Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/28/2001 2:59:45 PM EDT
I caught this on fox news real quick, can't seem to find anything online about it. An office building was evacuated people were vomiting, the Fire department was hosing people down. The described a rotten egg smell. Anyone know anything about this?
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 3:03:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Uhh, I went downstairs to buy stamps earlier and farted in the elevator.

Hope it wasn't me.

What city?
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 3:25:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Any number of things can have a rotten egg smell. I have several chemicals the contain sulfer, and they all have a smell that would be described as rotten egg.

People will puke just thinking they've been exposed to somehting bad. I've had women go home because my latex paint was making them sick....

I have everyone in the building out on the lawn on a regular basis.... It is unusual for the fire dept to hose people down... normally a company hazmat team does that.

Link Posted: 11/28/2001 3:31:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Rotten egg smell could be H2S, hydrogen sulfide.  Sour gas.  Its quite toxic much like carbon monoxide but it has a pungent odor.  If you can smell it, you are still safe.  After a while, it destroys your sense of smell and then bad juju.

I recon its a mercaptan, otherwise known as an odorant for odorless fuel gases like natural gas.  Many prank shops sell such stuff.  Its illegal to use it in such manner.

BTW, I doubt someone hit it with H2S as this is an expensive and difficult chemical attack agent.
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 4:03:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Maybe Rosie O'Donnel was in town?!?
[:X*]
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 4:05:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Maybe its a plugged sewer line.
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 5:11:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I concurr...clogged sewer pipe...all the other suggetions. Bio/Chem-weapons [b]usually[/b] do not present this way.

Now if there was a pile of say 25+ dead people out in front and more being carried out by FD/EMS Haz-Mat troopies, then I would worry.

Edited for a space I missed cuz I is a product of public schooling!
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 7:34:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Iron Sulfate, Sodium Bisafate, mixed in equal amounts. Spit on it, and BINGO! rotten egg smell. Old Boy Scout fun
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top