Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/21/2001 8:34:45 PM EDT
My wife is describing (if you are married, you probably know how bad the description is) a couple of problems.

I don't drive the car at all, so I haven't seen it.

1998 Ford Windstar GL 4.0L engine

Problem #1--When the car is hot, she will get out, go into a store and when she gets back, it won't catch when she turns the key.  She says she needs to gun the engine to prevent it from stalling.  Only when hot.

Problem #2--The car "shudders" when making a left turn--only when turning.  I can't pin her down if it is happening when she is at a complete stop and starts accellerating through the turn or when she is turning at a level speed.

Problem #3--The Brakes feel funny--I will check them myself, I have a set of shoes for the back, and will get pads for the front before I begin.  

The car has basic maintainence done regularly (oil, tranny, etc.), but due to school and work, I don't have much time to do much else.  It does have a "permanant" air filter in it, installed within 20k miles, and we drive in a city environment, not on dirt roads.

My '94 Ford Explorer (2 Wheel Drive only) needs shocks.  Any suggestions on relatively cheap ones (on-road use only--so I would prefer a softer ride for trips)?  I will have some free time over Christmas, so I will try to do basic repair work and winterizing then--I have done Brakes, Clutches, Timing Chains, etc. on other cars, but never on these.  Any diffculty in changing my own shocks, or just pay to have it done??

PS--the Windstar has an extended warrantee, but I like to be able to know what might be wrong BEFORE I take it to the mechanic (a few of the mechanics in this area are not what you would call the most honest guys in the business).  

Thanks for any help!!
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 10:15:01 PM EDT
[#1]
How hot is "hot?"  She may be overheating and not realize it.  I really hate dummy lights.  check the anti freeze lately?

As far as shocks, go with either Monroe or Ford Motorsports. You get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 4:41:04 AM EDT
[#2]
"Car Problems"

No thankyou, I have enough of my own. [:D]
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 6:09:11 AM EDT
[#3]
By permanent air filter I am guessing you mean a washable, reusable like a k&n it may be due for a cleaning. You can get the cleaning kits at the same place you got the filter.
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 7:09:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Sorry to be not specific enough--

1--"Hot" just means she had driven it about 15 miles towards home (not overheating, by any means), as opposed to "cold" when she just starts the engine.

2--K & N is the company, and it is only about 12k miles into it.  I will pull it and check the condition.

Link Posted: 11/22/2001 8:05:41 AM EDT
[#5]
I've worked on these vehicles, the over heat problem sound like a head gasket, common for this vehicle. The left turn thing sounds like a CV joint, most likely on the left side. When you do the brakes make sure you have the rotors turned, also the rear drums, if the are drums. The hard start when warm is coolant in the cylinders, one or more. How many miles on it? These are things common to this vehicle, but with out seeing it, its speculation on my part. Doe's it use coolant? if so think about pulling heads, new gaskets, and have the heads presser checked for cracks, if none, have them resurfaced! Good luck, will watch your post, if I can be of help, I have a repair manuel on your vehicle. Norm.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top