Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/30/2001 4:15:09 AM EDT
First let me send my condolances out to the ones who are rightfully grieved by the too soon death of "The Quiet Beatle" - his family and close friends. They have been robbed of what likely would have been his greatest years - those of old age, where he could impart his wisdom to them. Harrison died of cancer, but took responsibility for his actions, and ADMITTED that his OWN smoking casued his own illness. I respect that. But these weak-minded groupies that put flowers outside his house and wail and moan make me irate. They didn't know the man, never met him. what's the cause of their grief?? Don't they have loved ones of their own they should be showing kindness to rather than wailing outside the house of a stranger??? Same thing with pricess Di. And the young Kennedy and Carolyn Bessette. Tragic, for sure. But these groupies need to get a life. I know - I'm heartless.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 4:21:03 AM EDT
Does this mean that, if I die, you'll say the same thing about my fans?
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 4:27:44 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Golgo-13: Does this mean that, if I die, you'll say the same thing about my fans?
View Quote
You have fans?? OTHER THAN me, I mean???? [:D]
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 4:29:24 AM EDT
garandman... i totally agree with you. I wonder about the mental stability of these fan(atic)s.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 4:33:04 AM EDT
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 4:39:28 AM EDT
When Yasser Arafat dies, will Ringo Starr have to hold a press conference to prove that he's still alive?
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 4:42:10 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Maynard: I will admit I was saddened by John Wayne's death.
View Quote
Saddened, sure, me too. But did you go sit outside his house in the rain, , throwing flowers, lighting a candle, wailing and moaning?? I doubt it. It is THOSE types of idiots, so controlled by pop culture and emotion, that are the PRIME targets of the gun controllers to get to vote against my Second Amendment freedoms.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 4:43:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/30/2001 4:36:01 AM EDT by Coz_45-age-caliber]
Garandman, Though I won't be putting flowers out or lighting candles, I feel a part of my youth has disappeared, just as I did when Lennon was killed. (How did the guy empty the damn gun and miss that frickin Yoko bitch?) Whether you love em or loathe em the Beatles brought about a change in our society, especially those of us that were of "that generation" and needed something to grasp on to. I for one had a tear in my eye at the news.... To quote " George died aware of God, fearless of death, and at peace. His wife and child were by his side" May he rest in peace [:|]
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 4:44:08 AM EDT
two down two to go. as jim morrison said, "nobody gets out alive". i'm playing the White Album right now. great music.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 4:48:10 AM EDT
Thanks for the post G-man...and no, you`re not heartless.........I clearly remember when Jerry Garcia passed....(quite a few dead heads around here)...and what a terrible-sad..day it was.......all I could think of was...."hope he`s greatful now!"............[>(]
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 4:52:13 AM EDT
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 4:57:51 AM EDT
Same thing with pricess Di. And the young Kennedy and Carolyn Bessette. Tragic, for sure
View Quote
There is nothing tragic about a dead Kennedy. Or about any liberal enemy of our country, for that matter.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 5:02:14 AM EDT
Garandman, I was living in Central Florida when Dale Earndhart died. I had been to the Daytona Speedway a number of times and I had seen him race. Myself and every racing fan felt great sadness (I cried) when he passed away. I would not and do not blame anybody who made a makeshift memorial. If that is their way of greiving and they are not hurting anyone. Then so be it. We had a student my Junior Year of High School that was killed in an accident. She was a very sweet girl. The teacher in the class we had together decided to not assign anybody her seat ever again. I have no problem with that. Let them be, let them grieve. The grieving will pass and it will be forgotten.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 5:02:34 AM EDT
How did this become a thread in which we decided that all Beatle fans are anti - gun? Harrison at least had the balls to fight off a guy who broke into his home and stabbed him several times. I happen to be a huge Beatle fan and am obviously pro-gun..... Fuck it, I'm just gonna drink heavily tonight and toast George, I could give a shit what anyone else thinks...
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 5:16:06 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Coz_45-age-caliber: I for one had a tear in my eye at the news.... To quote " George died aware of God, fearless of death, and at peace.
View Quote
His God: [img]http://www.historywiz.com/images/religion/krishna.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 5:19:01 AM EDT
Originally Posted By garandman:
Originally Posted By I_am_Sancho:
Originally Posted By garandman: I know - I'm heartless.
View Quote
YES, you ARE. You see this has affected me personally, Now I have to get used to telling my joke differently. What's the best way to re-unite the Beatles? TWO more Bullets!
View Quote
OUCH, man. I don't like the Beatles, but that's cold !!!!!! [}:D]
View Quote
but what happend to it? it's gone now, Harrison's spirit in ar15.com server?
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 5:20:24 AM EDT
Long time Beatles fan myself, Harrison wrote some of my favorite songs... Lennon I didn't care for. Harrison wasn't 'just' some celebrity to me, his words and music have been a part of my whole life. So yeah, I'm sad. But I'm sure as hell not gonna lay flowers all over his picture, light candles and wail. Those candlelight vigil types make me wanna hurl.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 5:31:16 AM EDT
But these weak-minded groupies that put flowers outside his house and wail and moan make me irate. They didn't know the man, never met him. what's the cause of their grief?? Don't they have loved ones of their own they should be showing kindness to rather than wailing outside the house of a stranger??? Same thing with pricess Di. And the young Kennedy and Carolyn Bessette. Tragic, for sure. But these groupies need to get a life. I know - I'm heartless.
View Quote
There is nothing wrong of grieving for one dead...or anyone dead. We are human and we care.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 5:36:33 AM EDT
Originally Posted By AR_Rifle: There is nothing wrong of grieving for one dead...or anyone dead. We are human and we care.
View Quote
You are missing the point. No one is arguing against grieving. Do you read thru the obits, pick out some stranger, then go erect a memorial outside his house??? Well, to MOST of these folks, Harrison is NO more than some stranger from the obits. They are trying to add significance to their lives by a false sense of loss. That's all it is. Grief is natural, healthy and good. But save it for someone who DESERVES it - like a parent that wiped your snotty nose, and chapped rear end when you were a baby, and paid your way for 18+ years. Most REAL heros never make the evening news.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 5:59:32 AM EDT
Originally Posted By garandman: ... Well, to MOST of these folks, Harrison is NO more than some stranger from the obits. They are trying to add significance to their lives by a false sense of loss. That's all it is. ...
View Quote
I certainly agree with that, Garandman. But the few hours of grief I will indulge in today are legitimate. Having George Harrison die reminds me of my own progressing age and mortality. 58 years old!!! I'm planning to refinance my house in the next few months with a 15-year mortgage so I'll have it paid off at that age. I plan for 58 to be the beginning of a better life. I'm thinking about ALL the friends and relatives I've lost to cancer. MOST people who can't even tell you who the Beatles were or why they were important in their time. They're too young to remember! That's not their fault, but instead of pretending they've had some great personal loss they ought to be asking the rest of us about what it was like to hear the Beatles when we were younger. I never met George Harrison but I've known who he was since 1964, and his music has moved me on countless occasions. I'm not going to call in sick at work and claim bereavement time. I'm not going to close the curtains, play the White Album, and get drunk until I laugh and cry myself silly. It's tempting, but I've got to get over this and on with my life.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 6:08:22 AM EDT
Originally Posted By garandman: But these weak-minded groupies that put flowers outside his house and wail and moan make me irate. They didn't know the man, never met him. what's the cause of their grief?? Don't they have loved ones of their own they should be showing kindness to rather than wailing outside the house of a stranger???
View Quote
Same thing could be said about bible thumpers every Easter.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 6:09:13 AM EDT
"give me peace give me love!" [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 6:09:25 AM EDT
Originally Posted By California_Kid: I'm not going to close the curtains, play the White Album, and get drunk until I laugh and cry myself silly. It's tempting, but I've got to get over this and on with my life.
View Quote
get drunk? i KNEW i was forgeting something! sort of funny how important this issue seems to be to some here. death in general is saddening (except maybe osama's). move on, nothing to see here.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 6:13:02 AM EDT
"Get a Life"? - would that include spending all your free time on this board, complaining about every dang thing you don't like, while preaching "Christian" values?
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 6:13:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/30/2001 6:09:54 AM EDT by AR_Rifle]
Do you read thru the obits, pick out some stranger, then go erect a memorial outside his house??? Well, to MOST of these folks, Harrison is NO more than some stranger from the obits. They are trying to add significance to their lives by a false sense of loss. That's all it is. I never actually went to kindergarten, at least until now.
View Quote
Harrison is no stranger.....and you can go back to kindergarten. And then again, there is nothing wrong to grieve for a stranger either. I grieve for the lost of life in the 9-11 attack, strangers whom I never met and I am sure that they will erect a memorial for these lost of life.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 6:14:05 AM EDT
Originally Posted By AR_Rifle: Harrison is no stranger
View Quote
Really? I didn't realize you knew him well. My apologies, and condolances for your loss. Please tell us all about your close relationship with Harrison. What is Harrison REALLY like? We always get these false impressions from those groupies who CLAIM they know him and all. So I guess you can clear all that up for us, since he's "no stranger" to you. [}:D] Busting your chops man.
.....and you can go back to kindergarten. .
View Quote
Uhhh, a CAREFUL reading of my tag line will reveal I've never been to kindergarten. So regretfully, I am unable to fulfill your request, as I cannot return to somewhere I have never been. [}:D] But bein' round here DOES help me get the whole "kindegarten experience" from time to time. Relax, man. Just giving ya a hard time. No intense offended...uhhh...offense inteneded.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 6:16:40 AM EDT
[sleep]
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 6:17:35 AM EDT
Originally Posted By garandman: First let me send my condolances out to the ones who are rightfully grieved by the too soon death of "The Quiet Beatle" - his family and close friends. They have been robbed of what likely would have been his greatest years - those of old age, where he could impart his wisdom to them. Harrison died of cancer, but took responsibility for his actions, and ADMITTED that his OWN smoking casued his own illness. I respect that. But these weak-minded groupies that put flowers outside his house and wail and moan make me irate. They didn't know the man, never met him. what's the cause of their grief?? Don't they have loved ones of their own they should be showing kindness to rather than wailing outside the house of a stranger??? Same thing with pricess Di. And the young Kennedy and Carolyn Bessette. Tragic, for sure. But these groupies need to get a life. I know - I'm heartless.
View Quote
How devilishly unchristian of you! Come to the dark side garandman.....I feel your soul slipping and your christian ideals weakening. Welcome!!!! [devil]
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 6:18:21 AM EDT
"...Hm, my lord (hare krishna) My, my, my lord (hare krishna) Oh hm, my sweet lord (krishna, krishna) Oh-uuh-uh (hare, hare)" [8P]
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 6:19:49 AM EDT
Originally Posted By kikomax:
Originally Posted By garandman: But these weak-minded groupies that put flowers outside his house and wail and moan make me irate. They didn't know the man, never met him. what's the cause of their grief?? Don't they have loved ones of their own they should be showing kindness to rather than wailing outside the house of a stranger???
View Quote
Same thing could be said about bible thumpers every Easter.
View Quote
What a great and all too obvious point....how could I have overlooked that one. At least George Harrison lived sometime in the LAST 2000 YEARS!!!
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 6:20:06 AM EDT
Originally Posted By garandman:
Originally Posted By AR_Rifle: There is nothing wrong of grieving for one dead...or anyone dead. We are human and we care.
View Quote
You are missing the point. No one is arguing against grieving. Do you read thru the obits, pick out some stranger, then go erect a memorial outside his house???
View Quote
When Osama Bin Laden dies, I will be the first to visit his collapsed cave site and go wee wee on it. Heck, I might even erect a pile of poo poo there too.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 6:23:26 AM EDT
Originally Posted By kikomax: Same thing could be said about bible thumpers every Easter.
View Quote
I know whatcha mean. I kinda got a problem with this ritualistic easter celebration many of my Christian brethern do. There's no Scriptural basis for it. In reality, Easter actually has a pagan origination, in that it was started by the Roman Catholic Church to counteract pagan events celebrating sexual fertility. So I don't really "get" the whole Easter / Christian thing.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 6:27:22 AM EDT
Originally Posted By DScott: "Get a Life"? - would that include spending all your free time on this board, complaining about every dang thing you don't like, while preaching "Christian" values?
View Quote
Ouch. [:D]
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 6:27:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/30/2001 6:21:01 AM EDT by fatty]
Originally Posted By garandman: I know whatcha mean. I kinda got a problem with this ritualistic easter celebration many of my Christian brethern do. There's no Scriptural basis for it.
View Quote
careful! you're starting to sound like a Jehova's Witness!
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 6:28:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/30/2001 6:20:43 AM EDT by Coz_45-age-caliber]
G-man, Us old farts that grew up with em are radical in our Beatle-grieving....it makes us feel we've lost a bit of our youth... I just love stir the shit....so... Easter? Didn't y'all hear? It will no longer be celebrated.... They found the body...... [devil]
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 6:41:07 AM EDT
G-man, I recall you overreacting to Rush Limbaugh losing his hearing. The Harrison fans are doing something of the same thing. It seams that its OK if it's your hero or favorite star.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 6:41:50 AM EDT
I was sorry to hear that George Harison died, and I'm sure the world has lost a icon of pop culture and music. Like some have already pointed out, a part of their youth has passed into history and it is a sad feeling. However, I am already tired of heraing "while my guitar gently weeps" on the morning tv shows and I will be completely tired of the radio dedications to him by the end of the weekend after they play all his songs into the earth.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 6:49:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/30/2001 6:43:48 AM EDT by garandman]
Originally Posted By Gun-fan: G-man, I recall you overreacting to Rush Limbaugh losing his hearing. The Harrison fans are doing something of the same thing. It seams that its OK if it's your hero or favorite star.
View Quote
Refresh my memory. Did I go to his house and erect a memorial?? Did I light a candle??? Did I sit in the rain and moan like a zombie??? Re-read my posts, and you'll see I said grieving is fine, but its the zombie mentality that gets me. Rush is my hero???? When did this happen??? Actually, my dad and a fella named Richard Stein are my heros. I doubt you've ever heard of Richard Stein. He's just a nobody, that played the guitar, and lived a godly example at a church i used to go to. Oh, he also jumped out of an airplane over France on D-Day +2, the second wave. Cool guy. Rush... he's OK, but hardly a "hero" of mine. I do immensely appreciate his stand for conservative values. Immensely. But he's no hero. And when he dies, it'll be but a passing memnt of sadness for me. The same passing moment I've encouraged Harrison fans to have. [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 6:57:42 AM EDT
This country is famous for idolizing the worst segment of it's society, the 'movie stars', the 'rock stars'. etc. On the other hand we also have little or no respect for law enforcement, teachers and others that are actually productive members of society.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 7:04:53 AM EDT
Last I heard it was OK in America to express yourself as you see fit- including all the above-described behavior. Seems silly to me, frankly, but what the hey! BTW, Eric Clapton played the lead solo on "While My Guitar Gently Weeps"... still one of the best solos anywhere, and proving once again that Clapton is god!
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 7:07:48 AM EDT
Originally Posted By ELEFTARIA: Christians celebrate the resurection because it is evidence that Christ rose and has defeated death. Whether some pagan ritual happened to coincide with the time of the resurection is irrelevent and should not be used to denigrate His victory over sin.
View Quote
Don't get me wrong my friend. I celebrate His resurrection EVERY Sunday morning. I use as a Scriptural support for this the text that says "Very early, the first day of the week..." Christ arose. To my reading, THAT is the Scriptural basis for a resurrection celebration - EVERY Sunday morning. But where's the Scriptural Authority for a specific "Easter" celebration?? Worse yet, "Easter egss" themselves are straight out of the pagan rituals, as a symbol of fertility. And NO - I am NOT a JW. [}:D]
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 7:12:24 AM EDT
Christmas is about toys, Easter is about eggs and candy. If you believe in your God you celebrate him and keep his precepts every moment of your life. Holidays are a completely separate thing. They are just days to have a good time and give the kids some stuff to make them smile.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 7:38:21 AM EDT
Who's this George Harrelson guy, and is he related to that dipshit Woody..? Sorry gents, but I'm a DOORS and KING CRIMSON fan! [:D]
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 7:41:12 AM EDT
I had a post on this topic...don't know where it went
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 8:14:34 AM EDT
Yeah, I know what you mean, garandman... I just couldn't believe all these mindless retards running around weeping, setting up makeshift memorials, donating money and blood, and all for a few people they never knew but who were unfortunate enough to have been in an office tower when an airplane struck it. What a pathetic crowd huh? By the way, what ever happened to sympathy and not judging others supposedly being traits of true followers of God?
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 8:26:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/30/2001 8:18:42 AM EDT by garandman]
Originally Posted By Boomer: Yeah, I know what you mean, garandman... I just couldn't believe all these mindless retards running around weeping, setting up makeshift memorials, donating money and blood, and all for a few people they never knew but who were unfortunate enough to have been in an office tower when an airplane struck it. What a pathetic crowd huh?
View Quote
If you equate a SELF-INFLICTED cancer death (by harrisons own admission) with the murder of 4,000+ by flying a fuel-laden airplane into a building full of people, then alls I can say to you is "Whatever, dude...." And those who reacted to the 9/11 tragedy did so by HELPING their fellow man by giving blood, water, transport to hospitals, and running into a burning building when everyone else was running out. Again, if you can equate THAT to sitting outside Harrisons house, in the rain, moaning like a zombie (which any IDIOT could tell are the people I am criticizing) , then again I say "Whatever, dude..."
By the way, what ever happened to sympathy and not judging others supposedly being traits of true followers of God?
View Quote
Get me a Scripture reference for that, and then we'll debate the point. But I'm not gonna bother debating your delusions about what you THINK the Bible says, ESPECIALLY when (if memory serves) you think the Bible is a bunch of bunk anyway.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 8:36:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/30/2001 8:30:46 AM EDT by 95thFoot]
Originally Posted By fatty: "...Hm, my lord (hare krishna) My, my, my lord (hare krishna) Oh hm, my sweet lord (krishna, krishna) Oh-uuh-uh (hare, hare)"
View Quote
"I looked for Harry Krishna, but Harry wasn't home...." KAH-EELI!
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 8:41:35 AM EDT
So who are you to judge others by how or for whom they express grief, garandman? Are you going to be comfortable explaining to God why you chose to ridicule those who mourned the loss of someone who obviously meant something simply because they didn't do so in a garandman approved manner? And you'll have a hard time providing any examples of where I said the Bible is bunk, simply because I never have. But then again, given your tendency to sit in judgement of your fellow man, it doesn't really surprise me that you would attempt to ascribe such a notion to me.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 8:43:22 AM EDT
AntUSSA, If it weren't for the Beatles, there would not have been the Doors or King Crimson. They opened the door, they started the trends, they introduced tempo/melody changes in the middle of songs....etc. P.S. If there has ever been a better male rock and roll voice than Jim Morrison's, I've never heard it.....Cheers
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 8:48:29 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Coz_45-age-caliber: AntUSSA, If it weren't for the Beatles, there would not have been the Doors or King Crimson. They opened the door, they started the trends, they introduced tempo/melody changes in the middle of songs....etc.
View Quote
i don't agree, yes, they were the first, but if they didn't exist, eventually these things would have emerged from somebody somewhere, IMO. music, like the society of the times were destined to change rapidly. just like eventually, evolution will rid us of our smallest toes.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 8:50:49 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Coz_45-age-caliber: AntUSSA, If it weren't for the Beatles, there would not have been the Doors or King Crimson. They opened the door, they started the trends, they introduced tempo/melody changes in the middle of songs....etc. P.S. If there has ever been a better male rock and roll voice than Jim Morrison's, I've never heard it.....Cheers
View Quote
Wow, somebody else that remembers King Crimson. They weren't around long, but did some really good music. I would rate Steve Perry, formerly of Journey, as being close in the R&R voice category.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top