Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/26/2001 11:45:34 PM EDT
I'm trying to decide between an X Box or a PS2 game system. Anybody have any opinions?
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 12:15:50 AM EDT
[#1]
I just got a PS2 for my son's Christmas, plenty of games available. Not that many games available for the X Box.
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 12:36:21 AM EDT
[#2]
I work inside a WallyWorld, and I've been playing both of them regularly since the XBox came out.
I like the 'Box better, IMHO... Just better graphics and faster load times. And, if the networking turns out half as good as microsoft says it'll be, that will just seal the deal. Being a Pentium III 733, it's a shame that they didn't make it upgradeable.

Don't get me wrong, I like the PS2, but I think the X box is a bit better.  As for the selection of games, Sony's been in the console business for a bit longer and has a good relationship with developers giving it a temporary edge with the shear number of titles, however, MS is shrewd and will lie, cheat, steal, coerce and otherwise strongarm whomever it has to to become dominant in it's new arena.
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 12:39:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Gunbert, do you have any connections to actually get an XBox? Every place around here is sold out right now.
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 1:10:33 AM EDT
[#4]
They were out last time I worked, but I go in day after tomorrow... if you think about it, email me and I'll let you know.  I know enough people there to maybe get one held for me... but they gotta get them in stock.  
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 4:04:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Its funny how things work.  No one has then anywhere in Des Moines except this little hole in the wall place called Funcoland.  I bought an xbox last week on a whim and loved it.  Went back today to get the Gotham car race game to add to Halo that I got last week and they had 2 more xboxes in hand.  Should have bought another one and sold it on ebay for a hundred bucks profit.  

I like it better then my friends Playstation 2 for graphics.  Halo is awesome.  I saw a list of games that are coming out for xbox and it was very large and looked good.

Messed with the Nintendo Game Cube they had and it was pretty good also.  And cheaper by 100 bucks.

patsue
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 4:13:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Too me the graphics of the PS2 are much cleaner than those of either the Gamebox or XBox. In the long run PS2 is the better buy simply because you can play all PS1 games on it. When PS3 comes out in two years you'll still be able to play PS1 and PS2 games on it as well so there won't be any wasted money on games. In the long run this will actually save many hundreds if not thousands of dollars depending on how much gaming you do. Also there are more used games available saving you more money there as well. AND, only one console allows you the sheer thrill of Metal Gear Solid 2:Sons of Liberty!
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 5:17:43 AM EDT
[#7]
One thing to remember, *every* single person who has *ever* bet against Microsoft has lost money.

Every single person who gives in and goes along with microsoft makes money.

History always repeats itself.

Link Posted: 11/27/2001 5:21:42 AM EDT
[#8]
XBOX all the way! Dead Or Alive 3 and HALO are "too sweet"!

Tyler
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 5:46:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Can the X-BOX be hooked up to a computer monitor? What type of connections does it have for video out? S-video, RCA, etc?

Never understood playing games on a regular TV, always looked like crap.

Av.
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 6:08:26 AM EDT
[#10]
I have owned a PS2 since the day they were released last year, and I'd have to say the XBOX has more potential.  And let me say that I HATE Microsoft.  Nothing about their computer products enthuses me, especially their security.

Pro's:
1: It's Microsoft.  They'll take a loss to own the video game market.  While they don't have any franchise games, they've got the power to work with studios and get what they want.  THey also have deep pockets to sell at a loss until they drive their other competitors out of the market.

2: The XBOX already has more good release games than the PS2 has after a year.  I still don't understand why there are so few PS2 games out a year after it's initial release.

3: Anyone who can easily make games for the PC can make games for the XBOX.  Porting games between the two is supposed to be very easy.  Programming for the PS2 is supposed to be a nightmare, which probably explains #2.

4: The XBOX is HDTV capable up to 1080i.  That means if you've got a HDTV you can get computer resolutions past 800x600 off of it which the PS2 cannot do.

5: The nVidia graphics chipset on the XBOX is capable of doing things the Emotion Engine the PS2 uses for graphics can't.  It's just no contest.  The ATI/Nintendo graphics chipset looks impressive on paper, but I haven't seen anything on the Gamecube that shows it off yet.

6: While the both play DVD's, the XBOX actually has a working remote that does something.  All the PS2 DVD remotes suck.

7: The first one to be a set top appliance wins.  The XBOX looks to be the early leader.  A game console that doubles as a PC or even entertainment device (Games: Check!  DVD Playback: Check!  Broadband capable: Check!  Web Browser:  It's Microsoft after all...)  The swiss army box will win, and so far that looks to be the XBOX.

Cons:
1: It's Microsoft's first forray into the console world.  The first thing to understand is that the console gaming world is a world unto itself.  So far, they've shown they don't understand it yet.  The XBOX hardware alone shows they're still thinking like the PC world.  However, the XBOX does kick ass, so maybe Microsoft will change the console world.

2: No franchise titles.  No Mario Brothers, Crash Bandicoot, Yoshi, Gran Turismo, etc.  But it's possible you'll see Sonic, ECO the dolphin and all the other SEGA standbys on the platform.  So far, HALO looks like a strong contender for a franchise title, provided it doesn't make it's way to the PC.

3: The hardware isn't cheap.  It's easily the most expensive console on the market, especially considering that most places like Toys R Us wouldn't sell it outside of a bundle.  For a normal TV, the graphics are going to be close enough between the PS2 and the XBOX.  They both play DVD's.  You can actually find a PS2 if you go looking for one.  Fortunately, there isn't the scarcity of the PS2 last year, so the XBOX isn't going for insane rates like the PS2 did last year on ebay.  It really comes down to release titles.

4: Sony makes more money off the Playstation product line than anything else it sells.  However, I don't think they have what it takes to compete with Microsoft on this one.

God Bless Texas

[edited because I wrote this before my first dose of caffeine and obviously couldn't spell without it.]
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 6:14:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Can the X-BOX be hooked up to a computer monitor? What type of connections does it have for video out? S-video, RCA, etc?

Never understood playing games on a regular TV, always looked like crap.

Av.
View Quote

I play Quake3 and now Return to Castle Wolfenstein on my TV in the living room.  I'm browsing AR15.com from the sofa right now.

XBOX can do RCA natively with S-video and coax possible with add-on adapters.  There should be a component video adapter for it soon that will allow it to do the HDTV resolutions.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 6:30:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Sweet. I'll probablly get the X-BOX when/if the HDTV adaptor comes out.

It will look nice hooked up in my living room...

Does it have any type of Dolby Digital out? Or is it just plain-jane stereo connections on back?

Av.
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 6:38:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Dude...You only need one game for X Box... Halo!

Its the reason to buy the x box...
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 7:42:25 AM EDT
[#14]
My buddy bought an xbox and the system locks up hard everytime you scroll through the menu quickly...

Remind you of anything else Microsoft has their hands in?
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 7:50:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Before buying your next game console remember two words: Sega Dreamcast. This was supposed to be the 'be all, end all'.
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 8:11:21 AM EDT
[#16]
I just sold mine on ebay for a $20 profit. I don't think I would have had the time playing it anyway.
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 8:12:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Every Xbox game I have seen seems to have a low framerate. I don't think I have seen any Xbox games that run at 60fps.
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 8:15:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Personally I would buy the Nintendo Game Cube because -
1) I personally don't like most fighing games.
2) Nintendo has companies that produce decent games for it.
3) For being $100 cheaper than X-Box, it is almost as good. (X-Box has a better graphics card, but it's an analog output so all that quality is gone and the Game Cube supports the same sort of effects.)

Although the X-Box has everything high-end, it really doesn't give you that much more. Remember that the only reason we need faster home computers is because Windows keeps getting slower. Dispite XP's claims of being faster, it needs more memory and processor power just to run notepad smoothly. My point here is that the X-Box has more power than what can actually be effectivly used.

Who cares if the graphics card can do anti-aliasing at 1024x768 if the resolution of your tv is 800x600 at best. How you get that from 512 scanlines I don't know.

Historically high-priced gaming systems went the way of the Neo-Geo, even if they were better. Who else has/had a TurboGraphics16?

I know I haven't covered the PS2, but it is a decent system.
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 8:20:54 AM EDT
[#19]
BTW, because it costs Microsoft around $500 to make each XBox, but they are selling them for around $300, that means they take a $200 loss on each console system which they will need to somehow make up. This will be done by high licensing costs. Yes, this means the games are going to cost a lot!
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 8:27:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Every Xbox game I have seen seems to have a low framerate. I don't think I have seen any Xbox games that run at 60fps.
View Quote

Sorry to streach this all into three replies to this! Your TV at home (assuming you haven't got some converter to plug it into a monitor or something) is a whopping 30frames per second, and it is interlaced. You will never see true 60fps on a TV.
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 8:28:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Before buying your next game console remember two words: Sega Dreamcast. This was supposed to be the 'be all, end all'.
View Quote

The Sega Dreamcast would have done better had Sega thought a bit more and not made their games so easy to pirate.  Game consoles are a losing proposition when they first come out, and always are.  The N64, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation and Playstation 2 all cost more to produce than they were sold for when introduced.  Where the console manufacturers make their money is off licensing.  If you can't sell games, then the console is going to die.  That's exactly what happened with the Dreamcast.  It's insanely easy to get the games off the internet and play them on a dreamcast with no more than a boot CD.  For a playstation it was a bit harder, as you had to modify the actual hardware.

Fear not, though.  The Dreamcast will live on in the coin-op world.  And Sega can get back to doing what it does best, which is actual game production.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 8:38:49 AM EDT
[#22]
what killed dreamcast was all the devalpoers where working on other systems.  dreamcast had only like 5 games that people said where must haves. Sonic adventure,Sonic adventure 2,Shenmue,Phantasy star Online, Skys of Arcadia.

the thing is all the devolepers went to ps1 and ps2.
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 8:43:35 AM EDT
[#23]
HALO KICKS A$$!!!
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 8:54:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Personally I would buy the Nintendo Game Cube because -
1) I personally don't like most fighing games.
View Quote

Your call.  I don't like most fighting games either, but some I do.  However, there are fighting games on all platforms.

View Quote

There were very few Nintendo only titles for the N64, most of which are for their franchise characters.  Most companies now produce titles for all the platforms, with only the parent companies themselves making platform only games.  However, Microsoft seems to be pushing XBOX only games in their attempt to gain market share.

And those loyalties of the remaining platform only product producers are fickle.  Squaresoft jumped from Nintendo to Sony when they saw what the Playstation was capable of doing.  The N64 wasn't even a rumor at that point.

3) For being $100 cheaper than X-Box, it is almost as good. (X-Box has a better graphics card, but it's an analog output so all that quality is gone and the Game Cube supports the same sort of effects.)
View Quote

You won't need to buy memory cards because the XBOX has a hard drive.  PS2 memory cards are still $30 and they add up quickly.  You also can play DVD's on it if you don't own a DVD player.  For parents that satisfy's Junior's need to play video games with mommy and daddy's need to play movies.  A lot of people still don't own DVD players.  Smart kids should be playing this angle. [:D]  Also, the analog datapath between the graphics port and the TV is irrelevant.  The path between your computer and your monitor is analog unless you've got an LCD monitor with a DVI connector and a video card with the same.  Anyone with a CRT is analog.

Who cares if the graphics card can do anti-aliasing at 1024x768 if the resolution of your tv is 800x600 at best. How you get that from 512 scanlines I don't know.
View Quote

Unlike the PS2 and the Gamecube, the XBOX was designed to be HDTV compatible.   That means HIGH RESOLUTION graphics (you know what 1080i is, right?) if you've got an HDTV capable set.  The big screen HDTV's are not too much more than their non-HDTV counterparts.

Historically high-priced gaming systems went the way of the Neo-Geo, even if they were better. Who else has/had a TurboGraphics16?
View Quote

Let's see...  The N64 was a high priced gaming system when it was released.  So was the PSX and now the PS2.  The Neo-Geo is still around in the coin op world, and I never had a turbographics 16, but a good friend of mine did.  I never enjoyed it much, but he didn't have any good games for it which is probably why.

Hell, if we want to get right down to it, the AMIGA platform was a better game playing system than any console or PC.  Unfortunately, that was also it's flaw.  That and Comodore's inability to effectively market the Amiga to people other than Amiga enthusiasts.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 8:58:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Xbox rules,
Halo kicks ass, and is a neat game to play.
c-rock
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 9:31:59 AM EDT
[#26]

If a company can port their game to multiple platforms then they have a larger customer base which is good for any company. They still can make games that are good quality, thought I don't know if Halo would be one that could be sucessfully ported to the Game Cube.

I don't know how big the XBox hard drive is, but if developers are not careful and allow you to download custom maps and stuff up the wazoo, you could end up with a full hard drive. I hope the XBox and games handle this grasefully.

Still, I agree that the hard drive is a better solution than memory cards. I never bought a game system that used memory cards and I hope I never will.

Most people don't have a HDTV and probably won't for a long time. This feature probably adds quite a bit to the cost for high-end users. This is more power most people won't ever use.

The DVD player in the XBox is very basic and won't replace the cheapest dedicated home DVD player. For people that don't onw a DVD player and want the XBox the built-in DVD player is probably a good deal.

Amiga was a computer that was ahead of it's time and really is out of place in a thread about console systems. Sure consoles are computers, but they are very specialized computers. You are right in that Amiga did suffer greatly from bad marketing and people calling it a toy.

Personally I won't get any of the game systems and will stick to gaming on my PC. The last console system I ever bought was the SNES.
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 9:43:26 AM EDT
[#27]
I have to chime in with the fact i got a N64 from my girlfriend for chrsitmas few years back, why did I choose Nintendo. Simple Bond. Loved that game, and still play it.
HOWEVER- very very few good games came out after that. I have rented many games and they all suck. Even their bread and butter Bond sequel is coming out on another platform.
Read Maxims comparison on the 2. Nintendo is coming out with more kids style games, as they did before.
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 9:52:48 AM EDT
[#28]
I've got both the PS2 and the Xbox. Both are great. Graphics for games on both are excellent. I've also got a DC and the graphics of Soul Cal are fantastic. Things just keep getting better though.

The Xbox is roughly 2.5x more powerful than the PS2. I haven't really seen it yet but haven't looked too hard either. The hard drive of the box is a great idea, as is the broadband capability.

Figure out what games you want to play and go with that system. The PS2 has a gazillion games available but I'm sure that the Xbox will be plenty. They are both excellent and you couldn't go wrong with either.

PGR on the Xbox is great but I still like my GT3. Halo is difinitely a blast. NFL Season is also just as good as Madden IMO.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 11:04:37 AM EDT
[#29]

retrodog:
Figure out what games you want to play and go with that system.
View Quote

I second that! Choose the games you want to play, then choose the game system. Personally I am an RPG and RTS (Real Time Stratagy) person so the PC is the system for me. That and I don't have a lot of spare cash to buy a console.
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 11:45:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Yesterday an ad for a racing game came on tv.  The graphics looked crappy, like something from the original playstation or maybe N64 and I was wondering why anyone was advertising this.  How were they going to sell it?  Sure enough it was for PS2.  I'm sorry, but PS2 has horrible graphics.

Not to mention that X box has microsoft backing it, which has a tendency to "win".  I'd expect a whole bunch of games coming out for X box in the months ahead.
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 11:48:45 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Too me the graphics of the PS2 are much cleaner than those of either the Gamebox or XBox. In the long run PS2 is the better buy simply because you can play all PS1 games on it. When PS3 comes out in two years you'll still be able to play PS1 and PS2 games on it as well so there won't be any wasted money on games. In the long run this will actually save many hundreds if not thousands of dollars depending on how much gaming you do. Also there are more used games available saving you more money there as well. AND, only one console allows you the sheer thrill of Metal Gear Solid 2:Sons of Liberty!
View Quote

Just thought I'd point out that if there's ever an X-box 2 you can bet that it will be compatible with x-box games.  Why?  Because X-box is bascially a PC, using a regular pentium III chip, a regular DVD, a modified MS OS, etc.
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 11:52:36 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well, considering that televisions don't run at 60fps why are you surprised?  I believe the Xbox is set at 30fps, which is the same for ever other console AFAIK.
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 11:52:57 AM EDT
[#33]
hell there all computers even the original nintendo was called Famicom it was changed to NES to make it sound cooler in the U.S. cuz nintendo entertanment system sounds better then Family Computer
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 12:09:05 PM EDT
[#34]
This is a review on the game cube.
[url]http://www.techtv.com/news/coverstory/story/0,24195,3361358,00.html[/url]
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 12:32:48 PM EDT
[#35]
i got this new fangled game system calle the Atari 2600  it has tons of kick ass games, like Space Invaders, Dig Dug, Centipede the list goes on... Graphics are an awesome 2 FPS in FULL 16 color.  It has 2 advanced high tech game controllers with 1 high speed button.  Get one of these if you can!!!!!
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 1:46:15 PM EDT
[#36]
the only game for the Gamecube that i like is Star Wars:Rogue Leader. other than that, i only expect kid games.

the XBOX will have:
1. Dead or Alive 3
2. Metal Gear X
3. Medal of Honor:Allied Assault
4. Ghost Recon
5. Halo
5. Soul Calibur 2
6. Battle Front 1942

i own a PS2 and find most games to be just renters. alot of them are too short. the best games i have played on the PS2 are:

1. Grand Theft Auto 3
2. Metal Gear Solid 2
3. Red Faction
4. Half Life
5. Dead or Alive 2
6. Summoner
7. Gran Turismo 3

the PS2's future games leave much to be desired. the Medal of Honor game looks like crap. more of a suped-up PS1 game. pretty much the same gameplay. Allied Assualt for the XBOX at least looks like a whole new game engine.

Wizardy might be good, but i dont expect it to be any better than any RPG on the PC. Final Fantasy games have run their course.

i see the PS2 and the XBOX as the two main contenders in the future. sure the Gamecube has the kiddie games and the grandparents are sure to keep the system alive by buying little timmy the latest pokemon game, but like the N64, its just a kids system.

libs opinion
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 1:47:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Xbox?  Why would I want to pay $400 for a low/mid level gaming PC?  Games that are great on the Xbox.  Sooner or later there will be a PC version, and it's going to play much nicer on a cutting edge PC.
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 2:13:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Xbox?  Why would I want to pay $400 for a low/mid level gaming PC?  Games that are great on the Xbox.  Sooner or later there will be a PC version, and it's going to play much nicer on a cutting edge PC.
View Quote

Actually, Microsoft has ensured that most of the better games will not see a PC for a while to help sell the XBOX console.  MS bought Bungie to get Halo on the XBOX, and probably won't see a PC for some time.  Halo was originally targeted for the MAC platform, believe it or not, and the game has been hyped for over 2 years, long before the XBOX was official.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 2:36:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 2:38:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Bungie use to be a big Mac game developer. They made a great game called Marathon which had a better engine than DOOM, but not as robust as newer 3D first person games like Quake. For some reason (overall) the IBM PC version was not as good as the Mac version.

Well that's Microsoft for you, hurting the consumer for their own gains!
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 2:53:22 PM EDT
[#41]
X Box. It has much better performance. :-)
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 4:14:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Hey, I'm in the gaming business, so I will tell you what I know.

After coming back from the Electronics Botique convention in Las Vegas last month, I had a chance to talk to several representatives of game developers. The general consensus is that PS2 is hard to develop games for, and that if XBox starts to become the sales leader (which it MIGHT do), then most developers will drop PS2 like a stone in favor of the much simpler programming archatechture of XBOx.

But, the PS2 has such a foothold in the market, that scenario may not come to fruition.

But still, in my opinion, get an Xbox. Many major PS2 games will be ported over to it eventually, and I see it as the best long term investment (4-5 years down the road).

Another wild rumor I have heard, that by late 2003 the Playstation 3 (that's right, THREE) will be out. Just a rumor from a drunken SCEA rep, but still a possibility...
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 7:02:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Too me the graphics of the PS2 are much cleaner than those of either the Gamebox or XBox.
View Quote

Not even CLOSE to being true, but hey... opinions are like... well, we know what.  [:)]

In the long run PS2 is the better buy simply because you can play all PS1 games on it. When PS3 comes out in two years you'll still be able to play PS1 and PS2 games on it as well so there won't be any wasted money on games.
View Quote

Riiiight... like I still play my Atari 2600 even though I still have one that works.  Sorry, but the whole point of a new system is to enjoy the new features.  By the time 3 years rolls around, the old games are collecting dust in the closet or have been sold/traded in.  

AND, only one console allows you the sheer thrill of Metal Gear Solid 2:Sons of Liberty!
View Quote

That's temporary as they are porting it to the Xbox I hear.

MGS2 is about the only thing going for the PS2.  There are lots of titles but 90% of them are junk games... boring or poorly written.

The Xbox will have TONS of games for it in a year and since the Xbox is based on a PC architecture, it's highly probably all the older games will be compatible when the Xbox2 comes out.
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 7:59:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Sweet. I'll probablly get the X-BOX when/if the HDTV adaptor comes out.

It will look nice hooked up in my living room...

Does it have any type of Dolby Digital out? Or is it just plain-jane stereo connections on back?

Av.
View Quote

The HDTV adapter is already out. I have it. It looks awesome. Also it has an optical hookup for Dolby Digital.
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 9:01:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
they (microsoft) had to use photoshop to forge screenshots. go with gamecube. microsoft wasnt mean for the console industry. i wonder, can the x box blue screen?
View Quote

considering i have played XBOX games, i would say the actual game screens speak for themselves. Red Faction and Half-life on my PS2 have nothing on Halo.

Gamecube=Kiddie system
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 9:35:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Since I started this war I guess I should tell you that I just came home with a PS2. I might have bought an Xbox if there had been one available.
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 6:53:50 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Since I started this war I guess I should tell you that I just came home with a PS2. I might have bought an Xbox if there had been one available.
View Quote

Eeewww... Well, it would appear only 5% of the Christmas shoppers plan on making the same mistake you just did (purchasing the PS2 over the Xbox or GameCube).

[url]http://www.tvguide.com/techguide/index.asp[/url]

The PS2 is yesterday's technology and the GameCube is a kiddy system.  If the player is 12 or older I would have definitely opted for the Xbox.  Just because they weren't on the shelves the day you shopped doesn't mean they won't be there by Christmas.  Microsoft is cranking production full bore and in a couple of weeks there will be more Xbox's on the shelves than we'll know what to do with.
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 9:16:54 AM EDT
[#48]
if u still think nintendo is a kitty sytem to obsaly havent seen the new Resident evil/Biohazard remake there coming out with
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 10:39:58 AM EDT
[#49]
wgunn, I don't see it as a mistake at all. It wasn't a gift, it was for me so the "by christmas" thing doesn't matter at all. I do like the fact that I can play "backup" copies of the PS2 games with only a minor change to my system. If Microsoft had gotten it's shit together and produced the Xbox more efficiently I would have probably bought one. If I feel the need, I can always get one next year.

I played my PS2 until 3:00 a.m. last night and am very happy with my purchase.
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 11:25:08 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I do like the fact that I can play "backup" copies of the PS2 games with only a minor change to my system.
View Quote

That "minor" change isn't really that minor.  You must open the case and replace a chip on the motherboard.  This invalidates your warranty.  Let's not mention that DVD games can't be copied, only CD based games.

If Microsoft had gotten it's shit together and produced the Xbox more efficiently I would have probably bought one.
View Quote

More efficiently produced???  What the heck is that supposed to mean?  They had FAR more units on the shelves than Sony ever dreamed of at the PS2's release and you [i]can[/i] get a Xbox if you look.  I found two at my local Target last night.  The day they went on sale there were 10 left over at my local Wal Mart where people waited in line all night (I was one of them).

If what you mean by "efficient" is that no one has hacked the hardware to allow pirating of games (which you seem to enthusiastically support), that's hardly an issue of "efficiency".  I assume this isn't what you were talking about.

The Xbox is light years ahead of the PS2 in terms of graphics, storage and speed... as it should be.  The PS2 is getting pretty old having been around for years.  The Xbox is also PC based so you can actually upgrade various hardware (screwing your warranty though) and software... something lost upon the PS2.  The PS2 uses a totally proprietary and wacky GPU and CPU which lends to its rather poor developer support.  Yes, lots of people make games for it but that's because until now it's been the best on the market.  Now that a platform exists to literally HALF production time (incredible dev tools for Xbox vs. total crap for PS2) and reduce the complexity of development, most game production shops will transition to Xbox development.  Which will leave the PS2 in the dust.

If I feel the need, I can always get one next year.
View Quote

Very true.  But it's always somewhat depressing to have to go back and make another purchase to cover for the bad one you initially made.  That's 4-5 Xbox games wasted on a console (not to mention the games you've purchased for the PS2) which you'll burn by correcting your boo-boo and buying the Xbox later.    I would take the PS2 back and exchange it for a Xbox once they have one in stock and save the money.  That's just me though... I'm funny like that.  If I don't buy the most cutting edge item available at the time of purchase, I beat myself up about it until I go back and buy what I really wanted (and should have gotten) the first time.

I played my PS2 until 3:00 a.m. last night and am very happy with my purchase.
View Quote

I would hope you would play it!  I played a buddies Nintendo 64 for several hours a couple months ago... I wouldn't run out and buy one, but hey... when that's all you've got to play with you'll make do.  [:)]

I hope you're really happy with your purchase.  If so, that's all that's important... but don't fool yourself, you ARE missing out by not upgrading to the Xbox.

This wasn't a flame by the way... [:)]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top