Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 6:06:19 PM EDT
[#1]
What version of window's is on the Xbox?
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 6:08:03 PM EDT
[#2]
The xbox even has some sort of parental controls. I wonder if they'll make something for us adults to use on the xxx... errr.... ummm. I mean xbox.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 6:11:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Here is a list of people/places to avoid:
http://secondamendmentstuff.com/antigun_org.htm
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 6:16:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Windows CE.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 6:24:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have two questions for the xbox crowd. I'm trying to decide which one to get my boys for xmas.

1.Does the xbox take CDs? Are they normal size? I can copy PS2 games on my PC with the software I have.
2. Does the xbox play DVDs and music CDs?
Thanks
Scratch
View Quote

[url]www.xbox.com[/url]

The Xbox uses DVD's and can play DVD movies or CD music.  They are normal sized disks (unlike the Game Cube).
View Quote

That's not totally accurate, it can play DVD's but you have to pay an extra $30 for basically a remote control to play the dvds. The xbox also doesn't seem to be able to play CD-r's which seems rather stupid, but I guess they are afraid of piracy which is understandable.

Since you can't burn DVD's just yet, you won't be copying Xbox games.  DVD's hold about 5-6x's the data a regular CD holds, that's why they've gone with the DVD.

PS2 does have more games, but Microsoft has a 500 million advertising budget alone for the Xbox and God only knows how much development money.  I suspect the Xbox will ultimately be the console to own.  The Xbox has the PS2 licked in every department and the Xbox also supports Internet game play with others.
View Quote

Unfortunately MS is spending all their money on marketing and considerably less on development of games.  Saying the xbox has the PS2 licked in every category is also inaccurate.  The processors in the PS2 is an amazing feat of engineering, if you head on over to Ars Technica, they have a great paper on the workings of the Emotion Engine.  The Xbox is more powerful in some categorys, but not all.  I still believe that the games are what matter and this will prove to be the most important factor when buying a gaming console.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 6:27:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Xbox the only console to crash.
View Quote

Ahh, a Microsoft hater.  Welp, about 20 some hours on mine with three games and no crash.

I know you probably think your PS2 is perfect, that's cool.  
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 6:29:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
That's not totally accurate, it can play DVD's but you have to pay an extra $30 for basically a remote control to play the dvds.
View Quote

Actually, it is accurate.  Yes, you have to buy the DVD kit to play movies which includes a remote.

You'll also have to purchase a connectivity kit to connect via cable modem/DSL to the Internet.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 6:33:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The Xbox is more powerful in some categorys, but not all.  I still believe that the games are what matter and this will prove to be the most important factor when buying a gaming console.
View Quote

I posted a list of GPU capabilities of the Xbox which the PS2 doesn't support.  The PS2's processor is 294 or so MHz while the Xbox is 733MHz.  The PS2 can't do anti-aliasing, vertex shading, pixel shading and can only do 60 million polygons while the Xbox can do 125 million.

What does the PS2's processor do that's better or faster than the Xbox?
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 6:36:00 PM EDT
[#9]
You're right about the selection of games though.  I'm sure Microsoft is fully aware of the need for quality games (hence Halo and their purchase of Bungie Software).  Project Gotham Racing is an incredible racing game... one of the best I've ever seen.

So, given the Xbox came out yesterday (literally) you'll have to give it time for games to hit the market.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 6:42:27 PM EDT
[#10]
[img]gamespot.com/gamespot/images/2001/xbox/halo/110201/halo_screen007.jpg[/img]
[img]gamespot.com/gamespot/images/2001/xbox/halo/110201/halo_screen002.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 6:43:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Windows CE.
View Quote

That pretty much proves you don't know what you're talking about.

The Xbox runs on a highly modified customized XP kernel.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 6:51:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Xbox is more powerful in some categorys, but not all.  I still believe that the games are what matter and this will prove to be the most important factor when buying a gaming console.
View Quote

I posted a list of GPU capabilities of the Xbox which the PS2 doesn't support.  The PS2's processor is 294 or so MHz while the Xbox is 733MHz.  The PS2 can't do anti-aliasing, vertex shading, pixel shading and can only do 60 million polygons while the Xbox can do 125 million.

What does the PS2's processor do that's better or faster than the Xbox?
View Quote

Play Grand Theft Auto 3.  Read this. all of it, it's rather long. [url]http://arstechnica.com/reviews/1q00/playstation2/ee-1.html[/url]  When dealing with a gaming console, there is more to it than fancy names for 'blurring' and big numbers. It's all about the games.

In regards to the DVD playback, I did use the wrong word, it is accurate, however I believe it is misleading.  My mothers mini-van can go 0 to 60 in under 4 seconds. but I have to throw in a v10 and lighten the load in order to do it. ;) The dreamcast originally came with a modem, and it's a 2 year old (and now sadly, dead) console.  I expect a console costing $300 to do some stuff out of the box with out me having to pay extra for the ability to playback dvds. (as an offshoot, it seems that the dvd playback package really is just a IR receiver and a remote, with all the ability to play DVD's already built in. I need to do more research on this, but at first glance, it seems as it's just a ploy for more money which is sad.) I do believe the xbox is generally more powerful, but the ps2 can hold its own. And once again I believe there is more to a console than what is under the hood (so to speak).  Many consoles that have been technically superior have lost to weaker adversaries.  I don't think the xbox will lose by any means, but neither will it crush the PS2.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 9:02:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I used to have the original Optimus Prime, the Decepticon guys (the green ones that combined into one big one), the original Voltron, He-man, and Star-Wars. My parents gave them away to my cousin who just broke them all! That really sucks.
View Quote

Shit, I got all the "Constructicon" dudes, more "Transformers" and even "Shogun Warriors"!  Battlestar Galactica toys as well.

I'll scan up "Devastator" later.
Link Posted: 11/17/2001 10:03:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Just got mine last night.  Sort of impulsive although  I think it was the last one in Des Moines.  I am glad I got it to a friends and tried to play a DVD because it was THEN that I learned you have to have the DVD player kit.  No one in town had them, all sold out.  Lucked out and found one of the Targets in town had a whole bunch of them.  Brought it all on home (60miles) Put in Halo.  I can't see that it is much better then Half life that I have on my PC.

Oh well, there it is.

patsue
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top