Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/16/2001 5:11:16 PM EDT
I am beginning to wonder why there are so many Pre-Ban Receivers on the Equipment Exhchange, yet so few Post-Bans. It would seem from what I have heard very few want to part with a true Pre-Ban, so why.

I ask, becuase I have been scanning and posted an Ad in the WTB forum. I am looking for a Post-Ban Lower for sale in Florida (Private Sale), yet If I had a bunch more money I could have already had a dozen Pre-Ban Lowers, yet I only saw 1 post-ban lower and it wasn't anywhere near Florida.

Why are people suddenly parting with their expensive Pre-Bans. The prices seem to be dropping. Perhpas, they truly believe the ban will sunset. Maybe its something else.

Could somebody clue me in.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 5:14:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Dunno.  Maybe people who have been laid off need extra money and they are selling prebans?

Link Posted: 11/16/2001 7:21:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Believe it or not, I have traded or sold off five different pre ban lowers and still have four left.
The ones I sold were E.A, 2 OLY's, DPMS, and Colt.
I kept the BM and PWA's.
My reasoning was that if the ban does sunset, I don't want to be stuck with high dollar junk!!!
I figured I would cash in on them while they are still worth SOMETHING.

The PWA's and BM I bought before the ban. And I am keeping them.

I am going to order about four BM lowers right at the tail end of 2004 so if a lapse occurs in between the 94 ban and whatever else they come up with, I will get some non banned BM's again.
Don't know if it will work but it is worth a try.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 7:37:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Got a friend with a gunshop who about a month ago asked me if I knew why so many folks are moving pre-bans right now.  

I don't have a clue but I have heard mention of some bill before Congress that would eliminate the need for pre/post-ban requirements.  I don't remember the bill's number but what I remember being said was the pre-bans would have no premium value if the bill passes.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 7:48:34 PM EDT
[#4]
That's OK with me.
I'll hold onto my high priced junk.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 8:11:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Got a friend with a gunshop who about a month ago asked me if I knew why so many folks are moving pre-bans right now.  

I don't have a clue but I have heard mention of some bill before Congress that would eliminate the need for pre/post-ban requirements.  I don't remember the bill's number but what I remember being said was the pre-bans would have no premium value if the bill passes.
View Quote

That should be big news around these gun forums.  I haven't read a thing.  Where would someone do a search for such a bill?
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 8:18:54 PM EDT
[#6]
On Sunday I'll see the guy who mentioned that and try to remember to ask him for details.  He's the gunshop owner so he's closer to the bone on this than I am.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 8:52:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Just need a little extra cash.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 8:54:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 8:56:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
On Sunday I'll see the guy who mentioned that and try to remember to ask him for details.  He's the gunshop owner so he's closer to the bone on this than I am.
View Quote

Thank you.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 9:29:09 PM EDT
[#10]
As much as I'd like to see the ban sunset and all of us have whatever configuration we wish on our firearms, I'm also a realist.

Once the Government institutes a tax, even a temporary tax, does that tax ever go away or stay at a set rate?  Hell no, this is the Government, once it's been in play, it's not going to change.

I feel the same thing is happening with the Ban.  It will never be ressurected. Period.

The only time I can think of that the US Govt. actually pulled in their horns was on prohibition.

Why so many preban lowers, there's a lot of folks out of work.

Link Posted: 11/17/2001 8:27:24 AM EDT
[#11]
I'd say it's because the job market is crap (Fortune 500 companies alone have laid off over 1,000,000 people this year) and everyone says that we're in a recession (spare me the two quarters of negative growth crap).  I've had 5 jobs this year, and if I have to sell my guns to keep the family fed and clothed I will.  I know other people are in this same situation.

The Class III market is soft too, with guns moving below their own market value because it's a buyers market right now, not a sellers.  Good deals are easy to come by if you've got the cash.  Unfortunately, I don't have it.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 11/17/2001 12:05:19 PM EDT
[#12]
One reason could be that some police departments are upgrading right now. My local gun store has twenty NJ State Police trade-ins. $1100 each. old style without fencing around mag release, and Colt I think. In rough shape I'll add.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top