Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/24/2001 2:05:42 PM EDT
Today I was at the gun show in Dallas.  I was looking for a flat top, floated barrel, that will be more accurate than my 20: hbar (which is awesome with match ammo anyway, I just want better).

Model 1 sales was there.  They had a 20" flattop in stainless, and said it was a wilson 1-8". Does anyone know about these?  Is the chamber chrome-moly?

Is model-1 sales decent?

I asked him who made the upper, and he was vague in saying "The current gov't contractor."

I said "And that would be..????"

He said all uppers only come from 2 places, and everyone uses whoever is cheaper?

Anyone know anything about this.

And would a bushmaster v-match top be more accurate? Than a model-1???

BTW my 20 BUSHY gets 1.25" at 100 yds from sand bags, leupold scope, and BLACK HILLS 68gr moly.

Will a vmatch be that much better?

Thanks.

WL

Link Posted: 11/24/2001 2:49:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I can't tell you who made the upper; even Sheluk is making their own now. But with a propperly assembled barreled upper receiver, the upper receiver manufacturer probably isn't ever an issue.

I bought a 20" SS compenstated bull barreled upper from Sherluck two weeks ago. haven't had a chance to put 5.56 through it, but it put 10 22 LR rounds in one ragged hole at 50 ft from a rest (I do that in my basement to function test ARs I assemble).

I have built standard Model 1 kits in the past. Quality was acceptable.

And FWIW, no stainless steel barrel has a chrome moly chamber that I'm aware of.

A Bushy V-match 20" I had would shoot under 3/4" at 100 yards with Federal 68gr HPBT Match.

My Douglas barreled pre-ban Eagle Arms Action Master has shot groups under 3/10" with the same ammo, but it has an aftermarket trigger, which probably makes some of the difference. These rifles were also $1400 before the ban, the Bushy was $745 a couple years ago. [:)]

Link Posted: 11/24/2001 2:59:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I just took my Model 1 upper out for first shots today. accuracy was right on for groups... my problem is my front sight post is too tall... (not the one that came with the rifle. I have replaced the gas block with a flat top). so I had wonderful groups 12" low...

No_Expert
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 7:13:59 PM EDT
[#3]
anyone know about the rock river arms varmit upper?  

Ability to shoot under 1/2"???

WL
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 7:35:21 PM EDT
[#4]
The major manufacturers get their uppers and lowers from the same few places that do the rough forgings. The quality comes in the final machining and assembly, or so I'm told.
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 7:40:45 PM EDT
[#5]
TxLewis, I have a flattop 20" 1/8" Wilson BullBarrel that I got from ASA.  Not sure but I bet the uppers are the same as the ones Model 1 gets.  It is not chrome lined, chrome lining effects accuracy.  With a 4x12x44 scope and match grade ammo (handloads) I can easily get 1/2" MOA....and frequently put 5 shots withing the size of a penny at 100yards.  With cheap surplus ammo 1" MOA is the norm.  And this is all with the stock trigger!

So if I were you I would buy it....you will not be disapointed.  I do however recommend handloading to bring the best out of the barrel.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 8:09:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 7:56:11 AM EDT
[#7]
You mean they're not?
[:O]

These were Model 1 Sales though.  Think I may do it.

Thanks

WL

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top