Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 11/17/2001 7:25:06 AM EDT
Since I have started down the path of divorce, I am no longer tied down. I love to travel and I am thinking about taking a 2 week vacation this summer driving cc. From SW VA I would like to go through AL, MS, LA, TX, NM, AZ CO, KS and back. I will NOT take an interstate. I am a big fan of Stienbeck and his book "Travels with Charlie" so it is just going to be me and my dog Gator, I want to see small town America in the deep south, the desert and the rockies. Anyone have any tips or advice to offer?
Link Posted: 11/17/2001 7:46:18 AM EDT
I notice the "Land of Fruits and Nuts" isn't on your list. If you decide to "Get your kicks on Highway 66" (I prefer the Depeche Mode version) there are a few places in the San Bernardino, CA area I'd be willing to take you shootin' to.
Link Posted: 11/17/2001 7:51:50 AM EDT
I would go to CA if I had the time but 14-15 days isn't much time to do it all in.........I rather spend time in the middle of no-ware
Link Posted: 11/17/2001 8:19:38 AM EDT
Link Posted: 11/17/2001 8:28:55 AM EDT
Originally Posted By DesertRider: I notice the "Land of Fruits and Nuts" isn't on your list. If you decide to "Get your kicks on Highway 66" (I prefer the Depeche Mode version) there are a few places in the San Bernardino, CA area I'd be willing to take you shootin' to.
View Quote
The land of "FRUITS" and "NUTS" coming from a fellow Californian. Come on now. It's not like we don't already have a bad rap on this board. LOL
Link Posted: 11/17/2001 8:59:06 AM EDT
Link Posted: 11/17/2001 12:21:38 PM EDT
MS is a beautiful, friendly state. Believe me, we aren't a bunch of no shirt wearin, pickup drivin, shotgun in the rear window havin, no shoe wearin, fat old lady havin, rednecks. There are a few though.
Link Posted: 11/17/2001 12:25:23 PM EDT
If you really want to enjoy your FREEDOM, leave the dog at home. Having a dog along is like travelling with a small child.
Link Posted: 11/17/2001 12:29:38 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/17/2001 3:35:06 PM EDT
This might be an itenerary you could like. Catch the Natchez Trace Parkway in Nashville. Lots of history along the way, real pretty drive too. Follow it to somewhere around Jackson Ms., go south pickup part of the beautiful Gulf Coast to New Orleans (be careful there). Head in the general direction of Dallas, then Amarillo, Sante Fe, then northwest to four corners area Monument Valley, from there head east to Mesa Verde (cliff dwellers) there to Durango, head north up the "million dollar highway" to US highway 50, turn back east across Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, and you're about home. The "must see's" IMHO, not in any particular order: 1. Gulf Coast; white sand, spanish moss hanging from huge oaks. 2. New Orleans if you've never been. Worth a night and a day there just to eat! 3. Dealey Plaza if you end up going thru Dallas. Union Station pretty there too. 4. Monument Valley AZ., probably top 5 most beautiful places I've been in lower 48. 5. Mese Verde Co. 6. Victor Co. (think I'm correct on the name) due south of Cripple Creek. Old mining town, but not touristy like Cripple Creek. 6. The high plains of eastern Co, and western KS. Hope some of this will help.
Link Posted: 11/17/2001 4:09:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/17/2001 4:04:23 PM EDT by Arock]
Mesa Verde is a must-see. You'll need a whole day but you can stay inside the park for convenience. When you leave go north a short distance thru Durango and north to Ouray and Telluride. Ouray is Switzerland in the USA. Going east from there by Blue Mesa Lake stop by Crawford, CO and eat at Joe Cocker's place.
Link Posted: 11/17/2001 5:35:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/19/2001 12:47:38 PM EDT by cnatra]
If your heading to Texas you definitely need to spend some time in & around the Hill Country. Austin,San Marcos,New Braunfels are all nice IMHO. In CO. Aspen,Carbondale,Redstone & Glenwood Springs are nice. Colorado Springs & Pikes Peak. Estes Park & Rocky Mountain National Park. Sante Fe is cool. Lots of good Tequila & hot NewMex food! yum! You need to plan a trip to Wyoming sometime. Yellowstone,Cody(a Great firearms museum here) & the Grand Tetons are Great! I've heard Glacier Park in Montana is sweet. San Juan islands in NW Washington are beautiful too. Enjoy your freedom!
Link Posted: 11/17/2001 5:53:07 PM EDT
For off the beaten path things in Texas, try here: http://www.texascountryreporter.com/ I also second the Natchez Trace. I suggest getting Tourist/Travel guides from the states you are planning on visiting.
Link Posted: 11/17/2001 6:01:17 PM EDT
Glaicer park in Montana is awesome. "Going to the Sun Mountain Road" and Logan Pass is fantastic, as is Lake McDonald. In the south, I suggest that you take the Blue Ridge Parkway from Front Royal in VA to Deep Gap, NC. From the Middle TN area, take the Natchez Trace Parkway to Florence AL, then drive to Oxford MS and stop by the Oxford Univ. bookstore and Oxford Books to stock up on some Faulkner and other southern writers
Link Posted: 11/17/2001 8:47:32 PM EDT
Agreed on Nawlins. There's a really great restaurant called "The Galley", just outside the city limits (I think the suburb is called Mineta, starts with an 'M' anyway). If you go through Utah, go see Arches National Park, where the Roadrunner-and-Coyote movies were filmed. Be sure to stop in at Yellowstone for a few days. Be forewarned, Montana's gasoline prices are outrageous, and the stations engage in price-fixing (a classic "shared monopoly"). Wyoming is pretty and unspoiled. And there's a nice road, Route 12, between Lewiston ID and Missoula MT, which is well worth the drive.
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 3:48:45 PM EDT
Try to check out the John Browning museum in Ogden, Utah.
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 4:11:37 PM EDT
"middle of no-where" Texas: The beautiful road west of Big Bend, Study Butte-Lajitas-Presidio. Said to be one of the most scenic drives in the country. Also while in Texas, Fort Davis and the Davis Mountains are in order. If you're an X-files type, check out Marfa Texas, and the Marfa Lights.
Top Top