Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/22/2001 12:08:51 PM EDT
I just thought I would post this in here for a quick answer.  I am looking at purchasing a scope for my new Remington 700VS that I am planning on tricking out.  What I have come down to is this.  

The M1 (52128) Long Range 3.5-10x40, M1 Target Knobs, 30mm tube, Mil-Dot, Side Focus for $749

Or

The Vari-XIII (51668) Long Range 4.5-14x50, Target Knobs, 30mm Tube, Mil-Dot, Side Focus for $699

The only difference I can find is that the M1 has M1 target knobs and the Vari-X has more power and a bigger objective.  Are the ruggedness and quality of optics the same?  Can I add target knobs to the Vari-X later?

Thanks Guys

Link Posted: 11/23/2001 12:13:15 AM EDT
[#1]
The LR uses the same M1 target knobs as the Mark 4 and made to withstand exposure without turret covers. IIRC the non-M1 knobs are skinnier in profile and turret covers should be used.

If you really want the M1 knobs I would just get the 3.5-10 because Leopold charges an arm and a leg to install custom mods. About 6 years ago a standard target knob install was $75 and is undoubtedly more expensive now.
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 4:15:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Actually checked on this just last week for a Vari-X III. They charge around $80 including shipping with a 7 day turn around.

Also checked on getting a mil dot reticule for mine and it was around $140. Harsh. Awesome scope though.
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 4:47:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Haven't seen the M1, I can share my experiences and opinions from my Vari-X III.  I put the Long Range Target model on my PSS 6.5-20 x 50mm 30mm tube.  I never really understood buying $700 or $800 on a scope, (before this the closest I came was a $250 Used Unertl 20x about 12 years ago for my Win 52B).   After trying out the Leupold I quickly decided that I will be upgrading optics my VSSF as well..   I was quite impressed with being able to see the .22 cal bullet holes in targets at 300 yards.  So in my opinion its worth every cent.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top