Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/27/2001 12:42:31 PM EDT
Ok, A buddy offered me a bunch for my post ban bushy 20 incher w/ A1 sights. I was kinda' getting bored with it so I said ok. He is pleading with his wife to buy it, so in the mean time I need to start looking for a replacement. I'm want to put in about $1000. It doesn't have to be an ar, but it does have to be awesome.

What should I get? My pop is a ffl and will order anything for me wholesale. I was thinking maybe a M1A (right areound 1k), Rem sendaro .300 with a nice leopold ($570 gun, $450 scope and mount), a springfield 1911 trp (right at 1k), a bushy m4 (under $750) w/ a butt load of mags or a couple of decent guns. Also, what would a ar10 cost?

Thanks for any advice. I don't really have a specific need for the gun, but this is probably the most i will be able to spend until I'm out of college.

Thanks,
ARben
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 1:43:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Ok, A buddy offered me a bunch for my post ban bushy 20 incher w/ A1 sights. I was kinda' getting bored with it so I said ok. He is pleading with his wife to buy it, so in the mean time I need to start looking for a replacement. I'm want to put in about $1000. It doesn't have to be an ar, but it does have to be awesome.

What should I get? My pop is a ffl and will order anything for me wholesale. I was thinking maybe a M1A (right areound 1k), Rem sendaro .300 with a nice leopold ($570 gun, $450 scope and mount), a springfield 1911 trp (right at 1k), a bushy m4 (under $750) w/ a butt load of mags or a couple of decent guns. Also, what would a ar10 cost?

Thanks for any advice. I don't really have a specific need for the gun, but this is probably the most i will be able to spend until I'm out of college.

Thanks,
ARben
View Quote

i would buy ammo for my other ar..  you do have another ar don't you?
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 1:59:46 PM EDT
[#2]
No other AR and I make my own ammo.
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 2:29:16 PM EDT
[#3]
M1A.

The M4 is nice but ONLY if it is a preban with telestock, flashider etc

Otherwise, M1A.

Easy call.

Link Posted: 11/27/2001 2:34:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Let me say this too....

Take a SERIOUS look at the DSA STg58A FAL.

go to [url]www.dsarms.com[/url]

You can get the gun for $800 thru a friendly FFL.

{edited to add }

Selling points:

1. Evil, black rifle.
2. Cheap mags ($5 for 20 rounders)
3. Low recoil for a .308
4. Likely target of future gun banners
5. The DSA is one sweet lookin' gun

Link Posted: 11/27/2001 3:14:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Let me say this too....

Take a SERIOUS look at the DSA STg58A FAL.

go to [url]www.dsarms.com[/url]

You can get the gun for $800 thru a friendly FFL.

{edited to add }

Selling points:

1. Evil, black rifle.
2. Cheap mags ($5 for 20 rounders)
3. Low recoil for a .308
4. Likely target of future gun banners
5. The DSA is one sweet lookin' gun

View Quote

Very tempting. My dad said he would order anything at wholesale for me, so that is definitely a possibility. Darnet, I just can't get past my love for American rifles, though.
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 3:18:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Darnet, I just can't get past my love for American rifles, though.
View Quote

Yeah, imagine the moral dilemma for someone known as "garandman." [:D]

But as you are rocking thru a mag of 20 off the bipod, with that sucker holding aim like an AR , well....lemme just say you get over it, if only ever  so briefly.

[}:D]

Link Posted: 11/27/2001 3:29:02 PM EDT
[#7]
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=69135[/url]
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 3:39:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Darnet, I just can't get past my love for American rifles, though.
View Quote

Yeah, imagine the moral dilemma for someone known as "garandman." [:D]

But as you are rocking thru a mag of 20 off the bipod, with that sucker holding aim like an AR , well....lemme just say you get over it, if only ever  so briefly.

[}:D]

View Quote

Sir, you have made an excellent point.
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 4:04:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
M1A.

The M4 is nice but ONLY if it is a preban with telestock, flashider etc

Otherwise, M1A.

Easy call.

View Quote

I had one of those M4 type carbines.  I always shot it with the stock extended, never found a bayonet that would fit correctly, and an ak74 muzzle brake shoots better, imho.

Traded it for a newer bushy that is postban with a pinned stock, HBAR, ak74 brake, etc.  Shoots sweeter and is not an 'assault weapon' by definition.

YMMV

TheRedGoat/Baphomet
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 4:15:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I had one of those M4 type carbines.  I always shot it with the stock extended, never found a bayonet that would fit correctly, and an ak74 muzzle brake shoots better, imho.

Traded it for a newer bushy that is postban with a pinned stock, HBAR, ak74 brake, etc.  Shoots sweeter and is not an 'assault weapon' by definition.

YMMV

TheRedGoat/Baphomet
View Quote

How is the bushy m4? I was thinking that if I went the AR route again it would be either a bushy mfgery or shorty carbine. I have the 20 inch rifle, but if I sell it i would like to try the carbine.

Thanks,
ARben
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 4:25:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Hold on the the cash for now.  The quickest way to double your money is to fold it up and put it back in your pocket.  The fastest way to spend your money is toget that M1A and then send it to a smith to get it to shoot good.(and yes the nomex is already on yall)  Wait a bit and see if Armalites custom shop comes out with the Ar-10 in 300WSM. or just get an Armalite period. Any way that my .02 worth
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 4:28:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Bushmaster DCM
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 4:43:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Wait a bit and see if Armalites custom shop comes out with the Ar-10 in 300WSM. or just get an Armalite period. Any way that my .02 worth
View Quote

What are the AR10s running wholesale?
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 4:44:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Bushmaster DCM
View Quote

I kinda' like that idea.
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 5:16:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Uh,

$1k?

How about a full auto MAC 10 or SWD 11?

You can just find a used one at about $800-900 and pay the $200 tax.

AFARR
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 5:24:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Uh,

$1k?

How about a full auto MAC 10 or SWD 11?

You can just find a used one at about $800-900 and pay the $200 tax.

AFARR
View Quote

sounds like a load of fun, but maybe something with a little more function.
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 9:06:14 PM EDT
[#17]
sounds like a load of fun, but maybe something with a little more function
View Quote

Then an AR in semi is the way to go.

However, I would seriously consider an MG as an option--

They are the "ultimate" pre-ban's--no more new Production for civilian sale since 1986.

It will function fine as a semi-auto carbine with a short barrel (try and find an UZI or complete AR in 9mm for $1000).

The SWD M11/9 is like the 1911 of machine guns--there are a lot of them out there, and there are a lot of options to customize them:  STEn Mag conversions (you can also use 50 rd. Lanchester mags in them), HK sights, K grips, slow fire bolts, better stocks (fixed and folding), etc.  People do win Subgun matches with customized M11's vs. even guns like MP-5's and Colt's and UZI's.  

You can pick up a semi-auto receiver for an AR for $150 and build one yourself for about $500.  You can get a pre-ban AR for $1000.  However, if you are not likely to buy another gun for a while, the MG is the way to go--they consistently go up in price.  Unless we get another ban on Semi-Autos, they will slowly increase in price for the post bans, and the same way for a pre-ban.  If you decide you don't want the M 11, you could easily trade it for a pre-ban AR in the future.  

AFARR

Link Posted: 11/28/2001 3:02:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sounds like a load of fun, but maybe something with a little more function
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then an AR in semi is the way to go.

However, I would seriously consider an MG as an option--

They are the "ultimate" pre-ban's--no more new Production for civilian sale since 1986.

It will function fine as a semi-auto carbine with a short barrel (try and find an UZI or complete AR in 9mm for $1000).

The SWD M11/9 is like the 1911 of machine guns--there are a lot of them out there, and there are a lot of options to customize them: STEn Mag conversions (you can also use 50 rd. Lanchester mags in them), HK sights, K grips, slow fire bolts, better stocks (fixed and folding), etc. People do win Subgun matches with customized M11's vs. even guns like MP-5's and Colt's and UZI's.

You can pick up a semi-auto receiver for an AR for $150 and build one yourself for about $500. You can get a pre-ban AR for $1000. However, if you are not likely to buy another gun for a while, the MG is the way to go--they consistently go up in price. Unless we get another ban on Semi-Autos, they will slowly increase in price for the post bans, and the same way for a pre-ban. If you decide you don't want the M 11, you could easily trade it for a pre-ban AR in the future.

AFARR

Definitely a great idea, but I just haven't aquired a taste for machine guns and, from what i've read, WI won't let me have one even if i pay the excise tax ect.

Thanks for the input,

ARben

Link Posted: 11/28/2001 3:03:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Please let me know if i am wrong about wi's laws on class 3 weapons.

Thanks,
ARben
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 3:45:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Where are you in WI?

Wisconsin is a "Yes" Machine Gun state.  This is what the Bardwell website says about MG's:

WI    Y   Y   Y   Y   Y    Y     Y (permit required for expdd, no incendiary expdd's; no pistol cal mg's w/o permit)

(The Y's indicate Machine Guns, Supressors, Short Barreled guns, etc. are allowed).

I don't know specifics about the "permit" he mentions.

The biggest problem with people buying MG's is the Chief Law Enforcement Officer sign off on the Form 4 (tax paid transfer to an individual).  The tax is actually a Transfer Tax, and you get a stamp on your Form 4.  

I would go to [url]http://www.subguns.com/c2c3/c3state.htm[/url] and check out the recommended dealer list there.  The nearest dealers can generally tell you if someone will sign the Form 4 in your area and guide you through the purchase process.

I would definitely try out an MG before you buy one, just to make sure it is what you want.  There are some active MG shooters in WI.  You may want to go to the full auto section of AR15.com and post a question about buying full auto in WI.

AFARR
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top