Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/15/2001 8:29:15 AM EDT
The boss and I were just talking and the question came up about which firearms use clips. Naturally the M1 Garand is first on the list and we thought MAYBE the broomhandle Mauser. Does anyone know? I dont mean strippers, but clips that actually go in with the cartridges.
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 8:38:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 8:44:13 AM EDT
[#2]
The 1903 Springfield was designed as a stripper clip rifle, an exact copy of the 98k Mauser, because we got our butts whipped at San Juan Hill. The spanish reloaded their mausers with stripper slips, we reloaded Krag-Jorgensen rifles with the odd "dump 'em in" method.

Many detatchable box magazine rifles use stripper clips, such as the M14/M1A, which allows charging of the magazine while in the gun, and the M16/AR15 which may only be reloaded with the magazine detatched.

Snowmaster
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 8:49:58 AM EDT
[#3]
.............and the M16/AR15 which may only be reloaded with the magazine detatched.

Snowmaster
View Quote

or the upper receiver shotgunned or removed.
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 8:52:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The 1903 Springfield was designed as a stripper clip rifle, an exact copy of the 98k Mauser, because we got our butts whipped at San Juan Hill. The spanish reloaded their mausers with stripper slips, we reloaded Krag-Jorgensen rifles with the odd "dump 'em in" method.

Many detatchable box magazine rifles use stripper clips, such as the M14/M1A, which allows charging of the magazine while in the gun, and the M16/AR15 which may only be reloaded with the magazine detatched.

Snowmaster
View Quote

Why dont you go back and read the ENTIRE post?
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 8:52:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Carcano. Italian WW2 bolt action.
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 9:03:10 AM EDT
[#6]
I saw an AR-15 that used a real clip. It has to be opened up, then a clip inserted. I believe it held 5 or 10 rounds and the magazine was non-detachable. So, it wasn't a SAW.
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 9:26:22 AM EDT
[#7]
The C96 Broomhandle Mauser uses strippers, the bolt wont close until you remove the stripper clip.
But, since the bolt slams shut the instant the mag follower is depressed, the stripper is about the easiest way to load this gun.
But, no, the stripper does NOT remain in the gun after loading.
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 9:36:35 AM EDT
[#8]
The old Italtian Carcano bolt action rifles used a clip that dropped out of the bottom of the magazine when empty.
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 10:06:16 AM EDT
[#9]
IIRC, gatling guns used a clip feed system.
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 10:09:34 AM EDT
[#10]
a compulsive detail-oriented friend of mine obsesses over the difference between "stripper" clips and "charger" clips, and cites the carcano as an example of the latter. so it seems we're looking at the garand & carcano vs just about every other clip-fed arm.
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 10:10:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 10:13:11 AM EDT
[#12]
I believe the Lee Navy (Straight Pull) rifle used a clip that dropped out the bottom, similar to the Carcano.
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 12:03:25 PM EDT
[#13]
The enbloc clip that stays in the rifle was a Manlicher designe, most Manlicher rifles have the clip falling from the bottem of the fixed mag when empty. The Carcano used the Manlicher clip but a Mauser type action. Hope this helps.  
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 5:29:02 PM EDT
[#14]
My brother has a French Manlicher Berthier carbine that takes 3 round clips. The empty clip drops out the bottom of the rifle when you chamber the last round.

I have a broomhandle Mauser stripper clip full of Rem-UMC ammo left over from the Korean War.  My Uncle "borrowed" it from a Chinese fellow who didn't need it anymore.

My 1917 revolver in .45 uses "full moon" clips to take the rimless ammo.

It is a stripper clip: if when you push the cartridges into the open action, the clip stays outside.
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 6:00:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
a compulsive detail-oriented friend of mine obsesses over the difference between "stripper" clips and "charger" clips, and cites the carcano as an example of the latter. so it seems we're looking at the garand & carcano vs just about every other clip-fed arm.
View Quote

Springfields use "strippers", Enfields use "chargers". Clear as mud? [;)]

Cheers,
Chris
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top