Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2001 4:43:29 PM EDT
The wife wants an electric car buffer.Can anyone suggest the best kind/brand that will be easy for her to handle and not hurt the paint. I've heard that some have more potential to mess up a paint job than others. Suggestions?
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 5:01:40 PM EDT
Look into Automotive "Polishers" they spring a lot slower to Polish off waxs and things....Not so much as buff the paint. I have seen them in red plastic and they were about $40.00 Check out www.gem-industries.com or www.anexusa.com Meant for swirel mark removal. Good Luck Karsten
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 5:02:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/19/2001 5:01:17 PM EDT by big_guy]
This is unheard of, A wife that wants a car buffer? I think just about any buffer would do. I have never heard of the buffer itself damaging the paint. Damage usually occurs becuase of abrasives that get stuck in the buffing pad or incorrect usage. And I have never come across one that was hard to handle. good luck with whatever you get.
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 5:02:34 PM EDT
any buffer i ever used would burn the paint right off of sharp corners. even flat surfaces aren't safe if you just let the buffer sit-n-spin. in the hands of an experiened user and coupled with the right compounds, a buffer is the only way to fly, imo. btw, i make my own eccentric for random orbit rotation and mount in on a.....big arsed electric grinder! i buy them at garage sales. they are nearly impossible to burn up while buffing or waxing. those cheap plastic buffers sold at sears just won't stand much abuse.
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 5:15:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/19/2001 5:08:52 PM EDT by big_guy]
oh, by the way I use a Pneumatic buffer. They are easier to use and of better quality. If you have an air compressor this is the way to go. You can also vary the speed with a pneumatic. I have never used an electric buffer.
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 5:28:02 PM EDT
Originally Posted By seamusmcoi: The wife wants an electric car buffer.Can anyone suggest the best kind/brand that will be easy for her to handle and not hurt the paint. I've heard that some have more potential to mess up a paint job than others. Suggestions?
View Quote
haha... I read "girlproof buffer" and thought of the buffer in an AR buttstock! silly me. No_Expert
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 5:30:04 PM EDT
CAMPY is on the right track, I have yet to see any buffer that would'nt burn the paint off. I see a paint job in your future.[:D]
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 5:59:07 PM EDT
Originally Posted By No_Expert: haha... I read "girlproof buffer" and thought of the buffer in an AR buttstock! silly me. No_Expert
View Quote
I thought of some sort of a shield or barrier or neutral area to prevent females from approaching. I guess the word could also be used in its chemical sense as well (a buffered solution being less susceptible to changes in pH). Quite a language we have... [;)] Viper Out
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 6:06:35 PM EDT
Get her the buffer that comes with the daisy dukes and halter top........get yourself a lawn chair and a tall glass of......
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 6:08:21 PM EDT
No_Expert: ... I read "girlproof buffer" and thought of the buffer in an AR buttstock!
View Quote
Same here. [:\]
CIB: CAMPY is on the right track,.... I see a paint job in your future.
View Quote
Yeah, I'd try to talk her out of [b]any[/b] power "buffers" around [b]any[/b] paint job (that you care enough about to "buff"). Buy her a Sit 'N Spin! [:D]
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 8:37:55 PM EDT
Porter-Cable. Pricey, but the very best IMO. [url]http://www.portercable.com/cgi-bin/products.cgi?method=byid&prod_id=7424SP[/url]
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 1:53:45 AM EDT
I detaile cars for 2 years. Go with an orbital. Any kind of buffer, from el cheapo to the best industrial grade will strip the paint off a car better than brake fluid. We always gave the orbital to the "new guy" (myself included) because it takes longer to seriously damage a paint job with one, and if caught in time someone good can fix it with a buffer.
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 1:57:40 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Vinnie: I detaile cars for 2 years. Go with an orbital. Any kind of buffer, from el cheapo to the best industrial grade will strip the paint off a car better than brake fluid. We always gave the orbital to the "new guy" (myself included) because it takes longer to seriously damage a paint job with one, and if caught in time someone good can fix it with a buffer.
View Quote
You detail cars too? Dude, we gots to talk when my lease is up on my 2001 Maxima...
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 10:13:16 AM EDT
Just make sure it's warm. I hate washing when the water freezes on the cars. Very annoying.
Top Top