Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/26/2001 4:06:12 AM EDT
"Kentucky town seeks to ban hunting in city limits"
BY ROGER ALFORD
Associated Press

MOREHEAD, Ky. -- Deer that flee from the Daniel Boone National Forest into the city limits to wait out hunting season may not have found a safe haven after all.

A legal loophole, it turns out, makes even the ones nibbling on residential lawns fair game.

Mayor Brad Collins said local law specifically bans shooting guns in the city limits but no mention is made of bows and arrows, one of the more popular methods for killing deer.

Collins said powerful modern-day bows present a safety hazard equal to large-caliber rifles.

``I would dread being shot with a bow and arrow more than I would a gun,'' he said. ``They're very dangerous, and they'll travel hundreds of yards and still be deadly.''

Just how many hunters have stalked whitetails across lawns in Morehead is open for debate. Perhaps none. Perhaps many. Collins said no one is coming forward to admit it. He said the issue surfaced when he began getting phone calls from residents, tired of the animals nibbling on ornamental shrubs, asking if the practice is legal.

``We have an ordinance that says you cannot shoot a firearm in the city limits, for obvious reasons,'' Collins said. ``I just assumed we also had an ordinance that says you can't hunt. But when I checked, I found out we don't.''

That is likely to change when the City Council meets again on Dec. 10 to consider final passage of an ordinance that would ban bow hunting in town. The initial vote on the measure passed this month.

``There are people on both sides of the issue,'' said Councilman Alan Baldwin. ``Some people feed the deer, and some welcome hunters to come in and get rid of them.''

Baldwin said Morehead, being surrounded by the Daniel Boone forest, makes it ideal for deer. It helps, he said, that much of the city's residential areas abut wooded ridges.

``On any given evening, I could see 15 or 20 deer just walking by our house,'' he said.

Baldwin said the issue didn't make it to the City Council before some residents began complaining about hunters shooting deer with bows and arrows.

``My primary concern is the safety of the citizens,''[sex] he said. ``I think we probably need the ordinance to prohibit hunting with bows[sex]. In the hands of someone not exercising reasonable care, they are in fact dangerous weapons and can be lethal weapons.''[sex]

Councilman Harold Kissick believes the proposed ordinance goes too far because it would prevent people from even target-practicing in their back yards.

``I thought it was a little too severe,'' he said. ``It's getting a little too restrictive. But you can't have all this wild hunting going on either.''

[url]www.miami.com/herald/content/news/national/digdocs/112562.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 10:26:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't forget baning the point-ed sticks as well
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 10:33:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Ok, I can't use a bow and arrow anymore huh??

I got one word for ya!

CLAYMORES
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top