Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/30/2001 6:19:17 AM EDT
I understand that this may be a crazy question to ask but I am mixed up and could use some advice.
I recently put my house up for sale and received several offers. I was asking $ 159,900 for the house and the best of six offers I have received is $159,000. the other five offers are within $1000 of the best offer.
My question is I told the realtor to counter offer; full price plus half MY closing costs and to tell the interested parties that all offers are almost at maximum. He told me that telling his clents what the other offers are is un-ethical.  I do not understand why? How will the other buyers who have qiven me lower offers know what the best offer they are bidding against is?
Any help is appreciated!!!
NM
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 6:34:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

He told me that telling his clents what the other offers are is un-ethical.  I do not understand why? How will the other buyers who have qiven me lower offers know what the best offer they are bidding against is?
Any help is appreciated!!!
NM
View Quote

Your realtor is right.

And in reality, hes acting in your best interest. You have the best posible scenario going in selling real estate - a bidding war. By them NOT knowing what others are bidding, ONE OF THEM who REALLY wants the house is gonna throw out a REAL high number, probably more than you even would have asked for.

Be patient, and hang on for the ride.

Best,
g-man
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 6:39:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Thank you G-man. Everything happened so fast that I was caught by surprise. The unethical remark stumped me and I was not sure if it was to my detriment or benefit.
I feel better now. [bounce]

NM
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top