Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 11/29/2001 2:44:35 PM EDT
Can some body please explain what the benefit is if any between both. thank you
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 2:50:55 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 3:25:44 PM EDT
i assume you're talking about glock mags--the way you can tell which is which is that the drop free mags have a square area hehind the loaded round and the old non drop free have a round area beihnd the round--the round or square is just so you can recognize them--it has no function as far as i know----the drop free mags are fully metal lined and the non drop do not so they swell up when you stuff them full of bullets.....Dick
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 3:33:18 PM EDT
I have a G19 on order so this interests me. IF the mags swell up with bullets in 'em...wouldnt they drop free when they're empty? Or do they stay "swollen"? If its the former, then only tactical reloads would be affected. Yes/No? Cheers BP
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 3:39:38 PM EDT
Don't worry about it . Your Glock will come with the drop free (that's one heck of an oxymoron). Did you get the tritium sights?? [smoke] I
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 3:48:30 PM EDT
Actually I told my dealer to take the first one he can get. The 19's are scarce right now and hes not a Glock dealer. I will deal with the sights when I get it. I have 4 NFML 15rd mags coming any day now that I ordered off this board. I dont really care if they drop free or not, since I dont carry an extra mag. Just use em at the range. Right now I can only carry 10+1 With my PT111. There are no high caps avail. for it. Cheers BP
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 3:50:43 PM EDT
I could be wrong (I'm sure I'll be corrected if I am) but I believe the Glock was designed for the military not to drop mags. The design was changed for american shooters. The military was more concerned with not loosing equipment.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 3:59:09 PM EDT
As I understand it, the non-drop-free is primarily a European military tradition. On a battlefield, magazines, especially pistol magazines, are hard to get. If you drop it in the mud, you may never get it back, and you may need it later. Think WWI trench, in the dark, in the rain
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 7:20:02 PM EDT
FWIW I prefer the non-drop frees. They all drop free from my pistols when empty so that's not a problem. The Glock mags were orginally designed to stay in the gun and not fall out. Proper Glock technique is to pull the mag out with the weak hand. Since this was such a strange concept to American shooters, who are used to 1911 mags flying out of the pistol, Glock redesigned the mags to fall from the gun. I like the non-drop frees better because they fit more flush in the gun. It's really the only reason. It's really not something I would lose too much sleep over. I would also gladly buy NDF mags rather than pay a premium for DF mags.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 11:15:49 AM EDT
NDF mags were mentioned to have been designed to prevent accidental mag drops of [u]loaded[/u] mags.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 1:18:25 PM EDT
i don't remember exactly what i did to my 17L that i shoot some 3gun with but i think i made a square piece of wood a little bigger than a mag and jammed it in the mag hole and now mine isn't exactly a drop free but damn close...if you want to make a hellatious mag well on your glock--hold it over a red hot burner and it will soften a little--be very careful needless to say--i took the handle of a kitchen knife and formed it into a big mag well by rubbing the knife handle along the edge of the well and get it like you like it--also like those Seattle slugs------Dick
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 1:29:53 PM EDT
I have used both the drop free and non-drop free 15 round mags on a G19. The non-drop free mag drops free after about half of the rounds are fired. The plastic bulges out when it is full and it gets skinnier as rounds are discharged. If I recall correctly, the one I tested came free after about 6 rounds were removed from a full mag. Not likely you would do a tactical reload before that, so I don't think it matters.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 2:00:44 PM EDT
ive had so called "Drop free" mags that didnt want to drop free this was for my glock 17. a better term i wish more people would use is FML (so called drop free) and NFML (so called non drop free) . fully metal lined and non fully metal lined. the metal lining is there to prevent bulging when the mag is fully loaded
Top Top