Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/16/2001 12:32:59 PM EDT
Just wondering why after all of these years ( 38 or so in service) that the M16/AR15 is still black. All of the camo schemes "worn" in different scenarios and the rifle is still black. Can't it be subdued with a like color/pattern? Mission specific coloring?
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 12:45:14 PM EDT
[#1]
When not talking about special operations, it's really not necessary.  What good is to have a camo'd M16 while dismounting from helo's and APC's.  

I think they know you are there....
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 12:55:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Black??  Mines green. And I hear some are purple.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 1:02:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Personally, I like the black look.  I had the furniture on my AK done in black synthetic.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 4:03:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I did mean SF stuff.
I like the balck look to, but I'm not snoopin' and poopin' in the boonies either.
Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 4:12:54 PM EDT
[#5]
To keep a low profile in occupied California I've got camo patterns to match my BDU pattern and my environment, don't want liberals freaking out when they see a person carrying a "black rifle"   With this rifle slung over my shoulder it disappears a fair amount against 3 color desert BDUs making it much more difficult for people to tell what kind of rifle I've got or if I've even got a rifle at all.

[img]http://home.bak.rr.com/varmintcong/AR15camor.jpg[/img]

You can bet your butt that others camo their rifles in the military, seen several camo'd M4s and M16s actually and if you've ever seen the promo that the Navy plays where they show the SEAL footage you'll notice a couple camo'd M16s there as well.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 7:43:34 PM EDT
[#6]
After I posted this a guy posted some GI in Afganastan with a cmoed M4. Just asnwered my question I guess.
I have been around lots of SF guys during training and have never any weapons camoed.
That's no ugly gun, uglygun!
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 7:45:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Ok Ugly, you have to share your skills with us. What did you use for that?
Link Posted: 11/17/2001 8:50:16 AM EDT
[#8]
It really sucks when you put down your gun in the woods and can't find it. [:D]
Link Posted: 11/17/2001 9:54:51 AM EDT
[#9]
The stuff I prefer to use is just like what a lot of the operators and bow hunters have taken to using, BowFlage by HS Camo.   Comes in little aerosol cans and unfortunately costs about 5 bucks a can, good thing is that it comes in a wide variety of colors and it's removable which is a big plus to those who change patterns as the seasons or environment changes.

I mentioned it in the other thread that in the US Navy television commercials where they promote the SEALs you can see a couple of pieces of footage where they're carrying camo'd M4s and M16s.  After being familiarized with the BowFlage colors I'd say that the guns they have in that footage is pretty likely wearing BowFlage paint.

here's my AR10 which I intended to have blend in with woodland BDUs while my 20inch Bushmaster is intended for 3 color desert BDUs
[img]http://home.bak.rr.com/varmintcong/AR10A4od.jpg[/img]

[img]http://home.bak.rr.com/varmintcong/AR10A4lft.jpg[/img]

There are a couple other guys on the forums that have used the same product with similar results, some of their patterns are the "leaf" layouts while others go for a dispersal pattern similar to BDU style camo.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top