Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 11/19/2001 11:50:08 PM EDT
One thing that has happened is the pictures have dwindled from a series of 5 or 6 to 2 pictures. The other thing I've noticed is people can't keep the story straight and have added their own twist to it. What you have seen is this... [IMG]http://www.hunting-pictures.com/members/Dalliwacker/Ted&bear1.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://www.hunting-pictures.com/members/Dalliwacker/Ted&Paw.jpg[/IMG] First let me comment on these two pictures. They have not been digitally altered, nor are they a fake. So for all of you that think that, you don't know as much as you think you do. Now I will say, that angles, distance, and some other things can have different affects on a photo. The pictures you havn't seen are these... [IMG]http://www.hunting-pictures.com/members/Dalliwacker/Jim&bear2.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://www.hunting-pictures.com/members/Dalliwacker/JimTed&bear2.jpg[/IMG] And several others... Now let me make some truth out of the story. BS#1 The bear is not 12.5' folks, more like 10'. BS#2 The bear is not 1600 lbs, more between 1000-1200 lbs, but it isn't for sure as I didn't take a bathroom scale out in the wilderness with me. BS#3 The bear did not stand on his rear two, drop, and then charge my friend or I, as a matter of fact it showed no sign of aggression. BS#4 Whoever said the bear was killed on Hinchinbrook is for one wrong, and two someone I wouldn't trust because nobody I hunt with will ever tell you an exact location we hunt because we don't want to see you or the next Joe-smo there next year. I will give whoever said it the benefit of the doubt that it was killed in PWS. Now the facts...the skull green scored at 29 even. It will rank around 100 in the B&C records. The bear was aged in his mid-twenties. Had I or my buddy arrowed him he would be the new world record P&Y brown bear. Oh yah, that should kill any questions of whether it was a black bear or brown. For those that don't know what the difference is between bears, let me see if I can help out. There are three different species of bears in the US; black bear, grizzly bear, and the polar bear. Now the commonly misunderstood part about grizzly bears. A brown bear, a Kodiak, and a grizzly are all the same bear. What is different is their geographical location. Brown bears live within 75 miles of the coast, Kodiaks are obviously from Kodiak island (merely a brown bear) and grizzlies are those bears 75 miles from the coast (the only exception to that I have found are those grizzly bears in the very far northern reaches of Alaska). Generally the diets of a brown bear vs a grizzly bear is different. A brown bear's diet is mostly salmon, where a grizzly may get to indulge on some salmon, it normally is not as plentiful, it also will feast on carrion, berries, roots, and vegatation (but not that a brown can't). Lastly is one final picture I will share and it is my partner posing from where the shooting took place and where the bear was when we shot. My partner was actually flanked to the left of the tree and I stood where he is positioned in the photo. The bear lies 10 yds away. The bear dropped where he was shot, he didn't move a single foot. [IMG]http://www.hunting-pictures.com/members/Dalliwacker/TedShooting.jpg[/IMG] For those that want more details, I hope to have an article published on the hunt within the next year. I am still unsure of the magazine at this time.
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 12:40:18 AM EDT
Help me, I'm shrinking....................
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 1:01:53 AM EDT
Of course there's still one question on everyones mind..... What the hell did you shoot that big SOB with?!?
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 1:36:39 AM EDT
WOW!!! Somebody has WAY too much time on their hands.
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 6:35:16 PM EDT
Stealth My partner shot the bear through the muzzle (the reason for the blood), the bullet entered and never exited, it is lodged up in the brain. We havn't attempted to retrieve the bullet, and we will not do so until the skull has been officially scored. He was using a .338 winnie (250 gr handloads), I followed up his shot with two shots to the vitals using a .300 winnie (200 gr trophy bonded). His shot put the bear on his arse, my two took him completely down to the ground. We retrieved my bullets from just under the skin on the far side of the bear, perfect mushrooming.
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 7:10:42 PM EDT
Whatta bear! We got a few blacks in the N GA "mountains" we can hunt, but nothing like that. Jeez! Trophy Bonded bullets are great, aren't they? They're all I hunt with. They group good, too.
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 7:20:24 PM EDT
I want to hunt bear! That looks like it would be a blast! Thanks for the pics and story. medcop
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 9:37:54 PM EDT
What caliber was the gun? Did it only take one shot??
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 9:53:00 PM EDT
Dude, Regardless of what anyone says, a bear that squares 10 is a freakin monster and is a trophy beyond all hopes for a bear hunter. That is an impressive animal, and you boys are to be congratulated on your success. [beer] Chuck
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 10:10:40 AM EDT
Congrats bro! That is just freakin' AWESOME!!! [beer] Tyler
Top Top