Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

A valid email is required.
Password is required.
Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2001 3:49:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/6/2001 4:00:57 AM EDT by DocK]
Is the AR15 significantly louder with a muzzle break than without? Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/6/2001 4:59:50 AM EDT
Yes, as are all firearms.
Link Posted: 3/6/2001 5:00:37 AM EDT
It is SIGNIFICANTLY louder with a muzzle brake. Also, those to the left and right of you will get a jet wash each shot. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my ak-shorty. But it is louder than others, by a far sight.
Link Posted: 3/6/2001 5:34:52 AM EDT
I was at the range with a BM Dissipator w/AK brake, and a BM 16" w/o brake. A shooter 6 benches down from me asked if the Dissipator was a .308. ph119 is also correct about people to your immediate right and left.
Link Posted: 3/6/2001 5:41:06 AM EDT
I was told a muzzle brake decreases accuracy, is this true. I like the way they look, but cant find many positive reasons for having a brake. Any thoughts
Link Posted: 3/6/2001 10:40:11 AM EDT
Muzzle brakes do decrease accuracy a tiny bit, as do flash suppressors. But unless you are shooting in long range 700m + competitions you won't notice the difference. It's not like your nice 1 1/2" group at 100m opens up all the way to 6". More like 1 1/2" to 1 3/4" - 2". With the addition of an AK brake on my M4 upper, it has noticably less recoil and muzzle rise than my 20" HBar with no brake/suppressor. I'd say that makes the AK M-brake well worth it considering that the M4 is about half the wieght which normally always = more recoil. It is extremely easy for me to pop off back to back shots on my M4 without losing my sight picture. I was telling a friend, it "felt" like I was shooting a Ruger 10/22. I've never stood next to my M4 to test the side to side volume. At least to me, behind the M-brake, the volume seems a little less than normal. I've seen some interesting up and coming concepts in M-brakes/suppressors that are actually supposed to increase accuracy. They are still in the research phase.
Link Posted: 3/6/2001 11:21:34 AM EDT
Fine for the shooter, a bit punishing for the folks to the sides. I've got a BM 16" carbine and the BM Shorty AK, so I get to test them side by side. Noticably less muzzle rise with the Shorty AK, though the .223 doesn't have that much to begin with.
Top Top