Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/23/2001 12:04:04 PM EDT
I'm not accusing any of me of being sharper than you, and when I have to explain, it's not funny anymore but if you harken back to the guy who was posting pictures of his safe and gun room and I made some knowing comments about the casual dress of the photographer and none of you caught on and I gave up, perhaps you'll understand my roundabout sarcasm as I get to the point. But first, the explanation. One photo was of a nice shiny black safe. It was cool but unremarkable. The flash from the camera was reflected on the surface of the safe but hey, it didn't detract too much from the picture. What ya'll missed was that if you paid attention to what else was reflected, well, see above.
Moving on, we have a recent copy of the Army Times with a cover story about snipers and their shifting tactics especially as relating to urban deployment. Inside you have a picture of a sniper in training deployed inside a cinder block building. He is positioned to shoot through a small opening in the wall. The caption explains that the snipers are trained to position themselves far back from the openning to limit their exposure and chances for detection but for safety reasons, the sniper in the picture is set up relatively close to the opening. Here's the riddle. What condition is visible in the picture that makes that really funny? If you figure it out without seeing the picture, I'll be more more impressed. I know you don't care about impressing me but I will be anyway.
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 12:15:07 PM EDT
[#1]
The person that took the picture was too close to the safe so you could see his reflection? The camera flash metaphorically represents the sniper's muzzle flash.
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 12:23:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I've really got no knowledge of the picture you're talking about, but what I picture is a small round hole in the wall, maybe 2" across, and a guy with a scoped rifle a foot or so away from it.

With the muzzle pointed out the hole, but the scope looking at the wall, since it's mounted a couple inches above the bore line.

Close?
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 1:23:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'm not accusing any of me of being sharper than you.
View Quote

I'm glad we cleared that up....
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 1:25:19 PM EDT
[#4]
WOW!
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 1:30:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm not accusing any of me of being sharper than you.
View Quote

I'm glad we cleared that up....
View Quote

LMAO!

Juggernaut
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 3:09:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Treetop has the idea. When you are set up too low on a small opening, the line of sight of the scope can see out, but the bore is lined up below the opening. An inexperienced sniper will not allow for this and fire into the wall below the opening. In this picture it's not a two inch hole, it's a three or four inch deep trench cut through the bottom of the cinderblock opening. I got a kick out of it. I've also heard of this happening in a  police shooting; a swat sniper firing into a wall while his spotter is yelling at him  to raise his aim and the BG w/hostage is asking "whats that noise?" before the officer fixed his position.
ConnYankee, you got it but I didn't have any metaphor in mind.

Ar15fan, just to avoid any misunderstandings I'll take that in the spirit it was meant.BTW how did you mean it?[BD]

I gotta lay off the coffee.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top