If an individual pays for mags from California
but they are shipped to another state is this
ok?
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 2:20:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Found on:
[url]http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/dwcl/dwc.htm[/url]

ARTICLE 2. UNLAWFUL CARRYING AND POSSESSION OF WEAPONS

12020. (a) Any person in this state who does any of the following is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year or in the state prison:

(2) Commencing January 1, 2000, manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, gives or lends, any large-capacity magazine.
View Quote

Looks to me like you can purchase and have shipped to another state.  Finding someone willing to do that though might be an issue.  I would guess that you would be purchasing the mags as a gift for an out of state friend...
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 2:31:19 PM EDT
[#2]
To clarify my self.
I have a buyer from Calif. for mags.
Buyer to send money by paypal but have mags shipped to Nebraska. Can I get my ass in a jam on this one?
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 2:40:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm not a lawyer and have never played one on television.  Kali law doesn't say a kali citizin can't buy them it says they can't import them into the state.
Is it okay to import into Nebraska?  Probably but I don't know their laws as well as I know the kali laws.

Anyhow, I'd say you're good to go.  What happens to the mags after they get to Nebraska is no concern of yours.

PS: See my first sentence and take it into consideration when taking this advice...
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 2:40:55 PM EDT
[#4]
while i am not in kali, here in the PRNY this could well be an issue eventually.

by my understanding, its not the purchaseing individual that matters, it is the destination.

so long as you are not shipping to a prohibitive state you are in the clear. what happens after it gets to its destination is beyond yore control, so your liability ends.

so if he goes to ne. and takes them back to kali with him, he is the perp, not you.

personal oppinion, support yore compatriots behind enemy lines, but doso quietly.

if anyone asks you are in the clear. because you didn't sent to kali.

hope this helps  the_survivalist
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 2:45:35 PM EDT
[#5]
I also always wondered exactly what "offer or exposes for sale" means.

Let's say you set up a website somewhere outside "enemy lines" in a "free" state and I look at your website from inside kali, aren't you "offering and/or exposing" the mags for sale?

Link Posted: 11/14/2001 2:46:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

personal oppinion, support yore compatriots behind enemy lines, but doso quietly.

the_survivalist
View Quote

I second that! We need all the help we can get!
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 2:50:27 PM EDT
[#7]
This law is not an  Oklahoma law, so screw Kali. I think you could send them to Kali and be ok.Kali law does not apply to Oklahoma citizens.  Its the purchaser that has to worry not you.
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 2:58:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Iceman, you miy be on to something there.  The law doesn't say you can't export into the state only that you can't import into the state...

You'd be exporting and your customer would be importing.  So, as someone else said, the buyer is the perp.

But then there is always that "offer or expose for sale" thingy...
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 3:01:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 3:03:45 PM EDT
[#10]
zapper:If an individual pays for mags from California
but they are shipped to another state is this ok?
View Quote

It's OK.

The only problem I can imagine is if you'd end up in front of a judge (especially a PRK judge), & it came to his attention that you were incredibly aware of the final destination.
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 3:16:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
zapper:If an individual pays for mags from California
but they are shipped to another state is this ok?
View Quote

It's OK.

The only problem I can imagine is if you'd end up in front of a judge (especially a PRK judge), & it came to his attention that you were incredibly aware of the final destination.
View Quote

That would be true IF you really knew where it was going. Just say all you knew was that it was going to a state that legally allowed the mag.

The only way they could get you was if you incriminated yourself.
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 5:54:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 5:57:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for all the help
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 7:22:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Ok let me get it right If I were to send a mag to john doe in kali then I should be breaking no law in oklahoma. but would I be breaking any laws in kali.  And if I were what can they do to a reseident of Oklahoman?
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 7:35:07 PM EDT
[#15]
New Term:

Caliban = California Legislatures.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top