Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/15/2001 6:57:26 AM EDT
Yup, sat in live from 9pm last night until 8am this morning and I'm the proud new owner of a Microsoft Xbox and Halo.

Man, Halo is UNREAL.  Words can't describe this game or this console.  I haven't slept now for two days and I spent 11 hours just sitting in line yesterday after work.  It's mind boggling guy/gals.  If you can get an Xbox and Halo, DO IT.

Time for bed...
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 7:02:13 AM EDT
[#1]
How old are you dude?  Buy a decent video card for your computer, and it will blow the XBox away!  PC games are much better than console games.....even the XBox.  

Semper Fi, BTW!
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 7:06:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Halo rocks..but it is a blatent rip off of KNOWN SPACE sci-fi novels it has components of ...

to name a few

Larry Nivens = Ringworld
Hienleins = Starship Troopers
Hienleins = Revolt in 2XXX/methulahs children

plus others

BUT IT DOES ROCK( I played it at my local babages)dont know if I want one yet....
Yeah PC games are cool but most console games are better with a few exceptions. thats why its smooth to have both.
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 7:14:02 AM EDT
[#3]
At ToysRUs I saw the PS2, Gamecube and Xbox all next to each other and I didn't think the cube or box were any bter than the PS2.
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 7:47:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 7:54:18 AM EDT
[#5]
console is better then pc you dont have to shell out 1k+ each year to play the latest game
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 7:59:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Instead you shell out money to replace your system AND your games.

1K plus a year?? WTF? I bought a P3 500 2 years ago. I JUST updated the video card for $200.

And I play recent games (Operaton Flashpoint, etc).

I spent less money than having to buy a new PS2 and new games to go with it.

Av.
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 8:03:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Ive got a PS2 and while the X-Box does have better graphics ect, I cant stand the way the controller feels in my hands. IMHO, the PS2 has the best controller out there and Im not alone in my feelings because Ive seen a review of a adapter that is already out so you can use the PS2 controller for the yet to be released GameCube. If that company comes out with a X-Box adapter then I would probaly get one.

BKVic
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 11:28:02 AM EDT
[#8]
I did the whole waiting in line one night for a PS2, but I don't give a crap abot the X-box or gamecube.  All my extra money is going towards guns.  I really liked the new Star Wars game for the Gamecube.  It was nice, but they controller is really ackward.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 11:28:19 AM EDT
[#9]
I build my own PC's, and I can build a "top of the line" system for under $500.  It will play any game out there, and the graphics are better than any console game!  I also have the capability to DOWNLOAD updates and other crap for my PC games.  You don't have that luxery.  Who wants to play a NASCAR game where all the Beer sponsored cars have the driver's names on them, instead of the sponsor?  It takes me 5 minutes to find and download the car that is properly labeled with the correct sponsor.

BTW....You can't get to AR15.com from your XBox!!!!!
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 12:28:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, I got up this morning at around 9AM, got ready for school and studied a bit. Took a test that ended at 12PM and then drove to Toys R Us, got in a line (only 2 ahead of me) and about 5 minutes later had an Xbox in my hands! I bought one of the last 3 they had and others were behind me buying one too. I didn't open it yet because I'm deciding if I should give it to my lil bro this Christmas, give it to my nephew, or hopefully sell it on ebay for $10,000 LOL.
What is Halo? Never seen it nor heard of it.
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 1:07:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Man, if I hear one more guy on a firearms related message board talk about going to Toys R US I'm going to kill myself!
STOP SUPPORTING ANTI-GUN ORGANIZATIONS!
Run a search on any search engine and you will find HUGE lists that will tell you where NOT to spend your money.
Shame on those who don't.
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 2:04:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
How old are you dude?  Buy a decent video card for your computer, and it will blow the XBox away!  PC games are much better than console games.....even the XBox.  

Semper Fi, BTW!
View Quote

i agree that the concept behind PC games is better, but console games do not blink back out to windows for no reason. plus you dont have to install console games. just throw-in a disc and go. then there is the "party" multiplayer games. not everyone over at your house can just jump on in on a computer game, unless of course you own multiple PC's that are networked together.

its also easier to sell off console games for beer money when your tired of playing the darn thing. no place i know of takes PC games in on trade. if you buy a PC game, your stuck with it unless you know someone who wants it.
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 2:13:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Semper Fi, BTW!
View Quote

i agree that the concept behind PC games is better, but console games do not blink back out to windows for no reason. plus you dont have to install console games. just throw-in a disc and go. then there is the "party" multiplayer games. not everyone over at your house can just jump on in on a computer game, unless of course you own multiple PC's that are networked together.

its also easier to sell off console games for beer money when your tired of playing the darn thing. no place i know of takes PC games in on trade. if you buy a PC game, your stuck with it unless you know someone who wants it.
View Quote

too bad consoles dont have more "adult" or "mature" games. most console games are too short. most of the games that are released on the ps2 can be beaten withing a weeks time or less. i beat silent hill2 in two days. no cheating or really even putting much time into it. about 8 hours if i remember correctly. should'nt have bought the stratagey guide.

GO Swat3, Rogue spear, Ghost Recon, Baldurs Gate, Star Wars:galaxies, and Neverwinter nights

the PS2 gets a watered down version of Baldurs gate that is nothing more than a Diablo clone (not too bad of a thing)

i hope the XBOX gives the PS2 a run for its money. force'em to make better time wasters.

Link Posted: 11/15/2001 2:16:36 PM EDT
[#14]
I have an Intellivision.
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 2:37:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 2:42:55 PM EDT
[#16]
How much was it?

Most people don't realize that these new consoles will play better than most computers save the latest and greatest for only $300.00. And the X-box has USB ports and is network ready. Pop in an external hard drive and Keyboard and you got yourself a PC. I don't think that most of these premiere X-box titles will be available for the PC for a long time. Microsoft bought most of these companies a while ago and will not allow cross platform developement.
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 2:43:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 2:47:31 PM EDT
[#18]
i personally own a PS2 and love the sytem. it has some great games out for it and i can play the original playstation games on it too. i also enjoy playing on my computer. they both
have great games. just my opinion.

[bounce] [50]
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 2:57:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Halo rocks..but it is a blatent rip off of KNOWN SPACE sci-fi novels it has components of ...

to name a few

Larry Nivens = Ringworld
Hienleins = Starship Troopers
Hienleins = Revolt in 2XXX/methulahs children

plus others

BUT IT DOES ROCK( I played it at my local babages)dont know if I want one yet....
Yeah PC games are cool but most console games are better with a few exceptions. thats why its smooth to have both.
View Quote

Bungie sort of has a history of that.  Ever played Myth/Myth II?  Blatant copy of Glen Cook's "The Black Company"
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 3:12:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 3:33:55 PM EDT
[#21]
brouhaha, you are pathetic.
I can just picture you proudly paying your NRA dues, then blowing a wad of cash at TOYS R Us!
Use your head!
If I'm given a choice between living in a cave and being a hypocrite, I'll live in the cave.
Apparently, doing five minutes of research and shopping elsewhere is just to inconvenient for some people.
Sad.
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 3:36:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 3:39:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Semper Fi, BTW!
View Quote

Dude, you need to read up pn the Xbox.  You think the geForce 3 is bad ass?  Do you know what the Xbox uses for a graphics chip? [:)]

The Xbox is a [b]dedicated[/b] graphics processor, no PC can ever match the latest and greatest in consoles, ESPECIALLY when we're talking about the Xbox which supports HDTV.

Read up on the Xbox and you understand why people are so excited.

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 3:40:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
At ToysRUs I saw the PS2, Gamecube and Xbox all next to each other and I didn't think the cube or box were any bter than the PS2.
View Quote

DUDE! Read about the Xbox [url]www.xbox.com[/url].  It BLOWS AWAY the PS2.
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 3:42:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Has it crashed? You better reboot now.
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 3:44:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 3:45:09 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm not surprised, if you are too damn lazy to do your research and change your shopping habits, then why would anyone expect you to try and find out who I am?
My advice is lost on you, that's clear. You will take the easy way out, and never think twice about doing it.
If one person reads this and takes the time to do a little research, then I will be happy.
Later
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 3:47:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 4:10:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Semper Fi, BTW!
View Quote

What!?  Have you played Metal Gear?  Just got the new one today from Target; can't wait to play it.
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 5:07:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
How much was it?
View Quote

I paid $314.00 for it with tax at Walmart.
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 9:16:07 PM EDT
[#31]
I paid exactly $324.99 for it (along with a free Mickey Mouse stuffed (animal?) which was a $30 value at Toys R Us. I never knew TRU was anti-gun.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 2:03:30 AM EDT
[#32]
WGUNN,
dont believe the hype. the NV20 chip IS a GeForce 3 the damn X-box IS a PC. the X-box is a 733mhz Pentium 3 and an nVidia NV20 chip with proprietary interfaces, a proprietary BIOS and a proprietary OS. im an engineer for an ISP and we got one last month for compatability testing. tore it apart and guess what.... its a non-upgradeable PC

BTW:  Semper Fi
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 4:58:31 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
WGUNN,
dont believe the hype. the NV20 chip IS a GeForce 3 the damn X-box IS a PC. the X-box is a 733mhz Pentium 3 and an nVidia NV20 chip with proprietary interfaces, a proprietary BIOS and a proprietary OS. im an engineer for an ISP and we got one last month for compatability testing. tore it apart and guess what.... its a non-upgradeable PC

BTW:  Semper Fi
View Quote

I know, that's why I said "do you think the geForce 3 is badass, guess what the Xbox is running"... yes, a geFroce 3 chip.  That's a good thing.

Yes, I know it's basically a PC... Microsoft wrote the core OS system... what else would it be?  That's a good thing.

A PS2 is a non-upgradeable PC too... with the exception, the Xbox has a hard drive so you can actually make changes to applications.  I'm not aware of any console that has upgradeable hardware, so that's really not much of a reason to bag on it.

The Xbox is a dedicated graphics system.  That's a good thing because the system has been engineered and tweaked to operate only in one environment unlike a PC... which gives it the edge.

It is absolutely the most advanced gaming platform ever produced.  It's not just faster because of an increased data path (16bit, 32bit, 64bit), this time MS went balls out and put a HD, real graphics processor, memory, and network connectivity in a console... and brought it to market for $299.

It's a freaking revelation in gaming consoles.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 6:05:47 AM EDT
[#34]
Alright, someone post a link to the businesses that are "anti-gun"!  I'm too lazy to search the net, and I'm sure one of you will do it for me anyway! [:)] I'll be staying out of TRUS, and get any toys I need at Wal-Mart.

Link Posted: 11/16/2001 8:07:19 AM EDT
[#35]
Why the Xbox rules:

Pixel Shader: It calculates visual effects such as shading on EVERY pixel simultaneously.  PS2 and the Game Cube [b]can't[/b] do this.

Vertex Shader: These warp, shade and deform (in real-time) full surfaces.  Once the domain of dedicated graphics workstations (a year ago), the Xbox does this in real-time too.  PS2 and Game Cube... they just dream about such power.  Can't do it.

High Resolution Anti-Aliasing: Most 3D games (PC or console) have stairstep jagged edges on graphic curves or other non-straight lines.  Anti-Aliasing smoothes these out, getting rid of the ugly bastards.  The Xbox does anti-aliasing with hardware... for the PS2 developers must code it in... taking away valuable system resources and increasing the development time.  In essence, very few PS2 games support anti-aliasing... if any.

Polygons:  Xbox can generate and push 125 MILLION poly's per second without slowing down.  That's TWICE as many as the PS2 or Game Cube.... laugh, and the Game Cube is to be released on the 18th of this month... Hell it's obsolete and it's not even out yet!

Bump Mapping: incredible depth and texture to rendered surfaces.  As you zoom in on an object, like a character, the detail continues to INCREASE.  To the point that you can see the weave of the denim in their jeans (if they were wearing them).  PS2?  Laugh... nope.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 8:59:45 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
tore it apart and guess what.... its a non-upgradeable PC
View Quote

Oh, and one last thing.  [:D]

What is the purpose of upgrading a PC?  To improve it's performance and saving money in doing so.

How much is the geForce 3 on the street right now?  Well over $300 man... The geFroce 3 card ALONE costs more than the entire Xbox.

The Xbox isn't a non-upgradeable PC as much as it is a disposable graphics processor that surpasses or rivals the best gaming PC's on the market.  PC's BIGGEST performance pitfall is that the most modern PC is still backwards compatible with 20 year old technology.  They are still based on the old x86 architecture which is why they are so slow compared to a dedicated graphics system like the Xbox.  The Xbox isn't bound by this HUGE shackle but your latest and greatest Pentium processor is.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 9:17:04 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have an Intellivision.
View Quote

Sadly, I still have one of those AND an Atari 2600 stuffed somewhere in the closet.  How pathetic, eh?

WWoodworth
View Quote

Heck, I have an Atari 2600 hooked up to my TV right now.  "Yar's Revenge" is in the slot.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 10:51:57 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 11:33:13 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Oh, they also donated all my original Star Wars, Transformers, and He-Man toys as well.  Good motive you think?
View Quote

Oh, do they [b]ever[/b] deserve a good killing for that.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 11:49:33 AM EDT
[#40]
I used to have the original Optimus Prime, the Decepticon guys (the green ones that combined into one big one), the original Voltron, He-man, and Star-Wars. My parents gave them away to my cousin who just broke them all! That really sucks.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 11:52:15 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 1:01:51 PM EDT
[#42]
I would think that that would be a fine reason.

I am a much bigger idiot however.  I had a sandbox.  All my toys went into the sandbox.  All my sandbox toys were eventually shot to hell with my Daisy 760.  I am an idiot. I am an idiot. I am an idiot.

Star Wars, Adventure People, G.I. Joe, Matchbox...

I did have fun though.  I really had some great battles going.  

Kids nowadays don't even play with their toys.  They just leave 'em in the boxes they came in.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 3:04:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Halo kisses Metal Gear Solid 2's ass. MG2 is the BEST game out there now for ANY system. Just got it today and it is unreal, way better then Halo.

BKVic
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 3:25:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 4:47:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Just bought Project Gotham racing for the Xbox.  You won't believe the graphics on this game!!  You would swear up and down you're watching a real car being driven.  Mind blowing...

Ahhh, I'm never leaving the house.  I'll post a list of my firearms on here tomorrow which will be sold.  I'm never going outside again.  [:)]
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 5:10:59 PM EDT
[#46]
I have two questions for the xbox crowd. I'm trying to decide which one to get my boys for xmas.

1.Does the xbox take CDs? Are they normal size? I can copy PS2 games on my PC with the software I have.
2. Does the xbox play DVDs and music CDs?
Thanks
Scratch
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 5:12:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Ahhh, I'm never leaving the house.  I'll post a list of my firearms on here tomorrow which will be sold.  I'm never going outside again.  [:)][/quote]

OK. Enough of this. I cannot sit by and watch, and do nothing to stop this madness.

IS THERE A THERAPIST IN THE HOUSE ? wgunn has gone off the deep end and needs our help ! Somebody......Anybody ????         HELP !!! [whacko]
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 5:34:05 PM EDT
[#48]
While you debate the wonders of the technology in the xbox (rather weak in my opinion, I'm part of the crowd that thinks it's a glorified econo-box) The technology doesn't matter, every generation of consoles has had better tech, but that doesn't sell one console thats the same gen as the next console. It's the games that count. It's always been that way, always will be that way.  Sony has major development support, and MS has made good head way in getting (read: buying) developers support.  The PS2's launch titles were rather weak, and the xbox seems to have the same difficulty.  However the PS2 is coming out with some absolute blockbuster games right now. GTA3, MSG2, Tony Hawk 3, etc.  The PS2 is established, but that doesn't mean MS can't break in (thow a couple billion dollars at a market, you'll get your foot in the door) and Sony basically did the same thing with the original PSX.  But MS also has to worry about Nintendos new console coming out at the exact same time.  Nintendo also historically targets young kids (not just kids in older bodies ;) ) while the xbox seems to target older buyers.

At this time my money is on the PS2, I'm sure the xbox will do well, but it's not the revolutionary new thing that some people make it out to be.  The PS2 isn't a great console either, but it has a good controller and tons of good games (playing all the original playstation games on the PS2 is a nice touch).  I'm waiting and saving my money to see which console makes it to the top and playing plenty of games on my PC in the meantime.

-FPC_blank
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 5:56:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I have two questions for the xbox crowd. I'm trying to decide which one to get my boys for xmas.

1.Does the xbox take CDs? Are they normal size? I can copy PS2 games on my PC with the software I have.
2. Does the xbox play DVDs and music CDs?
Thanks
Scratch
View Quote

[url]www.xbox.com[/url]

The Xbox uses DVD's and can play DVD movies or CD music.  They are normal sized disks (unlike the Game Cube).

Since you can't burn DVD's just yet, you won't be copying Xbox games.  DVD's hold about 5-6x's the data a regular CD holds, that's why they've gone with the DVD.

PS2 does have more games, but Microsoft has a 500 million advertising budget alone for the Xbox and God only knows how much development money.  I suspect the Xbox will ultimately be the console to own.  The Xbox has the PS2 licked in every department and the Xbox also supports Internet game play with others.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 6:02:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Xbox the only console to crash.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top