Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/29/2001 2:11:14 PM EDT
Was just wondering what Christmas traditions you have in your family that give you that warm, fuzzy feeling.  Things that you did as a family when you were a kid, and you still do them every year because it just wouldn’t be Christmas without them.  What makes it Christmas for you?  I’m sure there are a lot of good stories out there.  Let’s hear ‘em.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 2:15:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Putting up the $%@*&!%! Cristmas lights and all the other stuff in the yard, my house looks like the one in A National Lampoons Christmas.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 2:20:33 PM EDT
[#2]
My family always plays a game or two of Scrabble, every Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years. They can be pretty vicious. You'd think we all hate each other. But after the game's over, we go back to being one big happy family, eating way too much and watching Football......
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 3:11:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 3:23:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Getting really blazed up or drunk with my brother so we can make it through all the lexus-suv-private-school-euro-vacation-callaway-vs-ping-pier-one boomer-yuppy-talk of everyone in our extended materialistic family.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 3:31:40 PM EDT
[#5]
[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/Aggie1%2Fdogs1%2Ejpg[/img]
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 3:39:59 PM EDT
[#6]
We pass presents out one at a time on Christmas morning, usually my grandfather does it, and everyone gets to see what everyone else got.  It takes a loong time, we usually have to break for lunch, but God I love doing it that way!

edited to say that the santa icon isn't working!
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 4:37:24 PM EDT
[#7]
The whole family and any friends who want to come along head up into the forest to play in the snow and cut trees.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 7:42:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Surely, there's more than this?  Come on....I know you're all big tough guys, but traditions aren't all sappy.  Doesn't anyone here like Christmas?
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 8:16:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Christmas is my absolute favorite holiday!
As far as traditions go my family goes to midnight mass and after we all go to my Mom's and sing Christmas carols. Then we all get to open one present. When I was a child, somehow it always turned out to be socks. I think my mom put them in the coolest looking package or paper so my brother and I would pick them!
My mom and I live in different states now so I miss this a lot. This year, however, my husband the kids and I are going to Georgia to spend Christmas with my mom. I am looking forward to having her open socks on Christmas eve! [:D]
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 8:43:58 PM EDT
[#10]
That's more like it!  Thanks, MrsEcho6.  

My sister, niece, and best friend and I get together the week before Christmas to make Christmas candy.  We break open a bottle (or 2 or 3) of whatever we feel like drinking, then line up the candy makings and recipes.  We turn on the Christmas music CDs and sing along as we make the candy.  Needless to say, the farther along we get with the process (and the drinking), the more we forget the words and sing off key. So we just fill in the blank spots with la-la-la's.  Thus our day of merriment has been permanently christened as "La La Day".  It's a day full of fun and friendship, and we each go home with a nice assortment of yummy candies.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 8:54:20 PM EDT
[#11]
AR15 Gal,
I am curious.....how well does the candy come out after 2or 3 or 4 bottles of whatever? [:)]
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 9:27:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Believe it or not, our drinking does not affect our candy making.  We don't get sloppy drunk, just silly enough to have fun.  We've been doing this for years, and have made some awesome candy.  We try new recipes every year and kind of have a tendency to try to out-do what we did the year before.  It's great fun AND good eating!  [:D]
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 10:00:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 10:03:16 PM EDT
[#14]
I really hate the Thanksgiving/Christmas time of year. Don't know why I just always have since I was young.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 10:17:30 PM EDT
[#15]
My mom, dad, sis, and I try to hide from the rest of the relatives and avoid letting them know where we are spending x-mas because they are a bunch of mooching liberal aholes [:(]

When I was 12, santa brought me a nice .22. the psycho anti gun uncle and family were grabbing it and freaking out. I went up to my 57 y/o uncle and said, "If you can't handle it responsibly, I'll have to put it away and you'll never see it again. See that (pointing at the muzzle) that's the dangerous end. Don't point it at any one." No brownie points made on that part of the family.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top