Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 12:46:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Yeah, I'm married, 2 weeks ago I was out on the coast digging razor clams, I often vacation on the Oregon coast, and I enjoy driving, offroading, and motorcycles. That obviously means I don't like women, beaches, or cars, right? Geez, with logic as piss poor as that, you honestly wonder why so many people don't care for Californians?
View Quote

That's not logic, I'm just ragging on ya. Where is that cabin of your?

It would be nice, however, if we did legalize hunting those advancing Californians. Just put a "hot chick" with huge fake tits on the beach and you fools would flock in. We'd limit out every day. [;)]
View Quote

Without us, you wouldn't have anything to bitch about. Boy.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 12:50:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Karl, you should see what a similar massive influx and population growth has done to the Puget Sound region. It's sad.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 12:52:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
In a sick way, I kind of like the Cali laws.  Makes gun owners like me ELITE in a sense.  "Grandfathered in..."
View Quote

Yes, our nation needs more people just like you. Maybe one day we'll be able to say "I was free to own a gun back when...."
View Quote

What the...?  Now I'm drawing fire?  Man, I was just kidding about the Cali laws.  You think I enjoying having the priviledge of shelling out $1400 for my AR?  I know it's gloomy up there but have a little humor in your life Washington.  "Rain rain go away, come again another day..."  Yeah right.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 12:55:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
That's not logic, I'm just ragging on ya. Where is that cabin of your?
View Quote

Sorry to disappoint you, bit I live in a nice 2 story home in a well to do part of town. And all this on the wages of a railroader and an aircraft mechanic. I do have to confess that I harbor a small amount of envy towards a friend of mine who is a bush pilot in a remote area of Alaska, however. That almost sounds like paradise to me.

Without us, you wouldn't have anything to bitch about.
View Quote

Easy, I just wouldn't. Again, sorry to disappoint you, but I don't generally go through life complaining. Unlike those who visit another state and the only thing they have to note about it was their perceived lack of attractive women. [;)]

Link Posted: 11/29/2001 12:56:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Whoa!!

I went to Lunch and sounds like we are about to have Civil War all over again! John, the main frustration that Native Oregonians have had with California is that the huge influx of people into Oregon happened so QUICKLY. There is a lot of anti-California sentiment in the Central Oregon area because of increasing traffic and suburban sprawl. In fact, the new city planner of Bend has come from some touristy area similar to Bend and has promised to accomplish the same thing in Oregon. He is dedicated to restricitng unrestrained growth into areas that were once wild and scenic. Oregonians are VERY proud of their state and you can break down even further into West side versus East side. The people in Eastern Oregon really resent those folks from the Valley (Portland, Eugene, Salem, etc...) because they feel that those from the Valley intrude upon their lives and view Eastern Oregon as their playground. There is also  A LOT of frustration when it comes to voting as the Valley possesses the population mass and will passs legislation that flies in the face of many people over here (no dogs when cougar hunting as an example). You could probably start a Civil War in this state just based on those people who live on opposite sides of the Cascades. And speaking of Civil War..YOU DUCKS ARE GONNA LOSE!! GO BEAVERS.

Karl
View Quote

Karl,

I have no problems with Oregon. I think it's an interesting place to visit. I personally wouldn't live there, but that's just me.
I'm having fun with Boomer because he's so anti California.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 12:58:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I know it's gloomy up there but have a little humor in your life Washington.  "Rain rain go away, come again another day..."  Yeah right.
View Quote

Actually, the rain doesn't bother me at all. I wish it would snow more, though. I have publicly stated several times that I wish it would rain for about two years up here. Most of the non-hackers would then either move away or kill themselves.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 12:59:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
...But before anyone does too much bashing of the folks who relocate to Southern Oregon from the PRK, realize that most of those people are retiring to the area and they bring with them a lot of money.  And that is a good part of what is keeping what little economy is in the area alive.  I have had homes in both locations for quite some time now and I spend a lot of PRK money in Oregon.  I don't see the store owners, building contractors, service providers, restuarant owners, and property tax collectors complaining. [:D]
View Quote

Semi - yes one could make such an argument. Now let me give you the flipside:

The same old folks water down the economy due to the fact the income is transfer income. And because very few multi millionaires retire to So OR - we have an inordinately high number of non producing (salaries/goods/services) individuals that are largely recipients of social services.

Secondly, they are  a powerful voting block. They do not vote for anything which will not benifit them. That means roads, freeway intechanges, school bond measures, increased area public transit, etc, etc. All of which are necessary to entice industry to a community.

As a result, industry is hard pressed to locate here. Particularly high tech industry. The first question a techie asks when they get off the plane? What are your k-12 schools like? Well they suck. We lead in the drop out rate. And suck in the higher ed attendance ratios too.

We have an inordinant amount of service based jobs in our economy. We are actually in the bottom 20% of counties in the US.

Warehousing the elderly isn't a money maker in either the short or long term.

Adding another old person to the area is like adding .230 hitter to the team line up - it does nothing good.

Adding a factory? This is like a .400 hitter.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 1:02:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Sorry to disappoint you, bit I live in a nice 2 story home in a well to do part of town. And all this on the wages of a railroader and an aircraft mechanic. I do have to confess that I harbor a small amount of envy towards a friend of mine who is a bush pilot in a remote area of Alaska, however. That almost sounds like paradise to me.
View Quote

Well, I heard through the grape vine that Alaska doesn't want anyone from Washington to spoil their state. [:D]

Link Posted: 11/29/2001 1:04:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm having fun with Boomer because he's so anti California.
View Quote

Hey, I'm not really anti-Californian. I don't think they have any problems that a few 9.0 earthquakes, a million square mile wildfire, and several neutron bombs couldn't cure.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 1:06:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Well, I heard through the grape vine that Alaska doesn't want anyone from Washington to spoil their state.
View Quote

Well, at least not those who would have the nerve to go up there and then whine about it, right? [;)]
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 1:06:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Hey, I'm not really anti-Californian. I don't think they have any problems that a few 9.0 earthquakes, a million square mile wildfire, and several neutron bombs couldn't cure.
View Quote

How sick are you? You wish death upon millions of people you don't even know. And I thought Osama was evil.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 1:10:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Hey, lighten up. I never literally said I wished anyone to be killed, did I? Just shaken back to their senses. [;)]
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 1:18:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Hey, lighten up. I never literally said I wished anyone to be killed, did I? Just shaken back to their senses.
View Quote

You implied. That's the same as wishing death. I don't think that cabin of yours is big enough.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 1:21:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I don't think that cabin of yours is big enough.
View Quote

It doesn't have to be. It's well armed and defended. We CAN still buy those evil "assault weapons" that so scare the typical Californian, remember? [;)]
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 1:30:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't think that cabin of yours is big enough.
View Quote

It doesn't have to be. It's well armed and defended. We CAN still buy those evil "assault weapons" that so scare the typical Californian, remember? [;)]
View Quote

Trust me, there are a lot of typical Californians that have the evil assault weapons, legal or otherwise.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 5:21:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Semi - yes one could make such an argument. Now let me give you the flipside:

View Quote

SIX; I agree with your points.  You describe a condition much like most rural areas of Calif. or anywhere else.  So the big challenge is how to attract a factory that will give people decent jobs and provide better lifestyles without destroying the rural character of a particular area.  And we have all seen what happens to "company towns" when that one factory folds up and sends their manufacturing overseas.  I guess if I had the answers I would be one of those multi-millionares.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 11:16:34 PM EDT
[#17]
I've picked out some land near ashland and may be living there next fall. If there are any of you in the area who can tell the difference between an AR15.commer and the typical californian, feel free to say hey.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 11:59:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I've picked out some land near ashland and may be living there next fall.
View Quote

Are you a fan of Shakespeare?
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 8:31:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've picked out some land near ashland and may be living there next fall.
View Quote

Are you a fan of Shakespeare?
View Quote

Not enough to get it ???
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 9:50:29 AM EDT
[#20]
I think one of the problems that people in
Oregon have with Californians is about attitudes
on certain issues.  Like the public right to beaches, for one example.  People have moved
here from California, built houses on the sand,
for Christ's sake, and tried to claim the beach
for themselves.  Another issue are navigable
rivers.  A lot of the new comers bought land
along the great rivers of Oregon and tried to
keep out fishermen.  There was one guy here
locally who bought land along the S. Santiam
and kicked out all the bank fishermen.  What
he did not know was that his property line was the "high water mark," not where ever the hell
he wanted it.  He got his justice, though.  During the winter he got slightly flooded, I was told.  I think Oregon ought to ship Eugene
and maybe parts of Portland to California.
Heh heh heh.  I ALSO BELIEVE THAT CALIFORNIA
HAS A TON OF NICE,DECENT FOLKS, HOWEVER.
Oregon has a couple of large areas full of kooks
of our own. I was truly embarassed by the Mayor
of Eugene over the Christmas tree issue, not to
mention the apparant haven for anarchists there.
As for Bend, like the earlier post said, it was a sleepy kind of town until folks from California discovered it.  Soon after, a drug
problem arrived. I can't really blame THAT on
the people from down south, I just know it happened.  Bend DOES have a nice rifle range, though - 1000 yards, etc. John
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 7:32:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Axel:

Southern Oregon University (Ashland) is home of a well known Shakespeare festival.

Karl
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 7:44:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Well, with all the ragging on PRK, I have to compliment the gun owners there...

About 95% of the owners of so-called "assault weapons" did NOT register their firearms, nor did they all march down to the local police station and line up in straight lines, and turn in their large capacity magazines.

One of these days, the powers that be in PRK are going to have a rude awakening.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 8:16:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I ALSO BELIEVE THAT CALIFORNIA
HAS A TON OF NICE,DECENT FOLKS, HOWEVER.
View Quote

There are a lot of good, decent folks here. We just hate assholes from Washington. If you don't like California, don't fucking come here.

As for Bend, like the earlier post said, it was a sleepy kind of town until folks from California discovered it.  Soon after, a drug
problem arrived. I can't really blame THAT on
the people from down south, I just know it happened.  Bend DOES have a nice rifle range, though - 1000 yards, etc. John
View Quote

A long range rifle range would be nice. My local range only goes out to something like 300 yards.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 8:16:43 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Well, with all the ragging on PRK, I have to compliment the gun owners there...

About 95% of the owners of so-called "assault weapons" did NOT register their firearms, nor did they all march down to the local police station and line up in straight lines, and turn in their large capacity magazines.

One of these days, the powers that be in PRK are going to have a rude awakening.
View Quote

Unfortunately, I think the rude awakening will be for you.  You'll find out nobody will help you get back the freedoms you lost.  They will be too busy out on the beach checking out the hot chicks. [;)][:D]
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 8:38:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Unfortunately, I think the rude awakening will be for you.  You'll find out nobody will help you get back the freedoms you lost.  They will be too busy out on the beach checking out the hot chicks. [;)][:D]
View Quote

Amen, checking out a gun isn't nearly as exciting as checking out hot chicks.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top