Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/5/2001 1:17:03 PM EDT
Ok so I got this new Colt AR and it came with a rod in 4 pieces, and a couple brushes.

Do you guys keep this stuff in the buttstock and is there a pouch or something avail. to keep it from being loose and rattling around in the compartment?

Also one of the brushes looks like a normal bore brush but the other one, part of it is normal then some fatter bristles on the end closest to the rod.  What is this a chamber brush?

What other tools do I need for maintenance and cleaning of this rifle?  I've seen posts about barrel wrench among other things.  What would I need that for?  TIA  
Link Posted: 3/5/2001 1:45:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I keep mine in the buttstock compartment wrapped in an old piece of T shirt rag. The larger based brush is for the chamber and locking lugs. Get a bore snake for cleaning at home... just got mine and can't believe I was without one for so long. That should be all you need for routine maintenance, except a copy of the manual... download that from [url]http://www.biggerhammer.net/manuals/tm9-1005-319-10.pdf[/url].
Link Posted: 3/5/2001 11:13:34 PM EDT
[#2]
BTT anybody else??
Link Posted: 3/6/2001 12:04:25 AM EDT
[#3]
RTFM [:)]

good luck!

Tate
Link Posted: 3/6/2001 2:02:03 AM EDT
[#4]
For field cleaning, I use the Otis M16 buttstock kit. It has everythiong you need for when you're on a hunting trip or out camping for a few days and you don't want to carry a lot of extra stuff around.

For bench work, I use Dewey and Boretech coated rods with Shooter's Choice solvent for the bore and chamber and Breakfree CLP for everything else. I use Parker-Hale style wrap-around jags because for me, they help keep the patch from getting stuck in the barrel.

Does your 4-piece kit have a T-handle? If so, you can use it for the chamber brush. I avoid sectional rods for the barrel because they can scratch the bore. If you don't have a T-handle, buy a handgun rod and use it for the chamber brush.

Don't overclean because it can cause more damage than good.

I assume you know how to break-in the barrel. If not, find out how to do it here.
Link Posted: 3/6/2001 4:31:13 AM EDT
[#5]
I Second The Ottis Cleaner Works Great Wish I Had This In The Corps.
Link Posted: 3/6/2001 4:45:18 AM EDT
[#6]
The multipiece rod is a danger to your gun.

Sure, the US Army used to use it, but they have Uncle Sugar to buy a new barrel for them, do you?

Current USGI issue is the Otis buttstock kit for the M16, and a belt mounted kit for the M4 carbine.  Check'em out at [url]www.otisgun.com[/url]

I use the Otis system exclusively for all my guns.  It's a pull through cable system that cleans from the bore to the muzzle, won't harm the bore or crown, and cleans quicker since you can pull a tighter patch than you can push.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top