Hackman was just that, a hack. Same character as in previous movies. I think these guys watch old movies and try to imitate what they perceive is the way real people are like.
Hence the sameness of many of these characters.

oh, I forgot.
The one good thing was being able to see the Blackhawk Down trailer and movie poster.

Rudeness, you weren't referring to me.
But if you were,  I'm sorry your skin is so thin and I apologize.
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 9:24:33 PM EDT
[#20]
I thought it was a good movie.  I'd see it again.  Besides, who actually knows what it would be like to get shot down?  I thought it was realistic enough, except for one particular sequence...but like mentioned above, they were AK's, and gatling guns would throw my aim off pretty bad too...

Other than that one part, I thought it was very good.  It kept my full attention the whole time.  Even if there were things to "complain" about, the fact that I didnt even get up to refill my damn popcorn is proof enough that [to me] was a good damn movie.

Lets face it.  If they made movies about war that were that realistic, how many people would actually WANT to see them?  Nobody would want to go to a movie and see a whole bunch of american soldiers get taken out and end up losing the battle.  Movies are made for entertainment, so treat them as such.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 12:04:08 AM EDT
[#21]
It's not about the O'Grady shootdown.  Not even close.

The director saw Saving Private Ryan too many times.  The ryan camera work looked like combat camera filming.  The Behind Enemy Lines camera work looked like it was done by someone with Parkinsons.

Most of the "Serb" rifles were Czech Model 58 and 58P 7.62x39mm assault rifles, with some AKMs and AK47s thrown in.

The ground action scenes were filmed in the Czech Republic.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 12:02:25 PM EDT
[#22]
I saw it Friday. Yeah, some parts weren't realistic, but it was a great action flick nonetheless. And it could have been worse: they could of had some BS love story in there.
Oh, the bouncy scenes bothered me too.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 5:14:38 PM EDT
[#23]
OT: Capt. O'Grady today sits on the Board of Directors for the NRA. HE'S ONE OF US!
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 6:05:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Ebert and Roper laughed pretty hard at how cliche of a war movie this was; Owen Wilson's character always in the open getting shot at and never hit while all his shots at bad guys never miss. The hero of the movie (Wilson) crossing big fields, shilouetted against open skies on top of mountain while supposedly in hiding, changing into bad guy clothes and being disguised, etc.

Too bad, now it's a marginal choice as a video rental in my book. I can't tolerate dumb action war movies. I like realism and technical excellence.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 6:20:46 PM EDT
[#25]
It was a very entertaining movie, I enjoyed it.  Owen Wilson pulled off his part very well.  And tell me, just who the hell CARES what that fat moron Ebert says about a movie?
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 6:28:55 PM EDT
[#26]
It was a good flick.

The most moving part was when the previews for Black Hawk Down came on.

I was with my son and I got choked up trying to tell him that this movie was a true story.

He asked me why I was crying.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 6:30:10 PM EDT
[#27]
I saw this movie last night. I thought it was very well done. I doubt it was technically perfect, but I didn't see anything I considered glaring errors. As far as Hollywood goes, this is about as good as it gets.

Yeah, the main character has some script immunity, but it'd be a damn short movie if he didn't. I really only thought the time the "sniper" missed him when he was sitting out in the open was a little too unbelievable, but I guess the guy could have misjudged the distance. The other couple of times he was either out there a ways and moving with a lot of motivation or had "distractions" to aid him. I can see troops possibly missing him under these conditions. He would be one lucky SOB, but I suppose it COULD happen.

I have no regrets about seeing it. I was well entertained...

Link Posted: 12/2/2001 7:29:45 PM EDT
[#28]
And, who the hell cares what anybody says about a movie whether they're fat or not.

We're all here to express our opinions, that's all.

If you were entertained, great. Usually, I want more for my seven dollars. Rarely am I entertained for more than two dollars worth, the price of a cheap video rental.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 7:50:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
And, who the hell cares what anybody says about a movie whether they're fat or not.

We're all here to express our opinions, that's all.
View Quote

So, you've somehow taken my comment about my disdain for Ebert's opinions on movies as a personal attack on you?  Is that it?
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 8:17:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Rikwriter,

No, obviously I did not.

You said,"And tell me, just who the hell CARES what that fat moron Ebert says about a movie?"

I just don't see what being fat has to do with reviewing movies. I saw it as an ignorant statement on your part. That's all.

Ebert is not a moron either, that's a personal attack made by you and doesn't involve me.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 8:34:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Rikwriter,

No, obviously I did not.
View Quote

Well, just as obviously you did, otherwise you wouldn't have bothered to reply to it.

I just don't see what being fat has to do with reviewing movies. I saw it as an ignorant statement on your part. That's all.
View Quote

And your judgement of the intelligence of my statement is more valid than my judgement of Ebert's review in what way, exactly?

Ebert is not a moron either, that's a personal attack made by you and doesn't involve me.
View Quote

Yet you took it upon yourself to answer in his defense, so quite obviously it does involve you...as you've involved yourself in it.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 8:39:59 PM EDT
[#32]
WHATEVER.

Roger that, over and out.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 8:56:15 PM EDT
[#33]
I liked it, though they did overuse the jerky movement stuff. Yeah, a lot of stuff was damn unlikely, but it didn't bother me too much.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top